Sign in to follow this  
Jovabra

ADF a tenth frequency dialing

How to dial for example this 388.5 ADF frequency.

Drag the knobs of the ADF selector to the left of the GPS.

Kyle Rodgers

Kely,

Thank you but this is not they answer i wanted.

I mean: how to set decimal 5 or .5

So it must be 388punt5

Regards

Jo va Bra

Usually the NDB will have the next "whole" frequency in X-Plane. I would try 389 but you could check the navaids file to make sure (earth_nav.dat)

What part of the world has NDB frequencies with decimal kiloHertz?

Dan Downs KCRP

What part of the world has NDB frequencies with decimal kiloHertz?

The old Motherland (UK) has a couple. There are probably others. Interestingly NDBs like EME are simply listed at the lower whole (353 and not 353.5) on the sectional.

Kyle Rodgers

I ran into that problem when I flew out of Coventry, there is a NDB (CT) with a frequency of 363.5 (according to the AIP). On the other hand, on SkyVector this NDB is displayed as 363. So I dialed my ADF in the DC-6 to 363, and it worked.

I ran into that problem when I flew out of Coventry, there is a NDB (CT) with a frequency of 363.5 (according to the AIP). On the other hand, on SkyVector this NDB is displayed as 363. So I dialed my ADF in the DC-6 to 363, and it worked.

Sure... think about it. For example, say the NDB tone is 1000 Hz just for this example. The NDB frequency is listed in kiloHertz and it is AM modulated so if the carrier is 363,500 Hz the radio signal will have two sidebands at 364,500 and 362,500 Hz and easily detectable by the ADF receiver. In fact, the receiver probably has a BFO adjustment to allow for at least a 500 Hz variation in received carrier. This is why I find it interesting that any body would regulate such an odd frequency assignment, must be a story behind it that I'd be interested in as a retired communications engineer.

EDIT: On second thought, it is interesting that the digital simulation does allow the analog example to work in practice.

Dan Downs KCRP