Sign in to follow this  
Alpha Floor

Stupid PPL exam questions

Is it possible that also the Spanish test has not only one right answer?

I think these questions are all single answer, not multiple choice.

To be fair towards the "administration", I can't guarantee 100% that these are the actual exam question. They might have been leaked out of the exam by examinees and so on, hence the poor wording. But still...

And yes, the Spanish language can be very logical and precise. Whether the Spanish culture and/or administration are logical, hehehe, that would be the subject of another debate :)

• Upvote 1

Jaime Beneyto

My real life aviation and flight simulation videos [English and Spanish]

System: i9 9900k OC 5.0 GHz | RTX 2080 Super | 32GB DDR4 3200MHz | Asus Z390-F

And yes, the Spanish language can be very logical and precise. Whether the Spanish culture and/or administration are logical, hehehe, that would be the subject of another debate :)

Simply replace "Spanish" for "Portuguese" in the above sentence, and you'll get my opinion :-)

For some reason my aerodrome is filled with "D-" gliders and tug aircraft. Not a single "CS-"....

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

For some reason my aerodrome is filled with "D-" gliders and tug aircraft

Same thing happens in Spain, or LEOC where I had the chance to glide :D

First day I said "Oh my! So many Germans flying in here", people laughed to my comment, haha.

Jaime Beneyto

Try some of the engineering exams, ppl childs play by comparison.

Uk caa Multi choice 4 answers,1 obviously wrong and the other 3 correct to varying degrees only 1 totally correct.

For what its worth my thoughts regarding the answers are 1a 2b 3c 4c

• Upvote 1

Pete Little

Uk caa Multi choice 4 answers,1 obviously wrong and the other 3 correct to varying degrees only 1 totally correct.

Oh boy, I would have a heart attack in the middle of the exam, hahaha.

In my binary mind, an option is either correct or incorrect. "correct to varying degrees" will cause me a stoke, haha

For what its worth my thoughts regarding the answers are 1a 2b 3c 4c

I won't argue with the rest, but I can tell you that 1a is not correct. When the aircraft is stalled, lift is not exactly ZERO, which I believe is what the option implies when saying "stop having lift".

Jaime Beneyto

Answers:

1 - B

2 - A

3 - D

4 - D

The key is to not overthink.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

Yeah, but you see that none of your answers matches the ones from Pete, right? :D

Sure... but... first, mine spell b a d d... always a good start... second:

1b - The beginning of a stall always has this.

2a - Thickest air density it's going to operate in. It generates thrust by moving through air mass and the air's density will affect it's efficiency.

3d - The only variable that impacts what angle you will need to use for a turn to get where you intend to go. Weight isn't a factor, at all. Load factor is a result, not an input. Speed is an input, but it dictates basic bank angle. Wind will override it either requiring greater or less as you go through the turn.

4d - Seriously, any of the first three are possible, but they're aircraft specific... not generic enough.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

3d - The only variable that impacts what angle you will need to use for a turn to get where you intend to go. Weight isn't a factor, at all. Load factor is a result, not an input. Speed is an input, but it dictates basic bank angle. Wind will override it either requiring greater or less as you go through the turn..

You're overthinking it. The correct answer they're looking for is C. You can argue all you want to the scantron machine with your esoteric justifications, but you'll still be marked wrong. Cooperate, and graduate.

The correct answer they're looking for is C

But why? Speed and bank angle are, in principle, independent. They only become dependent on each other once you apply conditions (like keep a constant turn radius), which the question does not.

Jaime Beneyto

You're overthinking it. The correct answer they're looking for is C. You can argue all you want to the scantron machine with your esoteric justifications, but you'll still be marked wrong. Cooperate, and graduate.

No... you're overthinking it... I'm just justifying the choices of b.a.d.d. Big%20Grin.gif

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

nah your all wrong if in doubt the answers is always d if its multi choice questions :)

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

It's Spanish (probably Portuguese also) for ultralight airplane (VLA in English, I believe)

But if as you say the standard for a PPL pilot is low, for a VLA pilot it's even lower... I was told of a case in which a VLA pilot didn't know about the difference between TAS and IAS. He'd say: "Wow, I've noticed that when you climb higher, there's ALWAYS a tail-wind, you see, I fly at a constant 100 km/h on the indicator, but the GPS shows a higher speed!" haha

Got it!  Thanks.

- Nick

Like flight sim videos? Do me a favor and take a quick survey: http://www.avsim.com/topic/488157-flight-sim-video-survey/#entry3416965

Like fighter jets/planes? Do me a favor and take a quick survey: http://www.avsim.com/topic/488215-what-fighter-jetsplanes-do-you-enjoy-watching-in-fs-videos/#entry3417428

But why? Speed and bank angle are, in principle, independent. They only become dependent on each other once you apply conditions (like keep a constant turn radius), which the question does not.

Yes, and the unspoken condition here is the constant turn radius. I've taken enough of these tests, taught enough students to take them to tell you that. Yes, it is not stated in this poorly worded, twice translated interpretation. But that is because it is a twice translated, poorly worded question. Something always gets lost in translation. The real lesson here is not that the greater the speed, the greater the bank angle required to maintain a constant turn radius, but rather to not overthink anything and just cooperate and graduate. Give them the answer they are looking for if you want to be correct. That's all. Life doesn't have to be this hard.

Yes, and the unspoken condition here is the constant turn radius. I've taken enough of these tests, taught enough students to take them to tell you that. Yes, it is not stated in this poorly worded, twice translated interpretation. But that is because it is a twice translated, poorly worded question. Something always gets lost in translation. The real lesson here is not that the greater the speed, the greater the bank angle required to maintain a constant turn radius, but rather to not overthink anything and just cooperate and graduate. Give them the answer they are looking for if you want to be correct. That's all. Life doesn't have to be this hard.

Mmm.  Well that's what I did.  But I haven't found these types of questions and answers only on tests.  I seen this kind of crap in the PPL ground school study software.  "Life doesn't have to be this hard."  Strange thing to say seeing as the OP isn't studying for his PPL or something.  He is an engineer.

Probably you don't understand types like us--not that I am an engineer.  But we hate stuff like this.  It drives us nuts, when something technical is done poorly like this--especially when it comes to teaching or earning a license in aviation.  Accuracy matters, especially in aviation.

- Nick

Like flight sim videos? Do me a favor and take a quick survey: http://www.avsim.com/topic/488157-flight-sim-video-survey/#entry3416965

Like fighter jets/planes? Do me a favor and take a quick survey: http://www.avsim.com/topic/488215-what-fighter-jetsplanes-do-you-enjoy-watching-in-fs-videos/#entry3417428