Sign in to follow this  
Nemo

ProATC X - New Version

You're correct, the text and the new voice instructions do NOT always match up.  It was only in the final weeks of the beta that it was decided to incorporate all the voice changes into the final product... before that, it was kind of a side-project that I was working on independently.  Honestly, I never fly with text turned on... so it wasn't a big priority for me.  With that said, the text can be changed to match up with the new voice phrases... but that will probably be another side-project for later.

While the menu system has been streamlined, it is still not possible to "check-in" without opening the menu.  Therefore, it is still difficult to integrate with voice-activation apps.  We brought this up with the developer on multiple occasions during the beta... but the requests were either misunderstood or impractical to implement within the existing program structure (our biggest victory was getting the "request descent" option safely tucked away in a sub-menu).  I always felt that 1 should always be the check-in key and 0 should be a toggle to open/close the menu.  If you really want a specific change, make your voice heard on the support forum... as I certainly can't speak for everybody :smile: .

• Upvote 1

Today I flew LIPZ-LKPR in the NGX using voice (VAC) http://www.dwvac.com/ to control ProATC and it all worked fine, The menu still needs to be open for some keys to be accepted from the voice software but confirming requests works without the menu being open as Jarkko stated.

Great stuff

Sounds very promising!

Did you know that you don't have to open the menu to confirm instructions or a checklist item nor for "repeat last instruction"?

Shortcut 2 to confirm. If there is nothing to confirm nothing happens.

Shortcut 3 for "Say gain".

And that's the problem the "2" key is also used for checklists. So there are still more than 1 function for some keys. 

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

And that's the problem the "2" key is also used for checklists. So there are still more than 1 function for some keys. 

Yes... but 2 is only used for checklists when the menu is displayed.  When the menu is closed, 2 will always be the "acknowledge/roger" key and 3 will always be the "say again" key (assuming they weren't changed in options).

• Upvote 1

Honestly, I never fly with text turned on... so it wasn't a big priority for me. With that said, the text can be changed to match up with the new voice phrases...

Well, actually, when I said I decided to ignore the text I forgot to add I also decided to disable it. ;) After Jarkko's post I got a totally new view on the flight info in the menu. I only had text enabled because too often I didn't understand what was said or I forgot everything (specially the initial clearance). I never really liked the text onscreen: immersion killer. I also had to keep it onscreen way too long. And now I like it even less because the info is off.

So now I simply listen to ATC and whenever I missunderstand, miss or forget something I can open the inflight information. It's a bit like having a little notebook at hand. ;) (I positioned the menu as small as possible in the lower left corner.) Sure beats that text on the top of the screen! Yes, things are really getting better and better. ;)

Now all we need is 1 to always be check in and another key for the menu and ProATC will be close to perfect. ;) Come to think of it... what would be even better is if 4 will always be the inflight menu, 5 other request, and so on. That way we don't need that 'main menu' at all anymore!

So now I simply listen to ATC and whenever I missunderstand, miss or forget something I can open the inflight information. It's a bit like having a little notebook at hand. ;)

...or you can just press 3 (Say Again) and have the instruction repeated :)

...or you can just press 3 (Say Again) and have the instruction repeated :)

LOL Yes, true, I often forget that, I will think about that more often from now on, but sometimes I really can't understand a word ATC is saying, depending on the used voice... ;) Not even after repeating it. I specially struggle with SIDs and STARs but also frequencies are often pronounced differently depending on the voice. Maybe I am having problems with this because English isn't my native language. But thanks for the reminder!

For SIDs and STARs, you can select to have them spoken phonetically (Alpha, Bravo, Charlie... instead of A,B,C...); but this may or may not help.

I agree that some voices are harder to understand than others... the thing is - for me, Claudia is by far the hardest to understand... but for somebody else, Maddog (me) may be harder to understand.  I guess it all depends on what accent(s) you're accustomed to hearing.  Remember that you can disable individual voices in the sound tab and Marcel's voices provide even more variety to choose from.

For SIDs and STARs, you can select to have them spoken phonetically (Alpha, Bravo, Charlie... instead of A,B,C...); but this may or may not help.

I agree that some voices are harder to understand than others... the thing is - for me, Claudia is by far the hardest to understand... but for somebody else, Maddog (me) may be harder to understand.  I guess it all depends on what accent(s) you're accustomed to hearing.  Remember that you can disable individual voices in the sound tab and Marcel's voices provide even more variety to choose from.

If you really don't like a voice you can even delete the file in the menu. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 Fenix A320, FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, , Milviz C 310

spacer.png

So now I simply listen to ATC and whenever I missunderstand, miss or forget something I can open the inflight information. It's a bit like having a little notebook at hand. ;) (I positioned the menu as small as possible in the lower left corner.) Sure beats that text on the top of the screen! Yes, things are really getting better and better. ;)

That is a good idea. Is the inflight information a panel? The reason I ask is that in Virtual Reality headsets, there is no menu to select anything, no text display to read anything. Only way to interact is by pressing or reading options on popup panels that appear as virtual windows, or by using voice commands.

Yes... but 2 is only used for checklists when the menu is displayed.  When the menu is closed, 2 will always be the "acknowledge/roger" key and 3 will always be the "say again" key (assuming they weren't changed in options).

No that's without the menu up! Once I select the checklist, the menu disappears, the checklist is read, and I check each item with the 2 key.

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

That is a good idea. Is the inflight information a panel? The reason I ask is that in Virtual Reality headsets, there is no menu to select anything, no text display to read anything. Only way to interact is by pressing or reading options on popup panels that appear as virtual windows, or by using voice commands.

Yes, it is a panel, well, a pop up window. Press 1 and then press (or click on) 3 and then you can read ALL the information you need. You can close the window with the key 0 (zero) or by clicking on 10 (the line is numbered 10 but it reacts to 0 (zero).

No that's without the menu up! Once I select the checklist, the menu disappears, the checklist is read, and I check each item with the 2 key.

Okay.  I see what your saying.  Even with the checklist in progress, 2 is still in essence an acknowledge key though... it's just applying to the checklist instead of ATC.

Okay.  I see what your saying.  Even with the checklist in progress, 2 is still in essence an acknowledge key though... it's just applying to the checklist instead of ATC.

Correct, and I don't think it would be an issue on the ground, however if you are in the middle of your after takeoff, descent, or landing checklist and you get anATC request, MCE wouldn't handle that right as it would try to respond to ATC but what would happen is you would advance the checklist instead, that is without some customized  code on MCE part which up to know FS++ has been reluctant to do.

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

Come to think of it... what would be even better is if 4 will always be the inflight menu, 5 other request, and so on. That way we don't need that 'main menu' at all anymore!

Boy, do I feel stupid... While disabling the text on screen I had a look at some other options and to my surprise I noticed the Flightplan Information already has a direct shortcut!!! Seriously! It's 6 by default! So no more need for 1 and 3: I can now go to the info with one keypress! And what's also nice: you can close the menu with any number key again! ProATC just has gotten even better. :Tounge:

And btw flying without that text onscreen is a lot nicer! That green bar spoiled the immersion. I am also surprised to notice I understand more than I though LOL SIDs and STARs are still a problem, though. But not really anymore now I have adopted the Flightplan information as my friend.