Sign in to follow this  
kevinfirth

P3D & 4k

Forgive my stupidity here please, could anyone who runs 4k help clarify for me please?

Does running 4k give you a wider FOV for the same zoom level, or just a much greater resolution but essentially the exact same view? :s

Thanks K (Im not sure I get the FOV stuff yet sorry!)

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

The FOV is the same but as you say the resolution of course is much better.

To me the biggest advantage running 4K is I don't need to use NI SGSS anymore which was killing performance in dense clouds and still I have very acceptable AA.

Agree with Maximus; I'm running v3 on my philips bdm4065uc (40" 4K on an Obutto Revolution cockpit). 

I went from a 1440p monitor to the 4K, and apart from the increased immersion due to the size of my particular screen it rendered SGSS defunct - which as mentioned above gave an excellent jump in fps in heavy cloud situations.

I have a pretty beefy rig (6700K @ 4.7 and GTX 980Ti SLI) and I saw virtually no difference in FPS going from 1440p to 4K; even at 4K resolution P3Dv3 with all the bells and whistles cranked is still CPU limited.

Guys, if I run a 1080p monitor at with no AA and I get say 30fps if I switch to 4K and still use no AA will my FPS drop because of the higher res?

Guys, if I run a 1080p monitor at with no AA and I get say 30fps if I switch to 4K and still use no AA will my FPS drop because of the higher res?

It would depend on your videocard for the most part. Higher resolution requires more videocard power, but since FS is cpu dependant, you may not see that much of a difference. Turn on DSR in your videocard CP (if you have an Nvidia card) and see if there's a difference.

It would depend on your videocard for the most part. Higher resolution requires more videocard power, but since FS is cpu dependant, you may not see that much of a difference. Turn on DSR in your videocard CP (if you have an Nvidia card) and see if there's a difference.

Thanks what excat DSR setting should I use?

Thanks what excat DSR setting should I use?

With your 1080 monitor you need x4 DSR.

gb.

Forgot to mention and I think someone asked about it, when it comes to the performance and what GFX card you need for running 4K I did my first attempt using a 1st gen Titan but that didn't give me the performance I hoped for.

Now with my current 980Ti my FPS in the NGX with all the normal addons such as ASN, the FTX Global products and online on Vatsim only flying in and out of payware airports mostly developed by Aerosoft I normally see 40-50 FPS and in worst case around 30 FPS.