Sign in to follow this  
pilotinblue

New to the virtual side of flying - PPL Student

Hi AVSIM community, 

I’m a flight operations student based in Salt Lake City. As a future pilot I’m looking to get involved and fly not only at school. 

I’m completely new to the virtual side of flight operations. Currently, I'm studying for my PPL. I thought having a simulator at home will help me to develop better and more successful skills when flying a real airplane, of course, having fun while flying with others online.

Although right now my number one priority is to built my PC, I'm looking forward to learn more about this community.

I’d like to get help (and help) from this community going through the process of creating, what I am going to call “My Dream Simulator”. It'll be a long process collecting all the information from many sources and sites but at the end I hope to achieve my goal of having a sim for myself.

-Keep flying, Jose.  :smile:

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Welcome! You probably can't find a more helpful and knowledgeable community!

• Upvote 1

Look at the hardware section of the forum and make sure when you build a new PC it has fairly good specs.

Flightsims are demanding when it comes to computer power.

There is nothing more discouraging then firing up your new sim for the first time and it is a slide show (low frame rates).

It my opinion the only add-on you need from the get go is a 'weather program' like Active Sky to give you 'real' weather. 

• Upvote 1

In my opinion, the only thing you need is a decent airplane to fly.

As far as trainers go, the a2a Cherokee is a good choice..

• Upvote 1

In my opinion, the only thing you need is a decent airplane to fly.

As far as trainers go, the a2a Cherokee is a good choice..

I'm currently flying the Archer III (PA 28-181), the a2a Cherokee might be a good choice to start flying virtual.