Sign in to follow this  
jason99vmi

Increase the speed of scenery tile loading

Grrm, I cannot switch HT on - my overclock would run too hot.

Regards,

Chris

--

13900K, Gigabyte Geforce RTX 4090, 32GB DDR5 RAM, Asus Rog Swift PG348Q G-SYNC 1440p monitor, Varjo Aero/Pico 4 VR

Yes, HT would do a lot more work and if we have an overclock high up the heat curve, then only a tiny change to processing intensity can lead to overheating.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

If you are running p3d version 3.2, there is a problem with the highest resolution imagery popping in only about a mile away. This problem was not there in version 3.0 or in previous releases. If you are not using 3.2, then you can use the above mentioned optimizing adjustments.

PC=9700K@5Ghz+RTX2070  VR=HP Reverb|   Software = Windows 10 | Flight SIms = P3D, CAP2, DCS World, IL-2,  Aerofly FS2

Keeping with the four core HT enabled example I was using. Another problem we face is that addon exe's often invoke simconnect clients. These clients utilise the networking resources of the PC even though they run on the same machine. The jobscheduler looks for places on the CPU to place jobs like these and they can appear on our rendering cores. Network and disk i/o processes are highly threaded and spread around thinly, but any appearing on core zero with our main thread will tend to sawtooth it, increasing the possibility of stutter. Going back to no AM intensifies work on the first two cores, leaving the jobscheduler to target the second two cores instead.

With system and addons being so varied, the only way is to test on a per system basis. Most of the time with P3D (or FSX) no AM will give reasonable performance and few headaches and still be within 10% of maximum performance.

If you are running p3d version 3.2, there is a problem with the highest resolution imagery popping in only about a mile away. This problem was not there in version 3.0 or in previous releases. If you are not using 3.2, then you can use the above mentioned optimizing adjustments.

So do you mean if I set it lower it won't happen? If yes, what setting is that?

With system and addons being so varied, the only way is to test on a per system basis. Most of the time with P3D (or FSX) no AM will give reasonable performance and few headaches and still be within 10% of maximum performance.

That was a very wise sentence Steve.

Indeed there's no holy grail available, neither with HT On or off.

I have been experimenting with HT for more than a year, trying almost all possible combinations on the main machine of my full-size 737 cockpit (running four other PCs in the net) and there were two simple conclusions that I came to:

1. HT-ON and overclocking (regardless how carefully done) simply don't go well together. Careful and meticulous overclocking without HT always gives better results.

2. Even without overclocking, HT-Off gives a much better and more importantly more fluid overall result on my four core 4790k, running only 5-6 external programs on that main PC.

Potroh

Hello,

This topic brings me back ten years ago when FSX was released. Ten years later blurries are still an issue even though simulations software has improved somewhat and hardware has hugely improved. The beast has still the upper end. Maybe in ten years time blurries will be defeated :Tounge:   

Hello,

This topic brings me back ten years ago when FSX was released. Ten years later blurries are still an issue even though simulations software has improved somewhat and hardware has hugely improved. The beast has still the upper end. Maybe in ten years time blurries will be defeated :Tounge:

Probably because 10 years later we are still using the same core engine in P3D. It has already been defeated though, in X Plane.

It has already been defeated though, in X Plane.

Good point.

To improve rendering performance

Hi Steve-

What is rendering performance exactly?

Thanks,

Mark

The reproduction of each frame takes place regardless of how many seconds background thread activity takes collecting data.

Probably because 10 years later we are still using the same core engine in P3D. It has already been defeated though, in X Plane.

Spelling mistake: upper hand !

When I tried the Xplane  demo, it expired before I could figure out how to set up the flight controls...Anyway there are some outstanding addons (A2A) which are not designed for X plane so it is not a simulator that I can have. Interesting to know that the issue is fixed with X plane though.

Thank you

The reproduction of each frame takes place regardless of how many seconds background thread activity takes collecting data.

Thanks.

What worries me is that nobody realizes it but the jobscheduler entry in P3D 3.2 is broken - that is why AM increases blurries. It works in a sense - it does allocate jobs to the appropriate cores (LP) - but it is broken because the allocation is bad. The way that the jobscheduler allocates threads is not operating efficiently (it is messing up the allocation) - that is the bug. I'm not sure if it is related to HT on or off, but it is broken with HT I have personally seen it with my own eyes when I examine the CPU loading traces.

But if you use a manual AM config loading it by hand (the only way) while P3D waits for input at the dll.xml entry point (like I posted a page back), you will see that the CPU AM is set up as LM intended it. All the jobs flow through smoothly and scenery loading is much more reasonable as you would expect it to be.

Try it. You won't damage anything. Matter of fact, you can return your config file to default even better (except if you want FFTF benefits where there is a frame boost in certain scenarios not all)

What worries me is that nobody realizes it but the jobscheduler entry in P3D 3.2 is broken - that is why AM increases blurries. It works in a sense - it does allocate jobs to the appropriate cores (LP) - but it is broken because the allocation is bad. The way that the jobscheduler allocates threads is not operating efficiently (it is messing up the allocation) - that is the bug. I'm not sure if it is related to HT on or off, but it is broken with HT I have personally seen it with my own eyes when I examine the CPU loading traces.

But if you use a manual AM config loading it by hand (the only way) while P3D waits for input at the dll.xml entry point (like I posted a page back), you will see that the CPU AM is set up as LM intended it. All the jobs flow through smoothly and scenery loading is much more reasonable as you would expect it to be.

Try it. You won't damage anything. Matter of fact, you can return your config file to default even better (except if you want FFTF benefits where there is a frame boost in certain scenarios not all)

Currently using HT off, same issue. So I don't suppose its dependant on whether HT is on or off.

Would your method work if, I quickly changed the AM in the task manager while P3D was still initializing? I mean without using the dll method.