Sign in to follow this  
dokelly07

2k or 4k for P3d?

I have been rocking my 27 inch Asus 1080 monitor for about three years.  I am really wanting to jump to 4k but feel that I will lose too many frames in the process.  Can anyone give me some insight.  My new rig can pull 45+ frames in complex areas such as Orbx NCA San Fran area with Orbx addon airports.  I have everything set super high and see 60-70, sometimes 80/90 when I am out of major urban areas doing VFR flying. 

specs:  i7 6700 at 4.2, 16 gigs ram, EVGA 980ti watercooled

Thank you for any input you can offer.  I am leaning towards going with a 2k setup.  Any recommended options will be considered and again I sincerely appreciate the time and advise.  I can easily research the impact it will have on games like BF4 etc...but we (simmers) are not the vocal majority when it comes to hardware testing.

Cheers

Dan

I didn't really notice any significant change to frame rates when moved from 1080 to 4K.  Anything over 30" probably need to start looking at 4K or everything will start to get blurry, especially if you plan on using monitor for web browsing, etc.

Buy a monitor from a store you can return it to if you're not happy with results.

I recently moved from a 22" 1080p monitor to a 32" 2k monitor and it's absolutely amazing. Minimal impact on fps, i'm running an i5 2500k @4.3ghz and a gtx770

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

4790k, 980ti, 16gb 2400 cl9, and just switched from 1080 to 4k. No huge frame rate drop, smooth as butter with unlimited, no vsync to TB. I love it, and recommend it!

OC your 6700K too, it will help a lot in P3D...at least it did for me.

Ron Hamilton

"95% is half the truth, but most of it is lies, but if you read half of what is written, you'll be okay." __ Honey Boo Boo's Mom

Thank you for the help guys.  I think I will order from newegg since I have premiere and can return items at no cost.  I will try out the Asus predator and see how it goes.  More than likely going to hold off a bit though and see what prices do.  That is quite the cost for some extra real estate.