Sign in to follow this  
charles246

Majestic Dash 8 Fs2Crew Slow to respond

I have just updated to Ver. 3 of Fs2Crew Voice for Majestic Dash8 and was hoping that the previous time lapse (several seconds)  between my voice command and the FO actions would have been fixed. Unfortunately this is not so.I am not saying that this is a fault of the program unless of course many others are experiencing the same problem.  It could very well be a fault of my own system.

I also have Fs2Crew for PMDG NGX and DO NOT have this lag. In fact the action I ask for is almost instantaneous here.

I was wondering if there is a fix for this or whether other users are experiencing the same problem.

Specs. I7-980X. 12 GB RAM and GTX780 running on 3 windows Nvidia 2 D surround.

Thank you,

Charles

We program in a slight pause with most commands, so no FO responds instantly, but it would be no more than a second or two.

What's probably happening is that you're piling commands on top of one another.

So the FO has to finish whatever he's doing first before he can act on your command.

We program in a slight pause with most commands, so no FO responds instantly, but it would be no more than a second or two.

So the FO has to finish whatever he's doing first before he can act on your command.

OK thanks. I will look into this again and treat my FO as slow witted on the Majestic. Strange though, I give similar commands on the PMDG NGX and the guy there is on the ball.

On 10/21/2016 at 10:59 PM, byork said:

And this is the main problem for me.

Ask it to set FL xxx, and SET Alt Sel, I then have to wait 60 seconds before I can initiate the climb, as it takes soooooooh looooooong to dial in the new altitude.

Instead of allowing me to say Set FL XXX, and SET I AS at XXX, I cannot.

If I don't let it respond to the new FL (which it doesn't do until it has been dialled in - and it takes forever), before telling it to set climb speed, it gets confused and laggy.

So it's, "set FL, wait a full minute or more, THEN tell it to initiate climb."

You really need the patience of a saint for this.

And so many times, it forgets what I said, or queues them up, and 5 minutes later, does something I asked for 3 minutes earlier.

Also, I often find it confuses altitude with VS. I look down and it's climbing at 4000 fps instead of descending to 4000 ft.

I like the idea, but the lagging needs reducing massively, for it to be useable.

When it works, it's great, but because many things happen too slow, it is too unreliable, or just does the wrong thing.... I find I have to ' babysit ' it.

......which means the whole point is lost !

In other words, it becomes easier to do stuff yourself. Waiting to see if the requested FL is finally dialled in correctly, is tortuous.... I'd rather set it myself, and go and get a cup of tea.

Edited by Gabe777

Hi Byork.

Main problem is how slow the Altitude is selected.

If I ask for altitude to be selected from say 3000 to 23000.... it takes an age. Literally 90 seconds.

But, I need to initiate a climb simultaneously,  which he will not do until he declares "FL 230, Alt Sel". But, this only happens AFTER it gas been dialled in. So I get impatient and do it myself.

What we need is "Select FL XXX, IAS XXX", as one command,  AND as the Altitude is being dialled in (which needs to be MUCH faster!), he ALSO initiates the climb.

The problem is that commands are queued, they take too long to implement and the voice recognition is inconsistent.

(I can see why people prefer the Push Button version.)

But, bottom line.... it is basically quicker, easier and less stressful, to just do it yourself.

If you want FS2Crew, just to have a FO to change stuff on the MCP, lower gear and flaps, as I did, there is no point, as it is an exercise in frustration.

If you want it for the full checklist, procedural approach, then yes, I guess on that basis, you get what you want. But be careful what you wish for, as the other stuff, which you would expect to be simple, is a headache.

The scripted stuff is flawless, like take off..... that was perfect, but once we are in "free mode" with no scripted flows, that's where it starts to get a little hit and miss.

Anyhow, I will watch with interest as you continue to evolve and improve your software. I respect your efforts for sure.

Regards

Edited by Gabe777

FS2Crew isn't really designed for "free mode" per se.  You're meant to follow an airline style flight, which as it is in real life, is pretty scripted to a degree.

For the altitude, I'd have to double check it, but I don't think it should take 90 seconds.

Anyone else find it excessively long?

Sometimes we have to slow the FO down or he could miss the target value if he spins the knobs too fast.