Sign in to follow this  
G7USL

Rnav Approach

let me know if you receive an email from me....

Richard Boll

Wichita, KS

Which would be entirely in line with real-world operations in those part of the world ;-).

Hi Simon, 

Thanks for the additional explanations. I re-read your first post which I had overlooked a bit, sorry, where you said already that the visual are very seldom given to IFR traffic when IFR procedures exist.

Romain Roux

204800.pngACH1179.jpg

Avec l'avion, nous avons inventé la ligne droite.

St Exupéry, Terre des hommes.

let me know if you receive an email from me....

haha - got an email a few moments ago, looked at it, wondered how I got added to the thread, and then closed it without even looking at who sent it. Makes more sense now. Thanks!

Kyle Rodgers

Ted G has created some good videos from the STARS display. I'll try to send those, but FAA's server may block it since they are near the 10 MB limit.

Standby ...

Richard Boll

Wichita, KS

Kyle, I never dreamed that this thread would invite so many comments.  Maybe a NGX video by you eh? :)

Dave Taylor gb.png

Kyle, I never dreamed that this thread would invite so many comments.  Maybe a NGX video by you eh? :)

Yeah. Good question with good discussion.

I've been really busy lately, but what kind of topic related to the NGX are you thinking?

Kyle Rodgers

Thanks to everyone for an excellent discussion of various approach procedures.  This is one thread that expanded upon the OP's question rather than going off topic, IMHO.

I do have some observations and one question regarding the JFK 13L approach.

1) Simon, I don't see any harm in flying it slightly high when crossing DMYHL, so long as the pilot is willing to go around at the MAP pt -- although if VNAV is engaged this can lead to an unpleasant autothrottle switch into HOLD mode, because the logic is to go into HOLD if the aircraft is significantly above the approach path.   I did fly it again last night using the 800 ft crossing altitude and it does appear to be in line with a smooth, continual descent from at least CRI.

2) Why is the GPS approach NOT considered an RNAV approach?  It can be flown as such with CRI as the GPS-calculated FAF and DMYHL as the GPS-calculated MAP. 

Thanks,

Mike

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2

Are RNAV approaches doable in FSX ?

Thanks

Jack

Sure, it all depends on the nav data you have in your FMC and the accuracy of your scenery.

If they don't match (a default airport runway that would be wrongly placed in fsx) then the rnav approach would lead you to a point offside the runway.

• Upvote 1

Romain Roux

204800.pngACH1179.jpg

Avec l'avion, nous avons inventé la ligne droite.

St Exupéry, Terre des hommes.

Are RNAV approaches doable in FSX ?

Thanks

Hi, Jack,

In what sense?  They are certainly doable in any addon aircraft that has a working FMC, typically with its own database.  Examples: PMDG most or all aircraft including 777, 737 NGX, older 747 and MD-11 (now both discontinued), etc.  For some major airports there are simplified GPS approaches built into FSX, but I don't use them.

There are also free and payware addon FMCs that will enable you to do them by being added to simpler aircraft -- perhaps someone else will chime in with specific ones.

Scenery availability can affect them, as Romain just explained.

Also, PMDG wants you to sign your full name in its forums.

Mike

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2

I've been really busy lately, but what kind of topic related to the NGX are you thinking?

Are you being serious?

Dave Taylor gb.png

Are you being serious?

If I find time, I'd be interested to hear what you're looking for.

Kyle Rodgers

If I find time, I'd be interested to hear what you're looking for.

Kyle, with respect, my ole mate, the query is for RNav approaches.

Dave Taylor gb.png

Kyle, with respect, my ole mate, the query is for RNav approaches.

Right, but that's a generic topic and nothing to do directly with the NGX.

I can fly a RNAV approach in the Trashhawk with little difference from the NG, which is why I asked what you were looking for, specifically.

Kyle Rodgers

the query is for RNav approaches.

Dave, FCTM Flight Crew Training Manual may have what you are looking for. Check Section 5 that covers approaches in the NG, specifically 5.9 for GPS, IAN or VNAV topics. This is a good place to read about things like fail operational or passive too.

• Upvote 1

Dan Downs KCRP