Sign in to follow this  

Norway

NOTE: we live in the US California

IIRC, you not only live in CA, but in the SF bay area, which has arguably

• the best overall weather in the world for humans to live in
  • a very diverse and excellent selection of foods available almost all the time
  • very nasty traffic, insane housing costs, and too much 'entitlement syndrome'

You and your wife are brave to consider leaving behind the first two, but as a fellow SF bay area resident I too really hate the last point and is a reason I'd leave too.  Good luck (seriously), I hope you find what you seek.

Rod O.

i7 10700k @5.0 HT on|Asus Maximus XII Hero|G.Skill 2x16GB DDR4 4000 cas 16|evga RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra|Noctua NH-D15S|Thermaltake GF1 850W PSU|WD Black SN750 M.2 1TB SSD (x2)|Plextor M9Pe .5TB NVMe PCIe x4 SSD (MSFS dedicated)IFractal Design Focus G Case

Win 10 Pro 64|HP Reverb G2 revised VR HMD|Asus 25" IPS 2K 60Hz monitor|Saitek X52 Pro & Peddles|TIR 5 (now retired)

Hi Rob,

I'd also recommend Ireland (my home country). Somewhere like Connemara in Co. Galway is absolutely stunning and apart from beautiful mountains, lakes and islands, you are next to Galway city with a lot happening and only 2.5 hrs away from Dublin. Property prices in the Galway region are really low and you can get a lot for your money. Check out the website myhome.ie for property listings. I am from Dublin originally but if I ever return to Ireland one day, my plan is to live in Galway.

Personally, I am living in Switzerland since 6 years and it is a fantastic location though very hard to get residency without a job or a business. However, if you are interested in this region, I would strongly recommend either northern Italy around the Lago Maggiore region (for example a town called Stresa) or nearby France in the Chamonix/Mont Blanc area. Both these locations are right on the border with Switzerland but much more affordable. You are in the heart of Europe with easy access to the Alps and the Mediterranean with lots of large cities nearby (Milan, Geneva, Lyon, Zurich, Strasbourg, Bologna, Genoa...the list goes on). There is so much to do and so many cultures to explore all right next to each other. You would never be bored for sure. If you want any other information on this region or Ireland, let me know. 

What about Canada?  Up the coast from Vancouver is very Norwegian-like scenery; but nicer climate ( as long as you don't mind rain).

Brian

Brian,

On of the captains I fly with commutes from Canada.  He's mentioned that if you don't get the residency permit you a limited on how long you can stay in country.  He's mentioned getting it, but there is an age cutoff where it becomes very difficult to obtain.

If you were going to move from California to the Pacific North West then Alaska would be easier as no immigration required. Canada and Alaska don't have the life challenge of moving to another continent and learning a new language and culture that goes along with it.

I have a friend from Svalbard, born and raised there. I can't think of a more amazing place to come from on the planet. Her first trip overseas she choose to live in New Zealand because she said being from Svalbard the world is intimidating, New Zealand is an island as well so easier for her to adjust to. You need to uproot yourself to that extreme to fully understand the life experience.

Matthew Kane

I have a friend from Svalbard, born and raised there. I can't think of a more amazing place to come from on the planet. Her first trip overseas she choose to live in New Zealand because she said being from Svalbard the world is intimidating, New Zealand is an island as well so easier for her to adjust to. You need to uproot yourself to that extreme to fully understand the life experience.

Fun fact, very few people are born on Svalbard. If you are pregnant you have to leave the Island before a certain time during your pregnancy.

Fun fact, very few people are born on Svalbard. If you are pregnant you have to leave the Island before a certain time during your pregnancy.

That's interesting. Why is that?

Regards,

Kevin LaMal

"Facts Don't Care About Your Feelings" - Shapiro2024

Svalbard isn't really a normal society, so they don't have that service at the hospital. The nearest full service hospital is in Tromsø, quite a distance away.

You don't retire there either, as far as I know, all who live there are temporary residents who are registered with a normal address in other parts of Norway.

Before the 90's families weren't common, and it was just mostly seasonal workers in the coal mines etc.

Guest JustanotherPilot

I took an extended visit last year(from Australia) I started in Bergen in the South and ended up in the Arctic circle near Murmansk. Coming from Australia I found it extremely cold but nothing that several inches of clothing didn't fix. During my stay the sun rose at 10am and set at 2pm. I found the people very friendly and the scenery stunning, particularly the northern lights. Most day to day items are expensive by my standards(average bottle of wine from $70-$100) but the Norwegians are on high salaries, with free health and education. They have a progressive Government who were wise enough 20 years ago to invest all their oil revenue then and are reaping the rewards now. A must see is the Air Museum at Bodo.

I could quite easily live there, but it would take a some transition to the climate and cost of living.

Svalbard isn't really a normal society, so they don't have that service at the hospital. The nearest full service hospital is in Tromsø, quite a distance away.

You don't retire there either, as far as I know, all who live there are temporary residents who are registered with a normal address in other parts of Norway.

Before the 90's families weren't common, and it was just mostly seasonal workers in the coal mines etc.

Very interesting! Thank you!
  • Upvote 1

Regards,

Kevin LaMal

"Facts Don't Care About Your Feelings" - Shapiro2024

Interesting thing about Svaldbard is that no residence permit or visa is needed to settle there. As long as you have the economy to feed yourself and pay for residency, you can just head up there.

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

Not surprising. I recall my friend saying there was only 4 people in her graduating class from school.

Interesting thing about Svaldbard is that no residence permit or visa is needed to settle there. As long as you have the economy to feed yourself and pay for residency, you can just head up there.

I think Svalbard is a fascinating place, but you would have to be crazy to try and make a go of it. I would rather Pitcairn Islands due to the climate.

Matthew Kane

I'd love to live there. I live in the Arctic part of Norway allready and am used to dark winters and endless summers. It gives you plenty of time to enjoy good food, wine and flight simulators. Svalbard has super fast broadband connection (50Mbit from your house). There are some eager FS enthusiasts living there, and it's quite funny to see their high tech FS setups inside small cabins :)

For some reason I am unable to paste anything into AVSIM topics, but if you do a google search on "Flysimulator Svalbard" and you'll get some nice photos of Svein Nordahl's setup.

Hello Rob,

As all my famlily lives in crowded but happy Holland (The Netherlands) and having good friends in Norway for many years I can tell you the following :

Norway is a very beautiful, rich and exiting country. To live there is just like a dream. But think of this : Norwegian are very proud of their country and way of living and will act like that. Nothing wrong with it, but it is an advantage when you speak and read Norwegian (not easy I can assure you) otherwise you will stay an stranger. Also Norwegian are very close and hugging with their families and friends so it is easy to become an outsider there after your arrival. This having said, Norway and the Norwegians are wonderful and I can advise you to move there.

Good Luck,

Ben Rikken

It is an advantage to speak Norwegian, but if you speak native English most Norwegians will love you right away, and often prefer to speak English right back at ya. We (Norwegians) have strong cultural bonds to the UK and USA which dominates the culture more than most Norwegians would like to admit. We like English football more than our own, and most of the movies and television we see are from the UK or USA. We don't dub movies into our own language - apart from children's cartoons. But the more popular animation movies from Pixar, Disney etc. will have English language screenings to satisfy adults :) Most Norwegian musicians write and sing English lyrics. People in Norway tend to be introverts and shy of strangers, and there is also much internal rivalry within Norway between the various regions. People from the North tend to despise people from the South and vice versa. However, if you're English or American, most people will accept you with little fuzz wherever you go! 

I'd love to live there. I live in the Arctic part of Norway allready and am used to dark winters and endless summers. It gives you plenty of time to enjoy good food, wine and flight simulators. Svalbard has super fast broadband connection (50Mbit from your house). There are some eager FS enthusiasts living there, and it's quite funny to see their high tech FS setups inside small cabins :)

For some reason I am unable to paste anything into AVSIM topics, but if you do a google search on "Flysimulator Svalbard" and you'll get some nice photos of Svein Nordahl's setup.

His system...

2014 video

Info

http://www.digi.no/artikler/har-fiber-men-ikke-innlagt-vann/289557