Sign in to follow this  
Noel

Ideas on what might have gone wrong?

I decided to start fresh one last time for P3D version 3 to wiped and reinstalled Win 7 SP1 and all associated hardware drivers.  I never added a single Windows update for the last 2.7y.

After running fresh virgin P3D 3.1 for about 25 minutes w/ no problems, I added FTX Global, and no problems.  I did try to install FSUPIC registered version for 3.1 but the Modules drop down is missing so I have to contact Pete Dowson and see what went wrong there as it clearly created the Modules folder and everything's there including simconnect.  Apparentlly this has happened to others I read something to do w/ DLL.XML file corruption.  Looks OK when I open to edit but I don't know what happened there.  I did another 15 min of flying after all of this last night and no problems so I will just not connect the trim wheel.

Did another 30 minutes booting to a different drive of FarCry 4 last night and all's well, so I conclude nothing is wrong w/ main board, PSU, graphics, CPU, etc.  Could be something is still amiss w/ the SSD, but it isn't manifesting now w/ 40min or so of use w/ fresh everything for P3D 3.1.  I ran chkdsk on it and it reports no errors so the entire BS w/ the trim wheel conflict in P3D 3.1 created the obvious hardware/driver problem Ed mentioned.  So far 3.1 seems hugely underwhelming.  Maybe I will change my mind if there is huge improvement w/ VAS management because truly there is nothing else in it that would be worth more to me than using the trim wheel.  Overall performance is clearly no better, nor is the smoothness aspect, though that may be influenced by the fact I have a more recent nV driver than what I had been using for a long time w/ the original 2.3 install.

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

Uh... the VAS management is vastly improved with v3. Why would you think otherwise?

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

Uh... the VAS management is vastly improved with v3. Why would you think otherwise?

It's OK Ed don't overreact.  All I said was, 'if there is huge improvement w/ VAS management', and 'huge improvement' is rather subjective.  I asked for some kind of quantitative estimate and got some replies on that including '400-800mb more' and 'we're happy' but beyond that nothing that made it crystal clear the upgrade was worth the $$.   I learned to live happily w/ 2.3's VAS limitations, and the switch to 3.1 brings:

• loss of the trim wheel I enjoyed all the time
  • loss of the Super MD80 Pro which I enjoyed frequently
  • Not sure about QW757

I have a hard time not conforming to the EULA so ended up buying the Pro license for 3.1 though I know some just ignore the EULA and I appreciate why, but for me it's something I'm not comfortable with.  So again, $199 for improved VAS management and loss of a few functions is somewhat difficult to justify.

On a positive note, the heinous hardware/driver conflict from the trim wheel apparently was killing my initial 3.1 performance as one would expect, so now I am getting the expected comparable performance I was seeing in 2.3, so that's good.  It should, depending on exactly what 'vastly improved' translates to, translate to being able to fly into and out of FTX regions better.  I'm assuming OOM's are always going to be there w/ 32 bit P3D, so while 3.1 has raised the ceiling vastly whatever that really means, it's presumably still there.  I have plenty of time to get a refund so we'll see.

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

Not true Rich. On *some* systems there have been various instances of file corruption causing all sorts of issues. So far no rhyme nor reason as to which systems have issues or even why - but I'd still say use with caution.

Vic

Unless they've made a radical change recently. the sticks must be checked individually - the modern error correcting feature can hide some errors if all memory is checked at once.

Vic

Vic et al, sounds like there is debate on EMT so what I do not want to do is go thru this again--starting fresh w/ new installs of OS and everything else.  I did wipe OS & reinstall piece by piece everything, then v3.1, then one add-on at a time and all is well.  What's missing though is high resolution mesh which I used FSGenesis V2 stuff from years ago on the first install which went awry at least mostly if not completely from the hardware/drive conflict w/ the Saitek trim wheel which of course is no longer connected nor was the driver ever installed on this squeaky clean reinstall of everything.

So what options do I have to get the best quality mesh out there w/ a P3D v3 installer?   Before we go there though, two other questions if you will:

1. ​What impact does high res mesh truly have on VAS & general 'performance' [frame rate/freedom from stutters]
  2. Do FTX regional sceneries already employ the highest resolution mesh?  Seems may not to be the case w/ the FTX NCA I have installed.

Noel

Vic et al, sounds like there is debate on EMT 

You can use this freeware mesh here 

http://www.avsim.com/topic/467933-freemesh-x-global-10-release-announcement/

=============================================

I dont see any impact from mesh being installed

=============================================

FTX quote

Please make sure your mesh is set to 5m

Rich Sennett

So what options do I have to get the best quality mesh out there w/ a P3D v3 installer?

I think you can use FSG mesh.  Just install it to a temporary folder, then copy it over to your P3D folder.  To uninstall, search for files with FSG in them.

I think you can use FSG mesh.  Just install it to a temporary folder, then copy it over to your P3D folder.  To uninstall, search for files with FSG in them.

You can use it - migration tool is needed to run the exe which I have never had a problem with by the way for all my mesh I use FSGenesis except for USA I have killer mesh for that (payware)

Rich Sennett

You can use it - migration tool is needed to run the exe which I have never had a problem with by the way for all my mesh I use FSGenesis except for USA I have killer mesh for that (payware)

Rich which is 'killer mesh' and is it better than FSG V2 for US?  Does it have a P3D V3 installer yet?  Also if you know, is ORBX saying 'not >5m', or 'exactly 5m'?  I think I have mine to the smallest possible on the slider.

Noel

Rich which is 'killer mesh' and is it better than FSG V2 for US?  Does it have a P3D V3 installer yet?  Also if you know, is ORBX saying 'not >5m', or 'exactly 5m'?  I think I have mine to the smallest possible on the slider.

Mesh is here - I did a comparison way back and it was better than FSGenesis but for some reason they are going to make it free but not available for free at the moment so not sure what thats all about

http://secure.simmarket.com/ofx-simulation-ofx-usa-mega-mesh-fsx.phtml

Free version coming

http://www.ofxsimulation.com/#!freeware-products/snh7f

Cant remember if i used tool but you could just install it into dummy folder and move it into your scenery folder and activate it in P3D

Set it to exactly 5mm - doesnt matter if you turn it up in P3D to the highest resolution sim will only use the highest resolution you have loaded anyway so no harm done so if you set it extreme it will be used anything lower than 5mm you are not using it to its capability so you should be all set

Rich Sennett

By the way you can install FSGenesis into a dummy folder also - you can after extracting the exe save the extracted files for future use so you dont have to use an installer - just save them to another drive

Rich Sennett

Very good thank you for that Rich.

Noel

Very good thank you for that Rich.

Your welcome my friend  :wink:

Rich Sennett

It's OK Ed don't overreact.  All I said was, 'if there is huge improvement w/ VAS management', and 'huge improvement' is rather subjective.  I asked for some kind of quantitative estimate and got some replies on that including '400-800mb more' and 'we're happy' but beyond that nothing that made it crystal clear the upgrade was worth the $$.   I learned to live happily w/ 2.3's VAS limitations, and the switch to 3.1 brings:

• loss of the trim wheel I enjoyed all the time
  • loss of the Super MD80 Pro which I enjoyed frequently
  • Not sure about QW757
I have a hard time not conforming to the EULA so ended up buying the Pro license for 3.1 though I know some just ignore the EULA and I appreciate why, but for me it's something I'm not comfortable with.  So again, $199 for improved VAS management and loss of a few functions is somewhat difficult to justify.

On a positive note, the heinous hardware/driver conflict from the trim wheel apparently was killing my initial 3.1 performance as one would expect, so now I am getting the expected comparable performance I was seeing in 2.3, so that's good.  It should, depending on exactly what 'vastly improved' translates to, translate to being able to fly into and out of FTX regions better.  I'm assuming OOM's are always going to be there w/ 32 bit P3D, so while 3.1 has raised the ceiling vastly whatever that really means, it's presumably still there.  I have plenty of time to get a refund so we'll see.

Regarding your trim wheel, do you have the Saitek driver installed? If so, try uninstalling the driver. The trim wheel will still work.

Regarding your trim wheel, do you have the Saitek driver installed? If so, try uninstalling the driver. The trim wheel will still work.

Thanks Graham, I disconnected the trim wheel and ended up doing a complete wipe and reinstall of OS and everything and I'm loath to take even the slightest chance!  I'll think about it  :wink:

Noel

Thanks Graham, I disconnected the trim wheel and ended up doing a complete wipe and reinstall of OS and everything and I'm loath to take even the slightest chance!  I'll think about it  :wink:

No problem. Your results may vary, but I couldn't get the wheel to work with the driver installed. If you haven't reinstalled the driver:

-try plugging in the trim wheel

-spin it until you get the disconnect/reconnect sound in Windows

-type joy.cpl into the run box

-double click on the trim wheel and test it

Perhaps I've misread your reply. If so, please ignore this post.

Best of luck.