Sign in to follow this  
FlavioSSA

Estonia migration tool still works?

EMT is a potential license violator... why is it allowed to be discussed?

I do not agree. It is never a tool that violates EULA, but the user that applies the tool for a specific kind of software. In my understanding (I do not own/use it), EMT can be used for  many good, for instance to install FSX software into P3D, which is covered by many EULAs (e.g. Aerosoft's airports where you buy only once per bit).

Regards,

Chris

--

13900K, Gigabyte Geforce RTX 4090, 32GB DDR5 RAM, Asus Rog Swift PG348Q G-SYNC 1440p monitor, Varjo Aero/Pico 4 VR

How long have the EMT forums been down?

I also see the Developer version can't be accessed from the download page.....how long has it been like this?

CK

Let's steer away from EULA discussions please.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Hi CK! The last version (3.2.0.1011) works perfectly with the last p3d version. Why you want the developers version?

Following a reply the developers sent to me in here:

http://www.avsim.com/topic/490635-estonia-migration-tool-still-works/#entry3442120

The forum should come back in the next days. Let´s hope!

Flavio Cardoso - P3Dv4.5 HF3

Win 10 Pro 64Bits - i74960X 4.5ghz - ASUS Rampage IV Black Ed. - Corsair H150i Platinum - 32gb  Ripjaws Z - ASUS RTX 2080 SUPER SC - MCP 737R 2015 Virtual Avionics

There is nothing in EMT you can't do manually if you know what you're doing, including temporary register hacks during installations.

Dirk.

Using the Migration Tool is fine if YOU know what your doing and have the Computing skills to back track or track down a problem,  I would suspect a large amount of people Do Not have these skills to diagnose a problem that potentially "maybe" has been caused by the Migration Tool

Most non compatible Sceneries install just fine without any Tool anyway by pointing to your Prepar3D installed folder.

Aircraft can be a different story and quite problematic when gone wrong 

For Example:  The Level D 767,  Is one example of a Truly Non compatible V3 Installer,  It doesn't matter if your installing this using the Tool or Manually (Takes about 90 seconds)    Either way you are left with Errors and Crashes every 20 minutes.  If you were to just use this fine plane for short touches and goes and getting back before the errors,  this would be grand.   Now, to a hardened flight simulation enthusiasts (Computing skills)  You can Diagnose the location and cause of these errors and reverse it but to a Beginner it can be a case of a complete reinstall.  

Another example:  Dornier Do 27, same again, Installing this either Tool\Manually way will render your screen useless,  It installs a non compatible Gauge to your Gauge folder and your screen will go crazy,  If you locate and remove the offending Gauge (you will know by Date\Name you will have control over your screen again and have a 80% working aircraft but for a beginner it can spell a horror story.  

Yes yes i know you will always get folks that will insist "they run the above software in Prepar3D no probs at all"  But for the majority of users (especially beginners) it can be a mess  

The point is,  Using a Tool that takes full control of your Install Path=  adds massive complication when something goes wrong, You will never know if its the Tools fault or just a non compatible software or even something deeper. 

The real fun can happen when you have FSX + Prepar3D and the Migration Tool all installed at once,  Once enabled, You then have 8 folders, 2 Sims and 8 Registry Entries (6\Prepar3D + 2 more Migrating between Fake and real FSX) all chatting away at the same time.    

I had one bad experience when the Tool was Installed,  I cant be 100% it was caused by the Migration Tool but it annoyed me enough to learn about doing it Naturally (without an Tool) 

At least when you do it Naturally and something goes wrong,  you have less steps to back track.  

Please Note:  This Tutorial is for a full Fake fsx to Prepar3D Install path,  Depending on what you are Installing you will Not need all of this,  Use at your own caution :smile:  

http://www.avsim.com/topic/486409-how-do-i-setup-a-fake-fsx-install-path-to-prepar3d/

The bottom line,  The Tool works, only for the aware and experienced.   

• Upvote 1

Using the Migration Tool is fine if YOU know what your doing and have the Computing skills to back track or track down a problem,  I would suspect a large amount of people Do Not have these skills to diagnose a problem that potentially "maybe" has been caused by the Migration Tool

I have been a Microsoft certified engineer since 1995 and for last 19 years have done everything from install/configure email servers to my current role of managing a small helpdesk that cares for 80+ businesses, 2000 users and 250 servers. My experience with the migration tool had everything to do with the fact that is a hack, a workaround and nothing to do with my abilities to install, configure, or support Windows computing since Windows 3.1. Sorry, I appreciate your work in templatizing and standardizing much of the flightsim community voo-doo....but your statement is an overgeneralization and not just about my abilities.

To me is very simple: If someone don´t like the tool or don´t have a clue how to use it, just don´t. But don´t say it doesn´t work. It doesn´t work FOR YOU. The fact that it doesn´t work for some few, don´t say anything about the tool. Don´t matter how gazzilions years someone have in IT business. I for myself work with Database system´s for almost 20 years and it´s my moneymaker. If you ask me how to create a script in Microsoft Excel, i don´t have a clue! :) So, IT credentials in this business don´t say much.

IF (And a big if) it didn´t work for anybody them the history would be different. I completely understand the fact that the tool is a "hack" to do something that is not a natural process. But it don´t invalidate the very good results obtained. As i said before (And confirmed by Poppet) the only need is that you know what you´re doing and be somehow familiarized with the way FS/P3D works. Knowing this, it´s easy to understand what addons you might try with the tool and what addons you even don´t consider (Like Flight1 DRM protected addons - these ones i don´t even try to make it run. Too much variables).

@Poppet: I only disagree with you with the fact that you said that most incompatible scenerys can be installed to the correct p3d folders directly. Some scenery´s installers don´t give the option to select the folder to install (Some planes too). The rest of your comment is totally correct in my view. Your tutorial is fantastic, but i think using the tool is easier :)

Flavio Cardoso - P3Dv4.5 HF3

Win 10 Pro 64Bits - i74960X 4.5ghz - ASUS Rampage IV Black Ed. - Corsair H150i Platinum - 32gb  Ripjaws Z - ASUS RTX 2080 SUPER SC - MCP 737R 2015 Virtual Avionics

IF (And a big if) it didn´t work for anybody them the history would be different. I completely understand the fact that the tool is a "hack" to do something that is not a natural process. But it don´t invalidate the very good results obtained. As i said before (And confirmed by Poppet) the only need is that you know what you´re doing and be somehow familiarized with the way FS/P3D works. Knowing this, it´s easy to understand what addons you might try with the tool and what addons you even don´t consider (Like Flight1 DRM protected addons - these ones i don´t even try to make it run. Too much variables).

When it breaks the symbolic links in your file system, I will be happy to give you the benefit of my 2 decades of software installation, support, and troubleshooting.

OK, I think this is a good post to close on. I doubt any further informative posts will be forthcoming.

Shutting down....

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors