Sign in to follow this  
Dougal

Full Screen View?

I can, along with others, get smoothness with 30fps so I still fail to see what the problem is.

-Jim

What you're saying is that you're getting the same smoothness at 30 FPS and 60 FPS. Since smoothness is a subjective term, let's rather say rendering frames in connection to vsync and monitor refresh rates. You clearly don't know what I'm talking about and my english language and technical capabilities are not good enough to explain it to you any better, sorry.

What I am saying is that I get smooth frames at the default refresh rate.  Yes, smoothness may be a subjective term, but more so about how long you can stand staring at the same location long enough to detect any type of stutter, pause or otherwise.  I may be looking at this all wrong or perhaps I am one of those odd people who get into an aircraft and pay more attention to flying it rather than being a pseudo-passenger looking for my house from 6,000 feet.  One thing I always keep in mind is that this is a simulator and not real life.

Btw, your English is fine.

-Jim

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

The advantage is we can place other windows on top, but it's locked to the desktop vsync. Some systems have trouble with aero themes which can produce tearing from dropping the vsync. NVidia vsync modes are only available in exclusive mode (like FSX Fullscreen). The vsync modes in exclusive mode were not really making the difference, but this also provides an fps limiter which helped smoothness when FSX is set to Unlimited fps, but also improved smoothness with locked fps settings of 1/4, 1/3, 1/2 refresh rates of the monitor were chosen. Even so with P3D we get still get best smoothness choosing those frequencies for the fixed fps setting. For example, on a 60Hz monitor we get best results from setting 15, 20, and 30 fixed frame rates. We see that the ALT+ENTER keys are used to change from fullscreen to windowed mode, this is universal, whatever the program. The ALT+ENTER keys usually switch between windowed and exclusive mode, but with P3D that gets the system to measure up the fullscreen mode, then P3D sizes the window to fill that minus its caption and border.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

Ok, so now for a dumb question, does this functionality change between Win 7, 8 or 10?  I didn't mention it before, but I am using Windows 10.  You said something about themes and a tearing issue, which I used to have, but after tweaking nvidia inspector and having the right graphics driver, I eliminated that issue.  With the move to Windows 10, I have yet to experience the tearing and I probably won't now.  

-Jim

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

What I am saying is that I get smooth frames at the default refresh rate.  Yes, smoothness may be a subjective term, but more so about how long you can stand staring at the same location long enough to detect any type of stutter, pause or otherwise.  I may be looking at this all wrong or perhaps I am one of those odd people who get into an aircraft and pay more attention to flying it rather than being a pseudo-passenger looking for my house from 6,000 feet.  One thing I always keep in mind is that this is a simulator and not real life.

Btw, your English is fine.

-Jim

I suppose you never used FSX or heard for this setting. It's a setting/tweak known for a long time in FS community and in FSX worked because it had true full screen. It's not only a FSX thing it's a hardware thing, just how monitors work in general and since P3D doesn't have true full screen it doesn't work here. That doesn't mean you can't get "smooth" experience, it's just that with 1/2 refresh rate Vsync you'd get even more "smoothness" but as I said before, it's not just about subjective perception of smoothness it's also about how hardware, particularly monitors, work.

I suppose you never used FSX or heard for this setting. It's a setting/tweak known for a long time in FS community and in FSX worked because it had true full screen. It's not only a FSX thing it's a hardware thing, just how monitors work in general and since P3D doesn't have true full screen it doesn't work here. That doesn't mean you can't get "smooth" experience, it's just that with 1/2 refresh rate Vsync you'd get even more "smoothness" but as I said before, it's not just about subjective perception of smoothness it's also about how hardware, particularly monitors, work.

Yep, never used FSX...what is FSX?

-Jim

does this functionality change between Win 7, 8 or 10?

it's the same

Would a g-sync monitor fix this?

G-Sync runs at or above the normal monitor refresh rate. Whereby the refresh timing increases to apply to each new frame, once fps is running above normal frequency. That's great for twitch games. With P3D the best thing to do is ensure the fixed rate is set to a fraction of the monitor frequency, example with 60Hz monitor is 60, 30, 20. If the fixed setting can't be thoroughly maintained, then it won't work and will be frames wasted. Fixed mode requires double or more the normal fps showing with unlimited setting because it's making look ahead frames with fixed fps. That's why you see 20 and 30 fps mentioned.

G-Sync runs at or above the normal monitor refresh rate.

Not entirely correct, I have my monitor set at 144hz, frames unlimited and G-Sync kicks in at 31-35 fps, and i average around 40-45fps in P3dv3... There is a G-Sync indicator you enable which indicates when the G-sync is working.. i`ve spent hundreds of hours setting it up and its the best settings, smooth and fluid experience, that is until you get 3 or more layers of cloud then it grinds to a halt....!!

tpewpb-6.png

I'm correct I'm saying your "normal" rate being 30Hz.

Perhaps for g-sync, if you can get one starting at 30Hz, it would be better to lock at 40fps in the sim or so, and set the normal g-sync frequency to 30. So g-sync is always "kicked in", but instead stays with the sim when it drops down from 40. Since it's synced even at 40, it would be better than a 60Hz monitor needing 60fps all the time.

This is getting interesting, because I have a new Gsync monitor and I have been told to go with unlimited FPS, and disable anything to do with Vsync in NCP and NVI. So far(6 months now) I love watching the frame rate counter at average 100 FPS. And up to 174!! Over or near my FSDreamteam airports I do drop to around 40 FPS.

Mike

TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI)MOTHERBOARD 
AMD Ryzen 5 5900X CPU-LIQUID COOLED
AMD RADEON RX 6900 XT
32GB RAM G-SKILL TRIDENT Z
SAMSUNG SSD 980 PRO 2TB

Notice the camera settings PitchPanRate, HeadingPanRate, PanAcceleratorTime, are based on time interval. So the problem for Unlimited is that when the view sweeps, the frame rate increases and decreases with scene complexity. When panning the view in unlimited, and the fps is below the refresh rate of the monitor, it can be seen to speed up and slow down. The simulation works based on an equal time between frames from the use of the D3D pre-rendered mode. Problem is if you have 80fps to 120fps all day, you can just about get away with fixed 40fps.