Sign in to follow this  
Morrigan

Ultra Weather XP

Hello,

New weather addon appeared on the x-plane.org store site.

Link to store removed

I assume it's too early to ask for opinions, but is anyone planning to get it? I haven't gotten SkyMAXX as their top layers looks extremely unrealistic to me, whike Ultra's Weather screenshots seem to present what I am looking for. 

Would appreciate opinons of anyone who tried it.

Cheers.

Edited by tonywob
Removed link to purchase/store front
  • Upvote 2

Well, judging by the screenshots and description it's just a couple of replacement textures (clouds and skycolors) and minor shader hacks on top of the default cloud engine. The author (and others) released a lot of them earlier on x-plane.org for free. Nothing like Skymaxx and nothing that get's me excited. 30 bucks also seems very expensive for what it offers.

But who knows, might be working well as a package...

Flo

PS: I agree about the look of some overcast layers in Skymaxx Pro v3, though. This is what is holding be back to go from v2 to v3.

I tried one of their replacement textures ones, and the clouds were all flat. So it looks like something from far away (they changed them to look like towering clouds), but ugly and flat up close. Maybe they improved on it and I am wrong now, but I think even default is better (also judging by the video they posted).

I saw the promo video. I do not like some of the clouds, but I do like the sky and water colors. It's good to have an alternative to SMP.

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

PS: I agree about the look of some overcast layers in Skymaxx Pro v3, though. This is what is holding be back to go from v2 to v3.

Just remember December 23rd is approaching quite fast and after that time your upgrade window closes.  :wink:

Founder of X-Aviation

While I applaud any efforts made in making better skies in XP, I really have to say that weather depiction and performance has been the number one thing above all else that disappoints me about the platform.

For example, I whipped up the current banner / screenshot on the Milviz website in about 30 seconds in FSX, simply loading up the sim and using real world weather via ASN.  It's nothing at all amazing for FSX (I normally don't do the product shots), but it would be extremely amazing to have that same weather in XP.

In fact, if someone were to make that happen in X-Plane, I would throw lots of money at them.

• Upvote 1

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

Just remember December 23rd is approaching quite fast and after that time your upgrade window closes.  :wink:

Hard to forget with all those reminder emails about that great 50% off deal, you trickster!

Flo

Hard to forget with all those reminder emails about that great 50% off deal, you trickster!

Flo

:ph34r:  :BigGrin:

Founder of X-Aviation