Sign in to follow this  
tupolev-154

Controlling plane after touchdown PMDG 777-200

Hello

I wonder if someone can give me an explanation for the following situation:

If I choose "real weather" everything goes fine except the contolling of the plane after touchdown.

Example: Landing on RW 16R, wind 200/12. After touchdown the plane moves to the right to where the wind comes from.

This doesn't make any sense to me - I would expect a movement to the left. Anyway it is difficult to keep the plane on the RW.

Did I ignore some facts??

Thanks for your information!

Peter

LSZH

Peter Beringer

(GIGABYTE UD3H i7 4790K 4.00GHz - 16GB RAM - GTX 970 - Win7 64 bit - 1 TB SSD P3D V3

- 500GB SSD FSX - PMDG MD-11/FSX; 777-200 + 737/Prepar3d V3)

Planes tend crab and face the wind while flying, they may move away from the centerline on touchdown. keep the centerline with the rudder and add some ailerons to the side of the wind.

Antoine Bidartarra

Landing on RW 16R, wind 200/12. After touchdown the plane moves to the right to where the wind comes from.

This doesn't make any sense to me - I would expect a movement to the left. Anyway it is difficult to keep the plane on the RW.

Did I ignore some facts??

Ditto Antoine.  You are ignoring some facts.  Fact is the vertical stabilizer is at the rear, more importantly it is behind the center and just like a wind vane the tail wants to be downwind which makes the nose turn upwind. The aircraft is like a gull on the beach always preferring to face the wind.

Proper crosswind techniques in a light plane are to turn the yoke into the wind and if wind is from the rear apply nose down elevator to prevent lifting the tail. Not so much in a big heavy swept wing jet, just keep the nose wheel in the center of the pavement.

Dan Downs KCRP

To add to the above postS:

It will naturally weathervane, especially in the sim because of the poor ground contact model. Add rudder to counteract the force.

Kyle Rodgers

Thank you for all this information.

So I have counteract with the yoke which means using the power of the ailerons. At the same time I move the elevator down.

If I'm lucky the plane doesn't tip over....

I'm used to FSX and started with Prepar shortly. I didn't experience the behavior of FSX PMDG (MD-11) in that way. But maybe

Prepar3d is closer to reality...

Thanks a lot once more!

Peter

Peter Beringer

(GIGABYTE UD3H i7 4790K 4.00GHz - 16GB RAM - GTX 970 - Win7 64 bit - 1 TB SSD P3D V3

- 500GB SSD FSX - PMDG MD-11/FSX; 777-200 + 737/Prepar3d V3)

So I have counteract with the yoke which means using the power of the ailerons. At the same time I move the elevator down.

If I'm lucky the plane doesn't tip over....

Good luck with that, please keep the aircraft in the center with steering, which for most of us is via rudder.  Full aileron is not going to change your direction of travel one tiny bit. 

Dan Downs KCRP

Full aileron is not going to change your direction of travel one tiny bit. 

Could be using that auto-rudder function (which I think transfers steering to the roll axis of hardware), but otherwise, I fully agree.

Kyle Rodgers