Sign in to follow this  
jay281

FAO: G-Sync Monitor Users

Hi All,

Whilst messing around in Nvidia Profile Inspector i noticed that even tho i had G-sync to work in windowed mode set in NCP, it was not set in Inspector (showed fullscreen mode only). After correcting and applying the setting in Inspector i was amazed by the change in P3D smoothness especially when taxying around Payware Airports.

I also have triple buffering and V-Sync set to on in NCP and in P3D.

Kind Regards

James

Intel 10900k @ 5.1 HT on, Nvidia 3090, 32GB RAM @3800mhz, 1TB NVME Drive (P3Dv5.1), 1440p 48' Ultrawide Monitor.

Hi James,

I do not use NVI so cannot compare: in NCP I keep V-Sync off, in P3D V-Sync / triple buffering off with unlimited frames (G-Sync obviously enabled in full+win).

Also pretty satisfied with what I see indeed (tearing, stutters).

Enjoy your flights then.

Cheers,

Massimo Burti

Intel Core i9-13900K ¦ 64GB DDR4-3200 - 2x 32GB - Kingston Fury Beast - black ¦ 2x 2TB - m.2 NVMe Gen4 - Samsung 980 Pro ¦ Asus ROG Strix Z690-A Gaming WiFi D4  ¦ Asus TUF RTX 3080 Gaming OC LHR - 12GB ¦ 1000W - 80+ Platinum - Seasonic Prime PX

Hi,

You could download NVI and try it, if only you change that setting.  That said i was happy until i found out about the G-Sync setting in NVI.

Kind Regards

James

Intel 10900k @ 5.1 HT on, Nvidia 3090, 32GB RAM @3800mhz, 1TB NVME Drive (P3Dv5.1), 1440p 48' Ultrawide Monitor.

Hi James,

I abandoned GSync with P3D some time ago as I soon discovered that it was only effective when frame rates >=30 can be maintained. If your running sim is rarely heavily loaded then, of course, this is perfectly possible. Naturally I was disappointed at the time as I was not aware of this limitation at the time of purchase. However, on the plus side it works great with games! The only other game I'm aware of where GSync gets in the way is Skyrim. Skyrim runs very well without visual/audio artefacts using Adaptive (half refresh rate), Monitor = Fixed Refresh. Monitor has been set to always refresh at 120Hz.

However, that said, if I'm honest I often forget to activate GSync these days as everything runs very smoothly with it off. Still, it's nice to have that option.

Regarding P3D, I run Unlimited Frame Rate with VSync = ON and No Triple buffering.

Also, I use what many would regard as being a 'Maverick' setting of 21760 for Affinity Mask with Hyperthreading = OFF in the System BIOS. This gives me the greatest fluidity with with remarkably few long frames (micro-stutters). Just emphasises how each system can differ in the way it responds to settings and how important it can be to experiment until you find the best setup.

Regards,

Mike

Just emphasises how each system can differ in the way it responds to settings and how important it can be to experiment until you find the best setup.

+1  :Applause:

Massimo Burti

Intel Core i9-13900K ¦ 64GB DDR4-3200 - 2x 32GB - Kingston Fury Beast - black ¦ 2x 2TB - m.2 NVMe Gen4 - Samsung 980 Pro ¦ Asus ROG Strix Z690-A Gaming WiFi D4  ¦ Asus TUF RTX 3080 Gaming OC LHR - 12GB ¦ 1000W - 80+ Platinum - Seasonic Prime PX

I also have triple buffering and V-Sync set to on in NCP and in P3D.

I thought the whole point of G-Sync was to be able to turn V-Sync off?

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

The point of G-Sync is for the monitor to respond to new frame timing when the frame rate drops below the set frequency. As Mike says currently they only drop down to 30Hz. Weirdly though P3D VSync setting is not the monitor refresh vsync, but synchronises the GPU timing from the game generated framerate.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

I thought the whole point of G-Sync was to be able to turn V-Sync off?

gb.

Correct gb.

G-Sync enabled via NCP in full+windowed mode and V-Sync off in P3D works fine for me. You may experience little flickering (barely noticeable on my monitor) if your fps go below 30. If your system's able to maintain >30 fps, no flickering of any sort and no tearing even with V-Sync off and panning around like crazy.

Cheers,

Massimo Burti

...The P3D VSync setting enables the GPU to be limited to the monitor refresh, otherwise with Unlimited fps slider setting the frame rate will run above the monitor refresh rate with VSync off.

Hi,

Ive now dissabled V-Sync and Tripple Buffering (P3D), i only have G-Sync enabled Windowed+Fullscreen in NCP. But i also have the same setting in NVI. I truly believe setting windowed and fullscreen G-Sync in NVI is the key to maximising G-Sync through the full range. Before i had it set in NVI (by default it was set at fullscreen) i was still getting stutters.

As we know P3D runs a fake fullscreen.

Sorry if this isn't articulated well, im typing on my phone.

Kind Regards

James

Yes that's key to understanding how P3D works, there's only a desktop window or a full size window with borders and caption bar removed. The monitor VSync is tied to the desktop, this isn't controlled by the VSync setting in P3D display settings as I mentioned earlier.

Steve,

Thats why i mentioned that in the NVI profile for P3D G-Sync is set by default to fullscreen mode only. Even tho its set correctly in NCP.

Regards

Yes an astute observation    :smile:

After i changed it to fullscreen and windowed in NVI all was butter smooth.

Many thanks to the OP and others for the info on this topic!  Very timely for me as I have a 32" G-sync capable monitor on the way; I'm not buying it specifically for P3D but naturally I was hoping I might see some improvements there as well.  The tips and insight offered here will certainly be of help when I get down to configuring things.

Cheers! 

Kevin S