Sign in to follow this  
pbenoit

MD Max Pro

>Anyone have this? What are your thoughts?>>-=MAB=-My opinion is, don't bother purchasing this one. It's not a complete package. The FMS/FMC module is not available until you rack up enough points as a knowledgeable 1st Officer or Captain (game approach). Not a problem for me since I have no problem passing the test. However, I am concerned that this company may not be in existence when I finally have time to delve into this product. I am too busy to devote a large amount of time to it right now. I purchased it when it was first released as I fell in love with the in-depth level of detail. It's really a great product. The FDE and modeling leaves a lot to be desired though.I don't agree with the approach this company takes in hiding portions of a flight sim add-on. They are presenting this product like a game where you rack up enough points to go to the next level. I think most folks in this forum would agree that flight sims are not a game to us. I'm not sure what it is but it certainly is not a game to me. Some may disagree.As Captain or First Officer it should be my decision what parts of the complete aircraft to study or explore. Not the decision of an add-on game manufacturer.I'm not sure I'll make good use of this product. Any precious time I have to spend will probably go to products from PMDG or Level-D. These packages are very detailed and require a large amount of knowledge to use properly. They don't insult me by hiding portions that they think I shouldn't have until I pass a test.In the case of MD Max Pro, why didn't they make customers pass a test before allowing them to purchase the product? Maybe most of us should not be allowed to even sit in the left or right seat.Just my two cents.Best regards,

Ken B. Jackson - KSAT

Private Pilot - SEL

San Antonio, Texas

banner_226331174cd5523e135c3b75b66d7e7b.jpg

Ken,Your comments are based on outdated informations. MdMax guys were just *planning* to make the VNAV feature ( and NOT the whole FMC, just the VNAV functionality ) to higher ranked pilots only. There was a huge discussion in their forum, most people didn't like the idea, so that feature has been reconsidered. VNAV will be available from start, regardless of the ranking. No parts of the product will be hidden, this has been officially confirmed on the MdMax forum.You maybe confused with the fact they also choose their BETA TESTERS from people with high piloting ranks. I hope you at least concede a developer the right to choose its testers! But when the FMC will be released, everyone will be able to use all features from day 1.About the product not being "complete": the real MD80 doesn't come with an FMC either it's always been an option, and is still 100% flyable without it, because it has been *designed* to operate without an FMC. There are other recently released addons, think latest Dreamfleet release, that comes with or without Reality XP weather radar, a two different prices, just like the real airplane doesn't come with a weather radar and you have to pay extra to get it.You may be right about the fact they announced the FMC months ago and is still not ready. Fair enough, they *are* late. But they are late because they care about product quality. The beta testing is going on for months already, like any serious developer should do. They are not trying to sell you a beta, like a very well known developer is doing right now ( sorry, not beta, it's called "technical release"... ).About the company not existing anymore before releasing it ? Well, they have been around for years, I know the guys when FS was still at version 4.0!! MdMax developement started as soon they released the FS2000 update for the old MadDog 98, if they were able to work on MdMax for 5 years, I doubt a month or two more of delay for the FMC release will change much.

No offense buddy, but it sounds like a scam to me....I cannot use something I paid for? Hmmm.... Gonna stay away from this one too.regards,Macs.

Thanks for the information Virtuali. If what you say is true then all apologies to the company and anyone I misled. Any idea when they plan to release the FMC? Still, why do we have to qualify to use VNAV? I could have sworn that customers who purchased the MD80 would receive the FMC as a free update. I may also be wrong on this point too. Now I'm hearing we have to pay for it. What's the company line here?Regards,

Ken B. Jackson - KSAT

Private Pilot - SEL

San Antonio, Texas

Maybe you didn't ready carefully my post, so I'll repeat it:The idea of locking some features ( not "some", just one: VNAV ) of the FMC before reaching a certain ranking has only been taken into consideration, but right now is NO MORE. The actual release will have all the features unlocked to anyone from first day.Your comparison to a scam it's really out of place. Making features not available up to a certain ranking can maybe defined as "gamish" or "rpg-esque" ( I repeat again: it has been abandoned already ) but it's certainly not uncommon. I'd say it's the rule rather than the exception for 99% of the games out there.Can I play level 4 of Splinter Cell 3 before ending level 3 ? Certainly not, even if I payed for it.Can I install the more advanced Sonars in Silent Hunter 3 ( great game ) in the first 1939 mission ? No, even if I payed for it.So the argument "it's a scam because I cannot use something I paid for" simply doesn't make any sense. You may not like the sort of gaming flavour it gives to FS9, but it certainly legit and not unheard of.And, I repeat again before someone else will misunderstand again: that idea has been abandoned. The release will be totally unlocked.NO, I'm not related to MdMax, I just happen to know them very well and I hate to see misinformation spreading around.

>Any idea when they plan to release the FMC? I don't know, but it should be very soon, I know testers that has it for several months already, fully working.>Still, why do we have to qualify to use VNAV? ??? Maybe I wasn't clear enough: the locked VNAV was the only feature locked, in the INITIAL PLAN. There were some discussions on the MdMax forum, but at the end they decided to throw away entirely the concept. The final release will be totally unlocked with all the features available from day 1, regardless of any ranking.>I could have sworn that customers who purchased the MD80 would>receive the FMC as a free update. I may also be wrong on this>point too. Now I'm hearing we have to pay for it. What's the>company line here?Maybe it would be better asking on their forum for a more official answer but, from the front page of the MdMax website, that has always been the same since the product came out, they write:"MDMax is offered in a modular form in order to allow users to purchase only the components that interest them. The cockpit represents the essential component. The FMS module is offered separately following a precise training method"and below there's the price list:Professional cockpit for FS2004 - 38.99FMS module - 14.99it looks quite clear to me the FMC is sold as a separate product.However, it can very well be the prices and the options will still change before release.

I get your point Virtuali. I am in the process of re-installing this product in hope of receiving the update very soon.Any idea if they will update the rather flimsy model? I remember it being a little buggy as well as not very detailed.Thanks for updating us on the correct information from this company. I wish they would communicate things more.Are you rated online? How difficult was it to get rated?Thanks,

Ken B. Jackson - KSAT

Private Pilot - SEL

San Antonio, Texas

Thanks for the great feed back....Im still on the fence though.I have PMDG's 737 (all models) and Level-D's 767. Both great products. I can fly both quite well, not to brag or anything. Would you say this MD Max product it overall better in terms of completness, complexity, acuracy, etc. Thanks again.-=MAB=-

Mike Brown

Hi,I have it and it's my first add-on I really regret to have bought.In january it was rushed to release when they found out about the LAGO MD80 release.They promised that within a month(!) the extra FMC would be released and 2 months after all kinds of aircraft repaints.We are now more than 8 months further and still no FMC. I really felt ripped off with fake promises.Don't get me wrong: I don't mind that things take longer than expected, but saying that an FMC will be released within a month and after 8 months still no delivery is something else. They knew this in advance and gave us fake info.Also the first release was bug ridden and after a patch it's now version 0.95 I think. The panel graphics are substandard like FS98, however they do inform you about that on the websiteIt's a pitty because I really like the MD 80 and in the FS98 period I bought the MD80 from the same developer. In that time by far the best panel available. Now I have completely lost my confidence in them and won't buy ever again.My 2cents, uhhh 38,99 euri

System: P3D V4 - 80386 DX2 - 4MB RAM - 3dfx Voodoo5 - Windows 3.11

>In january it was rushed to release when they found out about>the LAGO MD80 release.Have you tried the initial Lago release ? Talk about being rushed...>They promised that within a month(!) the extra FMC would be>released and 2 months after all kinds of aircraft repaints.The FMC was ready even *before* the release of the panel. But it didn't had the database ready because, to make of the same kind of quality of the rest of the panel, they choose to have a different format than other addons, because the existing ones weren't enough flexible to allow for all the features. If it were released in March as promised, it would have been empty without any data.>but saying that an FMC will be released within a month and>after 8 months still no delivery is something else. They knew>this in advance and gave us fake info.The information they had initially were given in good faith.They *did* plan to release it early, but all the beta testers suggested to do otherwise, and spending time both testing AND creating the database, expecially Sid and Stars that need to be carefully checked one by one. They simply changed their mind. I agree on one thing: the communication with the users should have been better.>Also the first release was bug ridden and after a patch it's>now version 0.95 I think. But you fail to mention the patch was released *very* quickly, and now it's really usable. More than others that already had 3-4 patches. >The panel graphics are substandard like FS98, however they do>inform you about that on the websiteThe graphics are more than adequate, don't look anything like FS98, and are very sharp and readable, if used at the 1600x1200 resolution as suggested. There are still happy users with 747-PS1 at 640x480, because there still isn't a better 747 simulation around.And, you should at least concede the frame rate impact, regardless of the panel complexity, it's basically nil.>It's a pitty because I really like the MD 80 and in the FS98>period I bought the MD80 from the same developer. >In that time by far the best panel available. It still is. There's isn't a better MD80 panel on the market, and it still has features nobody else has, like progressive CoG shifting during flight, load and weight and passengers boarding without using an external program, progressive dimming of panel lights for *all* the lights available, ice conditions effecting flight model *during* flight, reduced braking action due to temperature and brake stress, hot starts perfectly simulated, venting of hot engines in case of hotstart with different speed of temperature drop depending which side of the wind the airplane is facing, and a lot more. And, don't forget an user manual worth alone the product price, with very clear diagrams all redone by hand for readability, instead of just copy/pasting FS screenshots like everybody else does to save time.

I'd say it's different. It's not a complete aircraft package, so you will not find nice external 3d models, repaints, or even a virtual cockpit.It does only one thing, but it does it very well: systems, procedures, autopilot, simulation, everything related to the panel operations is simply one of the best around. So, if you are interested in a complete aircraft experience similar to what PMDG ( for example ) is offering, is not the right product, but if you want realism and accuracy in MD80 operations, it's better than anything else.

Whether the information that the FMC would be available within a month when it's still not available after eight months was given in good faith or not is irrelevent. Customers who relied on it were deceived.

Gerry Howard

Guest mikealpha

Looks like an interesting product, but I skipped it due to their customer unfriendly activation procedure.1.You are dependent from their working hours to get your MDMax activated, there are numerous complaints about that in their forum. 2.You have only one activation "shot", means if you change your hardware, you have to wait again for re-activation.3.You get one license for one computer, no chance to install it on a second Laptop computer, not even for the high price of the product. I understand, copy protection is necessary, but something where the customer is dependent from just the "goodwill" of the developer is too much.If they don't trust me, why shall I trust them ?Mike