Sign in to follow this  
Luftwulf

Departing FSX, Arriving X-Plane

Angelo,

"You can choose to put Steam in OFFLINE mode and it will remain that way until you allow it back on. You can of course always play the content you bought without an internet connection."

Offline mode as you mentioned has nothing to do with their site Server being Offline (down) and your running Xplane10 as I mentioned previously.

I mentioned that their Server (Steam on the Internet) must be up and running .... they verify each time you start Xplane10 if you are a legal user (your PC) or the game will not start.

And while their Internet site is down you cannot log into your account on Steam or Play Xplane10 on your PC ..

You purchased Xplane10 but you cannot use Xplane10 all the time.

Steam has control when you can use Xplane10 on your PC.

Edit:

I know this to be true .. as I mentioned previously ... I have had the problem several times now.

And, I have used Offline Mode.

BTW, if your personal internet provider is down (like Comcast) how do you log into Steam to go into OffLine Mode on your PC?

I have never dad these problems with running other filght sims (FS9, FSX and P3D).

Best Regards,

Vaughan Martell - PP-ASEL KDTW

I mentioned that their Server (Steam on the Internet) must be up and running .... they verify each time you start Xplane10 if you are a legal user (your PC) or the game will not start.

Not true. Steam only checks the first time you click play if you are authorized to play, After that you can play anything offline/online to your hearts content. Been using Steam over 10 years now and 300+ games in the library and never had an issue from Steam and wish I could import my entire FS products/addons to them.

Update, it may seem Laminar requires you to check in online once every two weeks similiar to the E-version they sell...Dumb Choice by them, but oh well.

Angelo,

"You can choose to put Steam in OFFLINE mode and it will remain that way until you allow it back on. You can of course always play the content you bought without an internet connection."

Offline mode as you mentioned has nothing to do with their site Server being Offline (down) and your running Xplane10 as I mentioned previously.

And while their Internet site is down you cannot log into your account on Steam or Play Xplane10 on your PC ..

You purchased Xplane10 but you cannot use Xplane10 all the time.

Steam has control when you can use Xplane10 on your PC.

Edit:

I know this to be true .. as I mentioned previously ... I have had the problem several times now.

And, I have used Offline Mode.

BTW, if your personal internet provider is down (like Comcast) how do you log into Steam to go into OffLine Mode on your PC?

I have never dad these problems with running other filght sims (FS9, FSX and P3D).

You clearly have not used it correctly... That's exactly what it's for... For when the service is unavailable, so you can still play your games.

You still "log in" to the steam app, but it uses cached credentials. You don't need even an internet connection. If you can't do it you are missing part of the setup/checks to. Ake sure credentials are cached.

Not true. Steam only checks the first time you click play if you are authorized to play, After that you can play anything offline/online to your hearts content. Been using Steam over 10 years now and 300+ games in the library and never had an issue from Steam and wish I could import my entire FS products/addons to them.

Update, it may seem Laminar requires you to check in online once every two weeks similiar to the E-version they sell...Dumb Choice by them, but oh well.

If Steam site is down .. how can Steam check "if you are authorized to play" Xplane10 (I do not know about "Other Games".

If your internet provider is down how can Steam check "if you are authorized to play" Xplane10?

You clearly have not used it correctly... That's exactly what it's for... For when the service is unavailable, so you can still play your games.

You still "log in" to the steam app, but it uses cached credentials. You don't need even an internet connection. If you can't do it you are missing part of the setup/checks to. Ake sure credentials are cached.

That could be true .. I have not used off-line in a long time .. just on line ... and before you mentioned here about "it uses cached credentials" .. I never had known that.

So, in my case I get up .. turn on PC , run Xplane10 and it won't start .. because Steam site is down.

Best Regards,

Vaughan,

I'm not sure you realize how many millions of people use Steam on a daily basis. The outages a *very* few and far between. If you are having trouble to connect this often, that's definitely an issue with your internet connection. If it's stable/good enough to download an app as big as X-Plane 10, I wonder how it's possible to lose connection as much as you seem to do.

If you haven't had it for more than two weeks and used it for less than a total of two hours, Steam does offer refunds.

I'm not sure you realize how many millions of people use Steam on a daily basis. The outages a *very* few and far between. If you are having trouble to connect this often, that's definitely an issue with your internet connection

Marius,

Exactly.

My (Michigan, USA) Comcast internet does go down too often ... I lose Internet, Phone and TV service.

Not so often (downtime) with Steam but even once means you cannot start Xplane10 when Steam goes down.

But that was my initial point. The problem I experienced.

I do not just lose the internet connection ..as in a hickup (unstable) ... the internet "service" could be down for hours at a time.

When that happens here I can play FSX but not Xplane10 (Steam).

Best Regards,

If Steam site is down .. how can Steam check "if you are authorized to play" Xplane10 (I do not know about "Other Games".

If your internet provider is down how can Steam check "if you are authorized to play" Xplane10?

That could be true .. I have not used off-line in a long time .. just on line ... and before you mentioned here about "it uses cached credentials" .. I never had known that.

So, in my case I get up .. turn on PC , run Xplane10 and it won't start .. because Steam site is down.

Steam is rarely...rarely....rarely..down. Steam has over 125M users and peaks around 9M users on a good day. Did I mention it's rarely..rarely down. If the Steam site is down regularly on your end then you have a connection issue and even so you have the option to launch Steam in "offline" mode till it's back up. 

If the Steam site is down regularly on your end then you have a connection issue and even so you have the option to launch Steam in "offline" mode till it's back up.

If I am in on-line mode (Steam) from the previous day.

Next day I turn on my PC.

My local internet connection is down (storms in the area).

How do I connect to Steam to go in Off-line mode to use Xplane10?

Now, if the Steam site happens to be down ... cannot switch to OFFline mode?

Best Regards,

Vaughan, I'm not suggesting that you aren't experiencing what you say you are, but the reason why everyone is disagreeing is because no-one else has your same apparent issues.

I also have used Steam for many, many years, and also have hundreds of titles purchased through it. 

I use Steam on both my desktop / sim pit, and on my laptop / dev machine.  On my desktop it stays online 24/7.  I rarely (never) have connectivity issues, so things just work. On my laptop however, I use it away from home almost exclusively. Some of the time (like right now) I'm tethered through my iPhone to the internet, at other times I just stay unconnected. Steam launches when I boot my laptop, which is very rare - most of the I simply close the lid to put the laptop to sleep. 

However, regardless of whether I'm connected to the internet or not, regardless of whether my laptop has seen weeks without a restart or if it's a fresh boot, when I launch X-Plane, it simply launches. There are absolutely zero instances for me of X-Plane through Steam failing to start because of internet connectivity. To be clear, it's not even a matter of Steam notifying you that it's in 'offline' mode. It just works.

The only possible thing that I can think of, is that you don't start Steam when you boot your computer - that you are starting it and stopping it every time you start X-Plane.  In that scenario, you will indeed by asked for login credentials when you start Steam, but it most definitely will allow you to start in 'offline' mode, and there should be absolutely no issues in then attempting to start X-Plane.

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

Jimmy,

I have to always connect to Steam to go into offline mode .. how do you get around doing that?

Best Regards,

I have to always connect to Steam to go into offline mode .. how do you get around doing that?

First of all, is Steam prompting you to do something? I it popping up some sort of message box?  If you could take a sceenshot of what it's telling you, that could help.

One thing that I can think of is that you aren't saving your account credentials inside the Steam application.  If you don't do this, yes, you will have difficulty launching Steam in offline mode without a connection.  There's a setting under 'Settings / Account' where you can checkmark a box that says "Don't save account credentials on this computer'; you need to have this box unchecked.

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

Jimmy,

Thanks for your follow-Ups here.

"One thing that I can think of is that you aren't saving your account credentials inside the Steam application.  If you don't do this, yes, you will have difficulty launching Steam in offline mode without a connection.  There's a setting under 'Settings / Account' where you can checkmark a box that says "Don't save account credentials on this computer'; you need to have this box unchecked."

I just checked this .. all ok and I can start in off line mode.

Every time I reboot the PC I get a Steam screen Pop-Up box asking if I want On-line or Off-line.

I select Off-line and it works ok.

Personally, I do not like Steam running (using PC resources) when I am not using it (Off-Line) or Xplane. But, I have no choice there.

And I do not like answering the Steam pop up message on PC reboots. But, I have no choice there.

Now, back to the question.

If I am in On-line Steam Mode and Steam site or my Internet goes down is it possible to switch to Steam Off-Line mode to use Xplane10?

Best Regards,

Jimmy,

Thanks for your follow-Ups here.

"One thing that I can think of is that you aren't saving your account credentials inside the Steam application.  If you don't do this, yes, you will have difficulty launching Steam in offline mode without a connection.  There's a setting under 'Settings / Account' where you can checkmark a box that says "Don't save account credentials on this computer'; you need to have this box unchecked."

I just checked this .. all ok and I can start in off line mode.

Every time I reboot the PC I get a Steam screen Pop-Up box asking if I want On-line or Off-line.

I select Off-line and it works ok.

Personally, I do not like Steam running (using PC resources) when I am not using it (Off-Line) or Xplane. But, I have no choice there.

And I do not like answering the Steam pop up message on PC reboots. But, I have no choice there.

Now, back to the question.

If I am in On-line Steam Mode and Steam site or my Internet goes down is it possible to switch to Steam Off-Line mode to use Xplane10?

your issues are with steam not xplane. not sure why you are complaining about this. 

Xplane can also be bought online from LR directly which doesnt use steam. 

and to your question if you are set up correctly in steam offline mode everything should work

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=3160-agcb-2555

Jimmy,

I disabled my connection and launched Steam. Below I chose "Offline Mode"

2ln75np.jpg

This is the bottom banner of my Steam Library it shows that I'm in Offline Mode and am able to play every game that I own that was already activated online.

2zob2ux.jpg

I've seen this before and Steam uses 65 MB of memory resources and doubtful it will affect the performance of any PC that is capable to run any of the FS platforms. I can understand how you may not want your SIM tied to having internet access though. Also if you get the digital version from Laminar it has to phone home every 2 weeks or it will go into demo mode. The DVD version requires a DVD check now and then also. There are also some payware programs, IIRC X-aviation products will require you to go on-line and reactivate their products also. It's a digital connected world we live in now.