Sign in to follow this  
Candide

FSX file 0\FSX\FSX.EXE

March 16, 2016

Hello everybody

When I want to close FSX, my AVG protection software indicates it has found  in c: (which is the disk of my Windows 7 64 installation but not the one on which FSX is installed) a file named 0\FSX\FSX.EXE which it considers as a malware and, actually, FXS does not completely stop until AVG has eliminated this file.

I have tried to locate this file in C; but could not.

Does anybody knows what it is ?

Thanks a lot

Candide

You should never run any anti-virus program when running FSX or installing FSX.  AVG is probably the worse anti-virus program as it finds the most false-positives.  Follow the many FSX installation guides or you will only have many, many problems.  Go into your AVG program and exempt the FSX folder from anti-virus scanning.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Thank you Jim for your reply.

Actually FSX is already exempted from AVG as was recommended for the installation but, as indicated in my post, the file which AVG finds is in C:, i. e. on a separate disk from the one on which FSX is installed.

Amazingly when I ask AVG to disregard the file 0\FSX\FSX.EXE which it has found, a window opens indicating it cannot exempt this file. This is why I had tried to locate it myself in C: but I could not find it.

This is annoying since unless I have asked AVG to eliminate such file which it qualifies as a malware, I cannot close FSX unless I close it by hand in the task maneger.

All that is the reason why i wrote my post in the first place.

Obviously, I would prefer not to reinstall FSX on account of the numerous add-ons I have.

Best regards,

Candide

Amazingly when I ask AVG to disregard the file 0\FSX\FSX.EXE which it has found, a window opens indicating it cannot exempt this file. This is why I had tried to locate it myself in C: but I could not find it.

According to Google, the file does not exist.  Turn off AVG and go fly.

Best regards,

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

And try AVAST Free instead. It performs well in comparative tests and has never caused me any problems. In fact I've never found it necessary to disable it when installing or running any programs.

AVG is probably the worse anti-virus program as it finds the most false-positives.

You could not have said a truer thing, Jim.

Use Avira, it's free and recently, as was posted here, topped even Avast. Avast is good but advert-laden, and the free version has no opt-out.

March 22, 2016

Hello Jim,

Sorry to get back on the subject but it appears that despite what google says the file 0\FSX\FSX.EXE does exist in c:

Undeed, for a test, i deactivated AVG and used the Windows 7 protection instead. And a window appeared from Windows, indicating that there was a potentially dangerous file in c: named ...0\FSX\FSX.EXE !!!

It seems therefore that it is not an invention by AVG or both AVG and Windows would see phantoms !

I agree that Google does not see it and that I am unable to locate it in C: when FSX is running.

Possibly this may be one of those temporary hidden files which FSX builds as a link between the disk where FSX is installed and the disk where c: (the OS) is installed ?

This remains therefore a mystery to me.

Regards,

Candide

Regards

This remains therefore a mystery to me.

And so it does for me too.  I wouldn't worry about it since it evidently is temporary and no longer exists.

Best regards,

Submit News to AVSIM