Sign in to follow this  
cptrobie

Trying to install Win 7 on New Skylake System

Hi all,

Help needed.

I'm trying to install Win7 from DVD on new system build (latest 6700K & ASUS ROG Mobo) without a CDRom drive.

I have a USB 3.0 stick that I made bootable and copied over the disk files but It still fails to install.

Getting a missing drivers dialog during beginning of install.

I also tried by making an iso and putting that on the stick and it too failed stating no bootmgr was found.

Any suggestions on how to proceed are greatly appreciated.

Mike

How did you copy the ISO onto the drive?

Cheers!

Luke

Luke Kolin

I make simFDR, the most advanced flight data recorder for FSX, Prepar3D and X-Plane.

The hardware (MOBO) believe it or not is too modern for Win7 out of the box. Win 7 does not install the necessary USB drivers for that chipset, thus your keyboard and mouse will not function making the Win 7 install impossible because you cannot interface with the installer. 

I tried several workarounds and in the end 7 did not run well on that hardware config. I ended up using a USB stick formatted it to Fat32 and loaded Win 10 on it for free which you can still do too. Win 10 comes with the necessary hardware drivers to make everything work. It seems as if MS did this on purpose to get people to switch to 10...

@ Luke,

The MOBO came with a CD and on it was a utility app that would create an iso and save to disk or thumdrive.

If you look at the thumbdrive with Windows Explorer, does it have just the ISO, or have the files been extracted?

I'm not familiar with creating bootable ISOs under Windows; it's so much easier under linux.

Cheers!

Luke

The ROG motherboards I was looking at on the ASUS site claim Windows 7 support, BTW.

Luke Kolin

I make simFDR, the most advanced flight data recorder for FSX, Prepar3D and X-Plane.

Good luck. The Z170 appears to have 8 USB 2.0 ports - have you tried plugging the keyboard into them? Was the keyboard functional when you got the error?

Cheers!

Luke

Luke Kolin

Luke,

Hummh thats interesting,thanks!

I'll look into it further and let you know.

the 

But to answer your question the mouse & keyboard worked in the bios but only the keyboard( w/ PS2 connector) worked on Win7 screens

Check your motherboard manual to see what the USB 2.0 ports are - ensure your mouse (and keyboard, if you have USB one) are plugged into those. If you had a working keyboard that should be enough to install Win7 and maybe the driver issue is related to another problem.

What was the specific message?

Cheers!

Luke

Luke Kolin

@Angelo,

Thanks but I'm gonna try this site and hopefully this will work!  :hi:

I'm not ready to throw in the towel on Win7.

It really is time to move on from an unsupported, outdated OS like win7.

Don't let tiles and apps scare you. I boot to a desktop that looks and works just like 7 only better.

Cheers

Well I did manage to make SOME progress thanks in part to Luke !

Now I can get to select my language with full use of the keyboard and mouse but sadly immediately following, I get a screen stating that some drivers are missing so alas I'm dead in the water again. :Doh:

Anyone have suggestions on how to get past this hurdle?

. It seems as if MS did this on purpose to get people to switch to 10...

well.. windows 7 was released in 2009, a full 5 or 6 years before the hardware in question even existed, so they can hardly be blamed for not using a time machine to get those drivers from the future and include them on DVDs that were manufactured several years ago. windows 95/98 probably would have challenges with installing as well. at some point in the evolution of the hardware there are enough changes to break backwards compatibility with almost any technical system if it's old enough.

if the manufacturers have released compatible win7 drivers it's a matter of collecting them all together and copied in the right places which is surely a huge hassle, good luck to cptrobie!!! i would just go with win10 if i was doing a new build, i have low tolerance for headaches :)

cheers

-andy crosby

OK

So after repeated fails I reluctantly installed Win 10 which installed effortlessly but NOW I have to get rid of all the apps and settings I'm not interrested in.

This PC is going to be dedicated to P3D so I'm trying to get rid of all the bloat ware thats not needed.

I realize this is off the original thread topic but if any of you have suggestions or site to refer to please forward as I'd like to see whats possible.

TIA,

Michael