Sign in to follow this  
tinhead59

Windows7 64bit and FS9

Hello all

I am getting tons of aliasing on FS9 and it is really unacceptable to me. I also have the same problem with FSX. I run an ATI 7900 graphics card and the latest drivers also from ATI.  Does anyone have any suggestions please?.  I am beggining to think it was a very bad idea to purchase Win7.  Never had this trouble with XP 32bit. Thanks in advance......John  

Get rid of your ATI card and get a NVidia card.  FS and Radeon have never gone hand in hand...

DJ

You must be joking if you think I am about to waste more money and I think you are talking about FSX maybe and not FS9 which runs with my card almost perfectly. I think I will dump win7 and go back to a silky smooth FS9.  Thanks anyway..........John

Get rid of your ATI card and get a NVidia card. FS and Radeon have never gone hand in hand...

DJ

DJ,

Respectfully, your statement is neither helpful nor accurate, and I would think that any response would want to hit one or both of those milestones.

John,

I have to say that there must be someone far better than I to help you because I'm several years out of FS9, but  to get your started in the right direction may I ask exactly how the problem you're having is manifesting?  Are you getting Artifacts?  Disproportional or distorted graphics, or graphics displaying where the shouldn't?  Some screen shots would be very helpful.

It would also be helpful to know if the problems occurs under all conditions, or if there are certain conditions under which the problem is worse.

Happy to do what I can to help until one of the FS9 guys come around to this thread.

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

Which version of Win 7 are you running? (Home Premium, Pro, 32 or 64 bit. Have you updated your Radeon drivers? How is FS being scaled to you monitor. Ideally it should be set for one of the monitor's native resolutions or evenly divided down  (LCD flat panel). See your monitor manual. In addition check the display settings in FS itself.

Is FS a fresh install or did you bring FS9.cfg over. If so, it may have old display settings in it.

There are various settings in your driver regarding anti-aliasing as well as FS itself as I recall. Check in the hardware forum here.

Is your Radeon chip on the motherboard using shared memory?

Hi all

Sorry about the delay here are my Specs

Processor- Intel® Core i7-2700K CPU @350GHz

Ram 16 GB

64 Bit Operating System

Windows 7 Professional

Display Adapter - AMD Radeon R9 200 / HD 7900 Series

I am sorry I cannot show snap shots as I have no idea how to do that,. The problem is that the leading edges and trailing edges are all jagged and all buildings are as if they are made of jelly and being shaken around. I am sure you all have experienced this at some time during your flight simming experiences.

When I was running XP and FS9 on the same rig I had the same problem but I was able to just about fully overcone the problem using the catalyst control center in a matter of seconds and my XP was 32bit. But the catalyst center in Win7 64bit does not give me the same options. I tried installing the older drivers but Win7 Po Pood that idea.  Last night I tried removing Win7 and re installing XP but part way through the process I kept getting a blue screen basicly telling me that I need to run check disk and then it would not allow that either so I am in no mans land again guys.

Does anyone have an idea on what I may be able to do please?  I am not a teckie so simple if possible would be better for me. Or maybe an online chat and walk me through whatever you might have iin mind.

I really am really thankfull to you all for jumping in to help guys.

I look forward to hear you thoughts when you have time..........John

I have FS9 running on a Dell laptop with W7 Pro 64 bit, i5 2.5 and a Radeon 5000 1Gb standalone GPU. My CCC Settings are set to use the Application Settings in FS9 (Antialiasing checked, MIPS @ 6), and FPS locked @ 29.

Everything runs and looks fine; no stutters or shimmers.

We need to see a Screenshot of your Issue; it makes the diagnostic process easier.

Alan  :smile:

COSIMbanner_AVSIM3.jpg

Linhead,

I'm running a dual core, 4GB RAM, ATI Radeon 4550, Win7 Pro 64-bit system...ancient by today's standards and I get excellent results in FS9 (sliders maxed) and very decent results in FSX.

I checked my CCC settings...for the 4550 remember may not look anything like CCC for your 7900...and they are fairly middle of the road

Smoothness Antialiasing is set to use application settings.

Filter is set to Box

MipMaps is set to High Quality

Wait for Vertical Refresh is Off, unless the application specifies a need for it

Adaptive Antialiasing is disabled

GPU Clock is set to 625MHz

Memory Clock is set to 500MHz

Temp runs at a fairly steady 74 degrees C

Fan Speed is only at 30% for noise reduction

My FS9 looks amazing, even with payware airports and aircraft and FSGenesis and Ultimate Terrain addons, HD Clouds and ASE using REX textures as well as Simmerskys Night Lighting.

Doubt this helps you, but you never know so I thought I'd post.

Randy

John,

If I remember correctly, FS9 doesn't have a default screen shot command/key per se, but what you can do is:

1 - Hit the key above "Insert", which is "Print Scrn"
2 - Open "paint" (in programs, "accessories"),

3.  Once Paint is open, click on the program (top) bar so that Paint is the selected program for input), and select "Paste" from the upper left menu in Paint.

4. Then you can save the screen shot you took in any file format you wish.  I highly recommend you use JPG because it will have the smallest file size.  NOTE:  If necessary, "resize" the screen shot to ensure that it's somewhere below 500kb. This will ensure that you can include it in your AVSIM post and that we'll be able to load it without taking up too much time or resources.

Alternatively, you can download a freeware program called ScreenPrint32 (Google is your friend).  I know that everyone has their favorite Screen Capture program, but I've used about everyone out there and checked them carefully, and ScreenPrint32 has been my favorite for a very, very long time.

Hope this helps you my friend.  A few screen shots of what you're experiencing will go a long way to helping solve your problem.

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

There are AA issues for some people including me if you are trying to enable AA through CCC with the latest drivers. They have a serious bug. The older drivers work fine and will work with Win 7. I was running very old drivers for a long time without issues.
To troubleshoot, first step, leave your ATI drivers at default settings and turn AA on in FS. This should work and you should see a difference?

Regarding the nVidia/ATI debate, I've owned many nVidia's in the past. I've personally found the ATI's across a number of applications including FS work much better. I was hesitant when I first changed to ATI as nVidia was what I knew inside/out but anyone will have a hard time getting me to switch back now. There will always be certain system config's which one card may work best over the other. So far except for the stupid AA bug which hopefully will get fixed soon, I couldn't fault ATI. 

Mark Daniels

Hi Skywatcher

Thanks for your reply which I tried and nothing changed at all.  I still have saw tooth edges on everything in FS9 and of course 32bit drivers cannot be in stalled on a 64bit system.  This has all been going on ever since I installed Win7-64bit Pro.  My only question now is how can I get my system to allow me to re install XP 32bit I know for sure that going back to XP will solve my problems in no time flat.

Hi John,

You could go back to XP, format the machine if you need to but XP is old and Win 7, ATI cards do work. Something is wrong somewhere on your system if you have no AA whatsoever. It's up to you naturally but I would look to find the cause because you can only go backwards with operating systems for so long. The problem may be something as simple as AA being disabled in a configuration file. Change a 0 to a 1 somewhere and you may find all your problems solved! I would look for something like this first before just tossing Win 7 out the door. Maybe start with deleting your fs9.cfg file and restart FS. FS will rebuild it on startup. Good luck with whatever route you take!

Mark Daniels

Hi Skywatcher

Thanks so much for doing what you could to help.  I never had these problems with XP and the only reason I purchased Win7 was I wanted to re install XP and clean up my system but I had mislaid my XP seriel and of course you cannot re purchase XP anymore and the my only option was to purchase another operating system  Win7 was recomended and I should have followed my own instincts.  Also I got fed up with trouble shooting so the system is now with my favourite tech at Canada Computers and I will have it back in a few days ready to go.  So thanks one and all who jumped in and tried to help me.    Good night friends........John