Sign in to follow this  
Sesquashtoo

Flight sim, reality check..."....set!"...

Right now, I'm in an FS9 flight between Detroit and Dublin, climbing in an A330, for the 12 hour flight.

Sim full out, clouds full out, 'Sascha' full out...lol...all at a locked and steady 30 FPS. No time, dipping below that.

What is happening around me, and under me, is just great rendering.

I'm smiling, in that I remember when FS9 came out...I had a system at that time...and it was the best that could be purchased, CPU/GPU wise...that I was lucky if I could maintain 15-22 FPS on the ground and around 28 in the air, with the sim set to how I like it...RIPPED!

Here I sit today, with an 8 year old system, that gives me in FS9, undreamed (of then...) performance, and of course, nothing slacking at all in the XPX,FSX, and P3D front.

I guess that I am grateful for what I have today...the level of tech, especially with the latest announcement from Intel, etc.  There truly is no incentive that I see on the forums, to go past my i7-975 Extreme CPU, for what it puts out at present...but here's hoping, as I ascend to FL300, that the party isn't over...somewhere down the line, we will truly see a full-push CPU advancement,  that can take us cleanly and CPU-stress free, to 6 GHz and even beyond.

In our hobby...we need GHz speed, plain and simple. We are CPU bound...

So, reality check.  I'm happy for what I have that was actually produced...for what it does put out, in performance...and I would have climbed Mt. Everest without an oxygen bottle...to have had this system and its metrics,...in 2004!!!

I have to remember that, the next time I fire up FSX or P3D and just know what I am asking my poor CPU/GPU combo to put out on the screen to meet my virtual  'needs'.  Yep...I have to think  2004....and then just smile, and fly.....

Over and out...

Captain Ses

I have to remember that, the next time I fire up FSX or P3D  .....

Captain Ses

You're gonna have to stop listening to your mind ...... it's telling you to do the wrong thing!

...but here's hoping, as I ascend to FL300, that the party isn't over...somewhere down the line, we will truly see a full-push CPU advancement,  that can take us cleanly and CPU-stress free, to 6 GHz and even beyond.

In our hobby...we need GHz speed, plain and simple. We are CPU bound...

Captain Ses

Ah, yes!  But history has a tendency to repeat itself and if and when we get to a 6 GHz CPU developers will, by then, be pushing out stuff which will need a 9 or 10 GHz CPU.  Isn't this what they call "progress"??!!

Dijvid

Why would Detroit-Dublin be 12 hours?

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

Mitch, yes you are so right! Enjoy what you have and don't gripe when you reach the limit of what is possible today ... remember 2004... and imagine where we'll be 2024 ... I'm ready to be amazed!

Many years ago I used to know someone who flew the Aerowinx B747 across the Atlantic in real time and sat at his sim all through the night until he got to his arrival airport.  That's "real" simming :excl:

Dijvid