Sign in to follow this  
vortex681

Saitek vs CH throttle quadrants?

I have a single Saitek throttle quadrant which seems to work well and I'm happy with it. However, it obviously has drawbacks when using it with twin-engined aircraft. I had considered getting a second quadrant but Saitek seems to be having problems producing/supplying them. Can anyone who has been able to compare the Saitek quadrant with the CH Products 6-lever quadrant give the pros and cons of each?

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I have both but prefer the Saitek units.

Saitek has a greater range of travel

Saitek has a micro switch at the full back position making assigning reverse, feather, lean etc much easier, with the CH unit you need to use the lower part of the levers already short throw as the reverse range.

I only use Fsuipc to configure the units, no experience with CH software.

I have had both units apart and the CH is (not surprisingly) much better made and uses full size pots

I had both of them at one time and the CH Throttle quadrant has less travel on every axis than the Saitek. Also the CH has a "zone" if you want to set it up for thrust reverser versus the Saitek that has a button and the lowest part of the axis. My preference is the Saitek.

Edit: Just saw Glynn post after I replied.

I use both. The Saitek has more (longer) movement in the axes, which will give you more precice throttle settings, but the CH is good enough to be honest. I use the middle 4 axes on the CH for throttles and the outer ones for flaps and spoilers.

The CH has an idle detente and behind that a reverse axis which when set up with FSUIPC gives good control of reverse thrust. The Saitek has a reverse setting but this ony acts as a button....ie on or off.

The CH unit has 6 two way rocker switches which I assign to autopilot MCP buttons.

I have had the CH unit for a number of years and it is still working well.

I got the Saitek yoke and throttle combo about a year and a half ago. The main reason was for the yoke which I prefer to the CH yoke. I use the Saitek throttle unit axes for landing gear and changing panel views and the switches for MCP functions.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the replies. I think I'll wait and see if the Saitek quadrants ever come back onto the market.