Sign in to follow this  
W2DR

KSAN and Kai-San?

Since starting flightsim I have often wondered about the relevance in the name?The Kai-San approach manouvre that all C-130 pilots have to perfect in order for conversion proficiency for using this aircraft has been legendry since the Vietnam war.Is there any connection that any of you know of in the names?Dave T. .........On the lovely warm Devon Riviera and active 'FlightSim User's Group' member at http://www.flightsimgrpuk.free-online.co.uk/

Dave Taylor gb.png

>Since starting flightsim I have often wondered about the>relevance in the name?>>The Kai-San approach manouvre that all C-130 pilots have to>perfect in order for conversion proficiency for using this>aircraft has been legendry since the Vietnam war.>Is there any connection that any of you know of in the names?>>>>Dave T. .........On the lovely warm Devon Riviera and active>'FlightSim User's Group' member at>http://www.flightsimgrpuk.free-online.co.uk/No, K is the prefix for all (or atleast most) mainland US Airport codes. SAN just indicates San Diego.

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

Guest al white

hi the"ka sahn" monouver comes from as you say the vietnam war were the c130 had to land at the marine fire base at Ka sahn near the DMZ.thay had to make a very steep dive to the air strp to aviod AA and sam fire. the base was under siege for over a year and totally cut off so that the only way to resup was by air hope this helps alan

I was a young Marine First Lieutenant stationed in Viet Nam with a special mission to perform. My unit, at the Khe Sahn combat base, had not received any mail for weeks and my Commanding Officer was going to correct that. It was during the peek of combat activity and I loaded up two seabags of mail and set off for one of the adventures of my life. I boarded a C-123 at Phu Bi (just outside of Hue)and after a 40 minute flight saw Khe Sahn come into view through the side window of the passanger cabin.Our approach was to the west and the Loadmaster briefed us on what was going to happen. He said the plane would touchdown and the ramp would lower on the roll out. All passangers were to run out the back, as the plane slowed down, and then run to the bunker trenches on the side of the airstrip. The C-123 would then turn around (when able) and takeoff to the East. Needless to say, I didn't want to be on the runway when that happened.I would guess we turned Final Approach around 4000 above ground level. Next, the noise was lowered to an unbelivable descent (noise down pitch). From my view in the back I could look through the pilot's windows, at the front of the cockpit, and see the ground (runway) coming up to met us. We were that steep a noise down attitude!The plane touched down and on the rollout the ramp was lowered. When the Loadmaster said it was OK, we started to run out the back of the plane. When my turn came (with the two full seabags of mail) I started off in a dash. As soon as I hit the runway I lost my balance (along with every other Marine) and fell, flat first, on the runway. The fear of incoming motars and the C-123 turning around was enough to get me up fast and with the two seabags of mail head for the bunkers. I remember running as fast as I could and dived into the bunker's trench. The next thing I heard was the C-123 taking off and when I looked up I saw another Marine who was just looking at me with a smile before returning to his duty rifle position.The mail was delivered and I flew out (helo) the next day. I made several trips into the KCB but the first was the one I will always remember. Regards,EdPS: When I was released from duty, I set out for my life's goal. Now looking back, with over ten thousand hours in flying everything from a Cessna 150 to Gulfstream equipment I never had to do a real approach like that one that I remember to this day, in that place so far, far away!Hope I didn't bore you.

Ed:You sure didn't bore me! Thanks for the info.Dave: Good post which brought interesting and informative replies.Thanks to all!RTH

Thanks for a far from boring story. It was explained so good, I was living it with you.Now any more accounts would be so appreciated, please?Dave T. .........On the lovely warm Devon Riviera and active 'FlightSim User's Group' member at http://www.flightsimgrpuk.free-online.co.uk/

Dave Taylor gb.png

Great post Ed. Thanks for the memories. - Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.