Sign in to follow this  
G-BANX

Does P3D3 Require tweaking

Hi All,

I was thinking of purchasing P3D V3 (historically im FSX) but i was wondering if P3D requires tweaking like fsx does? I'm currently in the process of tweaking FSX and have a very informative thread running in the FSX forum that lots of members have been very helpful with :) but Im thinking of getting P3D too

Most tweaks do nothing, or provide advantage only in the single case.

What L-M have done with V3 is remove all primary need for tweaking.

There are exceptions. If your installation meets those requirements then tweaking will be an option.

But still not a necessity. Or even a good idea in most cases.

Just so you understand, P3D just like FSX does require that you adjust your settings for best performance.  I consider that SETUP as opposed to adding entries to the prepar3d.cfg file to enable specific features.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

P3D out of the box ran horribly, and I had to implement 'legacy' tweaks to get it to run properly.

It's going to vary from system to system.

No it really doesn't require any tweaks.  With version 3 I've spent almost all of my time flying around and not tweaking.  This is in stark contrast to the days of FSX where I might have spent more time tweaking than actually flying.

It's going to vary from system to system.

True ^   This statement should be pinned at the top of every page  :smile:

No tweaks for me, some messing with NI and P3D control settings that's it really 

Here's a few tips:

Wherever installed, but especially if we installed to program files, we must add permissions Modify and Write to the Users group on that folder, before installing and using addons. Or we end up choosing Run as Admin unnecessarily.

With Hyperthreading enabled care must be taken to select an appropriate Affinity Mask and make an entry in the cfg JOBSCHEDULER section. With 8 core or more we may want to use an AM to reduce the number of cores available to the sim.

Not much else to do with the .cfg but we can try:

[Display]

TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT=180 (Smooths up texture handling with medium+ autogen.)

To improve AA we can set Transparency Sparse Grid Supersampling with NI. We set the TSSAA to the same multiple as we set MSAA in the sim display settings, we also set "Antialiasing Mode=Override any application setting" for best performance (with an otherwise fresh default NI profile).

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com