Sign in to follow this  
Murmur

Still experimenting with clouds.

Had never ever flown @FL300 :) but here I did.  Some clouds @FL300, had a difficult time with the Autopilot as this was the first time I have tried to use it. 

737_1.jpg

You could also trying a further increase of "sim/private/controls/clouds/first_res_3d" from 2 to 3, and at the same time reducing the plot_radius a little (1.2 - 1.3 or so). Also, you could try decreasing "sim/private/controls/clouds/last_res_3d" from 5 to 4, this limits the cloud draw distance but is only noticeable on some limited situations.

With these changes, your FPS should increase more. But remember that any time you changes any dataref, you have to do a weather regeneration to make sure all changes influence visuals AND performance.

To do a weather regeneration, you can just move e.g. the visibility slider and then put it back (you'll see the clouds redrawing in the weather screen when you do that).

This sounds good Murmur, I should be able to do this test after lunch very hungry.  

But I think the datarefs are not changing in real time. 

Right now with the default terrain mesh + Eadt 737-800 @Vancouver heading NE towards Calgary (Alberta) with X-ivap the sim is going even better than FS9. A 6 a.m. flight and transition to daylight is pretty good.

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

That one looks great Zulfi ?  What 737 are you flying there ?  Or is it a 727 ?

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

That one looks great Zulfi ?  What 737 are you flying there ?  Or is it a 727 ?

Hey Jose,

I am using the Eadt 737-800 model. But it only has a 2d pit and still like flying it.

Zulfi, honestly I still prefer 2d cockpits over most 3d, specially for airliners.

In a glider simulation, or combat flight sim, where I like to have the closest to RL perspective, I may prefer a 3d pit, but other than that, by far 2d is my preference.

How is it going with the Great ( in size and modeling quality ) SSG 748i ?

On November 2014 I landed ( in the cockpit of an A320 ) at EDDF, and while taxiing from 07R to the parking lot I was able to see from really close those beautiful 748s...

The SSG model renders that remarkable sensation of riding such a powerful aircraft, powered by those 4 huge GEs...

At lower GWs, it's a true rocket, in X-Plane 10 just like IRL.

Have you tried any long haul with it ?

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Zulfi, honestly I still prefer 2d cockpits over most 3d, specially for airliners.

In a glider simulation, or combat flight sim, where I like to have the closest to RL perspective, I may prefer a 3d pit, but other than that, by far 2d is my preference.

How is it going with the Great ( in size and modeling quality ) SSG 748i ?

On November 2014 I landed ( in the cockpit of an A320 ) at EDDF, and while taxiing from 07R to the parking lot I was able to see from really close those beautiful 748s...

The SSG model renders that remarkable sensation of riding such a powerful aircraft, powered by those 4 huge GEs...

At lower GWs, it's a true rocket, in X-Plane 10 just like IRL.

Have you tried any long haul with it ?

Yes for the jumbos I do like the 2d pit because of so many complex systems.

The SSG 747-8 is very nice to fly.

I have never done a flight of more than 30 minus, but now I feel like doing some from Canada-US or Europe inter countries, I don't want to fly above the ocean if there are no clouds. 

A long sounds good in 747-8 hmm maybe from KBFI to somewhere in Alaska. 

BUT I DON"T KNOW HOW TO FLY THE JUMBOS

Richard,

thx for asking... I was about to do the same, but as a programmer and IT professional for quite a long time, I was a bit ashamed of asking such a thing.... :-)

Lol no problems,

One thing I know I've learnt is never be afraid to ask questions :-)

Richard

i7-12700K | Noctua NH-D15S Black Version | MSI Pro Z690 - A | 32 GB DDR4 3600 | Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 | 1TB WD Blue NMVe (MSFS 2020) | 500 GB WD Black Gen 4 NVMe | 4TB WD Black Conventional | Fractal Design Torrent Case | Seasonic 1000W Gold Plus PSU | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Honeycomb Throttle | Airbus Side Stick | Virpil Rudder Pedals | Sony X90K 55 Inch TV |

mmBbmS1.png

This is on the lenovo flex 2 which only has 4GB RAM but VRAM is 2GB. Because of the 4GB the load times were awful.

Airport is Nice-LFMN with HD + UHD with NOAA weather. Like the way the clouds look

737_1.jpg

Those MOD clouds are really much better than the default !

Beware that anything bellow 20 fps will compromise the FDM performance....

Main Simulation Rig:

Yes I am aware of it,  15 fps was only for a fraction. I do get around 19-20 fps here. 

Amazing in Vancouver right now

dr400_2.jpg

Airport is Nice-LFMN with HD + UHD with NOAA weather. Like the way the clouds look

Those clouds are great!

Actually, I think that starting from some recent release, X-Plane flight and physics model slows down when going below 20 fps. So the flight model should not be compromised, but in that case the entire simulation runs in slow-motion (not nice either :smile: ).

Some aircraft though (light or fast ones), require more than 20 fps to avoid flight model instabilities. Increasing "flight model per cycle" value" can help in that case.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

Those clouds are great!

Those are your clouds.

737_124538.jpg

Is there any fix to that stupid whitewash ? The thing is the sky looks all clear but after a certain altitude a complete whitewash of clouds and after going above it looks all clear down again. 

You'll need the dataref editor - art controls.

"skyc/white_out_in_clouds" set it from 1 to 0

Sorted.

Thanks, did it.