Sign in to follow this  
Joakim Richardson

Unpack 777 Base Pack WS.Reputation.1

When i unpack the base back (777-200LR) Symantec endpoint remove the PMDG 777-200LRF Base Package P3D.exe file and say it have WS.Reputation.1.

No other file from PMDG have this problem and im sure it is not a virus, but still it is a problem that should be fixed or?

i did a search for WS.Reputation.1 and did not find any info so i did a port abate it!

Regards

Joakim Richardson

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

No other file from PMDG have this problem and im sure it is not a virus, but still it is a problem that should be fixed or?

virus definitions change so much and there are so many false positives from so many different scanner products that it's really not something worth chasing. Temporarily disable Symantec. Install. Enable Symantec, being sure to exclude the sim directory from active scanning.

When i unpack the base back (777-200LR) Symantec endpoint remove the PMDG 777-200LRF Base Package P3D.exe file and say it have WS.Reputation.1.

This was one reason I got rid of anything Norton/Symantec on my machines.  The lookup for that virus name is that there are not enough copies of the file to establish a safe recommendation, which is BS because i reported via their reporting channels this problem two years ago.  i also repeatedly tried to set the exe file safe in the Norton settings but it continued to ignore my settings and put stuff in quarantine without asking or reporting it to me. A real bother that I solved by removing Norton. Sure, I tried to establish a dialog with their support but they don't seem to offer support.

• Upvote 1

This was one reason I got rid of anything Norton/Symantec on my machines.  The lookup for that virus name is that there are not enough copies of the file to establish a safe recommendation, which is BS because i reported via their reporting channels this problem two years ago.  i also repeatedly tried to set the exe file safe in the Norton settings but it continued to ignore my settings and put stuff in quarantine without asking or reporting it to me. A real bother that I solved by removing Norton. Sure, I tried to establish a dialog with their support but they don't seem to offer support.

The jury is still out on virus scanner's effectiveness and whether they are truly necessary.  I dumped paid and even free 3rd party anitvirus scanners because a) it seemed like a moneygrab and b)free versions were laden with too many ad-laden threats that would come up if you hadn't scanned your computer recently.  When I upgrade to Windows 10, I didn't even bother to install any type of anti-virus and stuck with the default security, which is Windows Firewall/Windows Defender.  So far, no viruses BUT I've received, what Kyle calls "false positives", and funny enough, they come from trusted software, like REX.  Talk about frustrating when you forget to disable anti-virus programs and get parts of your installs deleted due to false positives.

Kyles suggestion is sound, albeit a bit annoying having to do that.  If I had to choose the lesser of the two evils, I'd take the false positives over security software that keeps the front door open.  

-Jim