Sign in to follow this  
concordeba

Dovetail Games Flight Simulator?

DFS_logo.jpg

I am not sure if this is the correct place to put this topic, but what's the thoughts of all on the upcoming development? Set for release in 2016.   I am hoping we go 64Gb as that's what's needed to get the most of a Simulator.  You just have to look at there new Train Simulator to wonder what sort of output we can expect.

21781940514_47d7ff45c5_o.jpg

Regards,
Robbie
Qualified Private Pilot - Check out my YouTube channel!  

The Grandad V2 - Prepar3D v4.5 HF2 | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS X HERO (WI-FI AC) | Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow Edition | Intel i7 8700K 4.7GhZ  | Corsair H115i Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler  | nVidia GeForce GTX 1080Ti ROG Strix OC GDDR5X | Trident Z RGB 32GB (4x8GB) DDR4 RAM | 2x KIngston  240GB HyperX 3K SSD | 2TB WD  Ext SSD | Windows 10 Build 1903 Corsair RM Series 750X '80 + Gold' 750W Modular PSU | Windows 10 Build 19042

A 64-bit architecture would be one of the minimum requirements/musts for a new simulator.

• Upvote 1

A 64-bit architecture would be one of the minimum requirements/musts for a new simulator.

I wonder why P3D hasn't done this, or is it simply the code is FSX in logic, that being 32-bit architecture and can't be easily changed to 64-bit?

Regards,
Robbie

The Grandad V2 - Prepar3D v4.5 HF2 | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS X HERO (WI-FI AC) | Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow Edition | Intel i7 8700K 4.7GhZ  | Corsair H115i Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler  | nVidia GeForce GTX 1080Ti ROG Strix OC GDDR5X | Trident Z RGB 32GB (4x8GB) DDR4 RAM | 2x KIngston  240GB HyperX 3K SSD | 2TB WD  Ext SSD | Windows 10 Build 1903 Corsair RM Series 750X '80 + Gold' 750W Modular PSU | Windows 10 Build 19042

If you're going by their 'Train Simulator' franchise, then it would be a safe bet to assume only the base (minimal) product will be made available at retail while the rest will be added through 'DLC'. I won't be surprised if they charged for DLC that only brings default/above average content at premium pricing.

Since there has been no information provided on their own product, every guess mentioned in this and other threads could be the winning ticket on what will actually trickle down into the base product.

I wonder why P3D hasn't done this, or is it simply the code is FSX in logic, that being 32-bit architecture and can't be easily changed to 64-bit?

LM will move to a 64 bit platform just as xPlane did - it's only a matter of time but I appreciate that LM is trying to juice the 32bit P3D to the best of their ability before moving over to 64bit.

Krazyk, the rumour mill is in full speculation mode across the board, as you say if they go down the route of DLC and similar territory to Microsoft Flight they won't win the majority of the serious and avid gamers that play flight sim.  I wonder if Microsoft are pushing Dovetail for this?  I am hoping not, and that Microsoft have learnt there lessons with Flight and Dovetail with FSX:SE.  

They are expected to release details next year, presumably for an end of year release.

If you're going by their 'Train Simulator' franchise, then it would be a safe bet to assume only the base (minimal) product will be made available at retail while the rest will be added through 'DLC'. I won't be surprised if they charged for DLC that only brings default/above average content at premium pricing.

Since there has been no information provided on their own product, every guess mentioned in this and other threads could be the winning ticket on what will actually trickle down into the base product.

LM will move to a 64 bit platform just as xPlane did - it's only a matter of time but I appreciate that LM is trying to juice the 32bit P3D to the best of their ability before moving over to 64bit.

I've heard that LM won't move P3D to 64gb anytime soon, unless they totally recreate the 32bit world into 64bit?  The below from Dovetail themselves is promising.

""The next iteration in the Train Simulator series, which is due in 2016 and will be powered by Unreal Engine 4 and Dovetail Games Flight Simulator, built on the foundations of Microsoft’s award-winning Flight technology. "" 

""Dovetail Games Flight Simulator is set for release in 2016. For flight sim enthusiasts and gamers looking for a deeply immersive flight game, it promises to deliver the ultimate pilot’s experience, taking them on a journey from novice to pro pilot.""

See more at: http://www.dovetailgames.com/news/2015/aug/4/dovetail-games-looks-to-the-future-collaborating-with-microsoft#sthash.ttXkBRz1.dpuf

Regards,
Robbie

Poppet..... :LMAO:

As I eat my popcorn....

64bit? Any point if existing add-ons are all 32bit?

As I've said before, my humble thoughts are that DTG has a great stable of games (fishing & trains) that are marketed thru' Steam, possibly the largest gaming distributor out there. So, to monetize any new releases, DTG will, probably target the gaming market, a basic sim type game, with DLC's, instead of us smaller niche market simmers. LM is going great, with regular updates, &, I'm sure that if their corporate clients requirements are for a 64bit platform, it would eventually be released to them.

The poor developers out there..

FSX, FSX:SE DLC's, P3D, X-Plane & now something for DTG? Are we seeing some dilution out there?

& yet there is still a lot of first class stuff, especially freeware coming out for FS9..

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

I've heard that LM won't move P3D to 64gb anytime soon, unless they totally recreate the 32bit world into 64bit?  

I think you mean 64bit and not 64gb ... there is no official timeline of when P3D will release a 64bit product, LM just released V3.0 recently and announced V3.1 release by year end (making it the 8th product version/sub update in 2 years).

If you do a quick search of these forums you'll see the 64bit debate come up time and time again.  I don't believe DTG have provided any detailed information about their "new flight simulator" ... information I have is sometime 2016 so anywhere from 3 weeks away to 55 weeks away.  So just have to wait and see.

Cheers, Rob.

That's what FSX already is.... Only the base product is included in the price.

Mihkel Kiil

I think Dovetail did alright regarding DLCs released for FSX Steam Edition, and it's now releasing more common ones for us flight simmers.

Anyhow, i don't think it will be 64bit. I would expect them to use the Microsoft Flight engine tho which was way better optimized and improved, and hopefully they will also try to improve it more. We know nothing about it as of yet, so it really all comes down to guessing.

It will also be interesting if and how current FSX/P3D addon devs will consider the whole new sim as a market to release new DLCs (in which case there isn't really much to be worried about regarding DTG releasing low quality addons)

Even in Train Sim there are addons created by DTG itself and others redistributed by them but made from other people, level of details in the end is up to them.

Chock 1.1: "The only thing that whines louder than a jet engine is a flight simmer."

I highly doubt they're interested in providing an actual flight simulator.

I think Dovetail's Flight Simulator will go the way of MS Flight... 

Adapting the marketing concept of Flight, if DTG goes that route (and I agree that's very likely to happen), doesn't mean that their program will not be a good simulator. I for one am looking forward to this DTG flight game a lot.

• Upvote 1

Cheers, Bert

AMD Ryzen 5900X, 32 GB RAM, RTX 3080 Ti, Windows 11 Home 64 bit, MSFS

Yes 64-bit platform. If LM release P3D in 64-bit, presumably v4.0 sometime next year, then I'll purchase it.  The problem for me is, it's a substantial graphics upgrade and that's it, it doesn't do anything significant over what my FSX can do on my gaming PC, and I don't mean that anally, because I get many people can't run FSX well; but I have zero issues.

I think you mean 64bit and not 64gb ... there is no official timeline of when P3D will release a 64bit product, LM just released V3.0 recently and announced V3.1 release by year end (making it the 8th product version/sub update in 2 years).

If you do a quick search of these forums you'll see the 64bit debate come up time and time again.  I don't believe DTG have provided any detailed information about their "new flight simulator" ... information I have is sometime 2016 so anywhere from 3 weeks away to 55 weeks away.  So just have to wait and see.

Cheers, Rob.

I get that it comes up time and time again, but surely a modern sim the minimum requirements should be 64-bit.   I know it will work only on Windows 10, and the latest version of Direct X. So many people will have to leave FSX all together to run the new sim.

Adapting the marketing concept of Flight, if DTG goes that route (and I agree that's very likely to happen), doesn't mean that their program will not be a good simulator. I for one am looking forward to this DTG flight game a lot.

I doubt they will go down that route. "The aim is to create a deeply immersive project that will allow both simmers and gamers to enjoy an in-depth flight simulation experience that feels realistic, looks fantastic and really challenges the user." -  presumably they will look to cater for both casual gamers and hardcore simmers.  Can this be done easily?    

I.e A world like Flight but a World like FSX if need be.

Regards,
Robbie

I doubt they will go down that route. "The aim is to create a deeply immersive project that will allow both simmers and gamers to enjoy an in-depth flight simulation experience that feels realistic, looks fantastic and really challenges the user." -  presumably they will look to cater for both casual gamers and hardcore simmers.  Can this be done easily?    

I.e A world like Flight but a World like FSX if need be.

My guess is they'll deliver a great simulator, but as I suspect with the business model of Flight. So we don't get the whole world in the core for example. And it will most probably come with realism sliders, just like FSX, so the casual gamer as well as the serious simmer might like the DTG sim. The future will tell if DTG release an SDK that might open the way for serious addons like those of A2A and PDMG.

Don't you just love speculation? It's been far to long since we had a nice speculative thread about DTG  :Party:

Cheers, Bert

AMD Ryzen 5900X, 32 GB RAM, RTX 3080 Ti, Windows 11 Home 64 bit, MSFS