Sign in to follow this  
bobterri

NewComputer +FSX-SE + Windows10 + stutters

I have run the "verify cache" option in the Steam menu, but I did not rename exe.xml and/or dml.xml.

I wouldn't waste any time like that. I would set stock scenery stock plane no dll.xml no exe.xml and get a baseline.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

I wouldn't waste any time like that. I would set stock scenery stock plane no dll.xml no exe.xml and get a baseline.

What I mean is, about two weeks ago I ran the the "verify cache" option in the Steam menu, but, at that time, I did not rename exe.xml and/or dml.xml.  So, are you saying that I should forget verifying the cache again, but rename dll.xml and exe.xml and then taxi at a stock airport with a stock plane?

Bob Bressert

What I mean is, about two weeks ago I ran the the "verify cache" option in the Steam menu, but, at that time, I did not rename exe.xml and/or dml.xml.  So, are you saying that I should forget verifying the cache again, but rename dll.xml and exe.xml and then taxi at a stock airport with a stock plane?

With any kind of persistent problem like yours, I would have gone straight for the jugular, and pared back the sim to stock settings to get a baseline. We know the software works in stock trim.

With any kind of persistent problem like yours, I would have gone straight for the jugular, and pared back the sim to stock settings to get a baseline. We know the software works in stock trim.

This is all so new to me.  I have never had a problem like this ("persistent" as you put it.).  I have been simming, first with FSX boxed and now with FSX-SE and I guess I've been fortunate.  I've had problems, but nothing like this.  Buying this new computer, I thought I was going to be in Sim heaven, instead I've been in Sim hell.  So, I'm struggling a little bit with terminology.  It's not your fault, it's just that I've never had to get a baseline, etc.

So, if you could just bare with me, when you say "stock settings," what exactly are you talking about?  All sliders to the left?  I just need a little defining of your terms.  Again, I want to say "thank you" for your help.  It is greatly appreciated.

Steve,

I'm sorry!  You're probably referring to your post #52. Right? 

Bob Bressert

Yes, and after that we would try setting most scenery defaults too, by renaming scenery.cfg. All those things can be put back to work the same again if we are careful. I've get several copies of the sim on one drive for referring to setups, addons, and testing, and referring to stock files and settings.

I run Windows 10 and still have FSX Retail installed I use P3D now tho and mine runs fine unlimited. Specs in sig, HT off, unlimited set in FSX no affinity mask. Just Highmemfix, Bufferpools=0, and WideView=True. Sure the fps bounce from like 26-32 but its not noticeable and is smooth. 1/2 refresh rate is set in inspector though so that way the fps hover around 30. 

I've quickly tested the frame lock settings yesterday. Framerate variance seemed to be minimal at 31 FPS. So I guess the "rounding bug" also applies to windowed mode.

Bjoern,

Are you talking about:

[GRAPHICS]

ForceFullScreenVSync=1

No. This one:

[GRAPHICS]

ForceWindowedVsync=1

7950X3D + 6900 XT + 64 GB + Linux | 4800H + RTX2060 + 32 GB + Linux
My add-ons from my FS9/FSX days

Hey Bob (?),

I am perplexed that you're running such a powerful, modern PC/GC and still using 1990's era CRT monitor.  You do realize that LCDs are super cheap these days, right?  Why don't you pick up a nice 27"+ model and not only will you have a much better simming experience but this may also put an end to your stutter issues once and for all.

BTW, you do have the setting for off for the wide screen in the CFG, right? 

You will figure this out one way or another so hang in there.

Ilya

Ilya Eydis, PPL, ASEL

Have you tried changing this setting

Nvidia Control Panel>Manage 3D Settings>Global Settings>Power Management Mode> Change from Adaptive to Prefer Maximum Performance

I had massive stuttering in the aircraft selection window because of this setting. I wonder if it could affect the sim as well.

I would also use HWMonitor or something to verify your CPU is running at full clock speed when running FSX.

Ieydis,

Here's the thing!  I understand I need to update to a newer monitor and will within a month or so.  Finances do not allow me to do so at the moment.  BUT, FSX-SE ran perfectly fine on Windows 7 on my old computer before it died.  I don't think the monitor is the issue.

kirk_johnson,

No, I did not change anything in Nvidia Control Panel.  

All,

I nuked FSX-SE last night...removed it and everything associated with it (planes, sceneries, etc.).

Now I am deliberating between re-installing FSX-SE and going through the headache of setting everything up again with no assurance it will improve or making the leap to P3D v3.  

I was going to go through the process that SteveW suggested but with my RW commitments I just don't have the time, and with no guarantees I'd ever find what was wrong...well...it just wasn't worth it.

If I don't report back it's because I have chosen P3D.  If I reinstall FSX-SE I will report back to let you know the outcome.  

Lastly, thank you, thank you to all who tried to help.

Bob Bressert

Also (and I apologize if this is a repeat suggestion) have you tweaked your Win10 for gaming/performance?  It's quite possible the issue you're having is not something esoteric but probably due to some conflicting app.  First thing after I upgraded to 10, I went through the suggestions in the below guides:

http://www.back2gaming.com/guides/how-to-tweak-windows-10-for-gaming/

Ilya  

Ilya Eydis, PPL, ASEL