Sign in to follow this  
scottb613

PIREP on 34" 21:9 Monitors ?

Hi Folks,

Been considering a replacement for my tried and true 4:3... I have a top end GTX970 to drive it... The Aerosoft guys have been raving about their new LG 21:9's... I watched a video on YouTube comparing fields of view in FS between the various aspect rations - and - I think I'm sold...

So - the most prevalent critical comments I see are always complaining about backlight bleed... Is it really that big a deal ???

Curved or Flat ??? Does one have more backlight bleed than the other ???

Do I need Thunderbolt - this is for Apple machines only - right ???

I'm leaning towards the Dell U3415W - seems like the most popular - anyone have this - LG better ???

Anything else I should consider ?

Thanks...

Regards,
Scott

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I have the Dell. There is backlight bleed in corners. when screen is black (how often is that in real life :) Apart from that, I am quite satisfied with the monitor. Moved up from a 32 inch 1080p TV and the difference is remarkable. I am biased though.

Hi Graham,

Thanks for the feedback - yeah - I think I may go this route...

Regards,
Scott

I considered a 21:9 monitor but decided that the vertical dimension was too small - about the same as my old 1900x1200 monitor I had been using for many years. So went for a 40 inch 3840x2160 (4K) monitor instead at about the same or less cost. Now I see there is a 43 inch version of this monitor - even better.

Bruceb

I have the Dell U3415W and I'm really happy with it. There is bleed from the backlight in the corners but only visible with a black screen. I'm running a GTX 970 and have been struggling with blurries in P3D. Maybe I need to get me a GTX 980 ti.