Sign in to follow this  

PMDG NGX Youtube Tutorials

Good Morning everyone,

Thank you to anyone who subscribed to my channel, the feedback has been very good. I've just finished editing and uploading the first part of a full flight tutorial after a few days practice. 

It's on a short sector from Pisa (LIRP) to Ibiza (LEIB) following my companies procedures.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards,

Good Morning everyone,

Thank you to anyone who subscribed to my channel, the feedback has been very good. I've just finished editing and uploading the first part of a full flight tutorial after a few days practice. 

It's on a short sector from Pisa (LIRP) to Ibiza (LEIB) following my companies procedures.

<video link removed for brevity>

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards,

Hi Sam,

Already subscribed, will check that out later, by Sunday at latest, and give my feedback on your channel.  Watched one or two of your videos so far, and they are excellent!

Thanks again for all the effort in putting this videos together, the flightsim community, and us virtual NGX pilots, appreciate it greatly!

Brilliant stuff. Many thanks for taking the time to do this. Extremely helpful and insightful.

Sam,

thank you for going to such lengths and trouble to give us an insight to life "on the line" of a major operator of the B737. You have a human delivery that makes easy listening and you are thorough. I have been "flying" the NGX for some time now and have around 2000 sim hours on type, and I managed to learn a shed load of new stuff in your videos, just on operational aspects that you wouldn't go looking for in the FCOM.

Thanks for that and looking forward to more.

Blue skies and fly safely :)

Andrew

Thanks a lot for the videos, I discovered them thanks to Youtube suggestions 2 weeks ago and before seeing this topic.

I have one question though and I need a professional opinion:

Correct me if I'm wrong. It's stated in different professional forums that turning Autothrottle off when on final can be done in 2 different ways:

1- "Deselect": done by pressing the buttons situated at the thrust levers. In this case, the thrust is manual but the thrust mode announciates "Arm" and the A/T is armed so it engages automatically for alphafloor protection or by pressing the TOGA switches in the case of a go around.
2- "Disconnect": done by turning off the A/T switch on the MCP. It's full manual thrust without "Arm" mode or speed protection and in case of a go around, the thrust can only be set manually.

Is everything true in that? I asked because this doesn't seem to be the case on the NGX.

Thank you very much!

You're doing great work here. Thank you so much for this contribution for all of us who only get the chance to be in the cockpit virtually! 

Connor Pack

Yes, I will subscribe. The 737 and 777 are the only Boeing jets I am not rated in. The 787 is very similar to the 777, but the 737, or the "guppy" as some of us call it in the Boeing fleet, is a jet I would like to learn more about. 

Since you did this post Sam, I guess it is not against forum rules to promote your tutorials on you tube. I have started the same type of tutorial briefings called Training Tips on  the 747-400 and 747-8, when it comes out via PMDG. I have been rated on the jet since 1988 and am an instructor, check airmen, and FAA Examiner on it coming up on 30 years. 

I will also do real world stuff and provide education so that I can hopefully enhance the flight simmer experience of learning and enjoying these marvels of technology. The more you know, the more you can explore and enjoy these sophisticated simulations. While not totally accurate, they are pretty darn close. Looking forward to your channel...

First and foremost thanks again for all the positive responses and feedback. Working very hard at the moment but will do what I can! 

Sam,

thank you for going to such lengths and trouble to give us an insight to life "on the line" of a major operator of the B737. You have a human delivery that makes easy listening and you are thorough. I have been "flying" the NGX for some time now and have around 2000 sim hours on type, and I managed to learn a shed load of new stuff in your videos, just on operational aspects that you wouldn't go looking for in the FCOM.

Thanks for that and looking forward to more.

Blue skies and fly safely :)

Andrew

Thanks for the fantastic feedback. You're exactly what this channel is designed for. Proficient users of the NGX who want to take their knowledge and Application of Procedures to the next step!

Thanks a lot for the videos, I discovered them thanks to Youtube suggestions 2 weeks ago and before seeing this topic.

I have one question though and I need a professional opinion:

Correct me if I'm wrong. It's stated in different professional forums that turning Autothrottle off when on final can be done in 2 different ways:

1- "Deselect": done by pressing the buttons situated at the thrust levers. In this case, the thrust is manual but the thrust mode announciates "Arm" and the A/T is armed so it engages automatically for alphafloor protection or by pressing the TOGA switches in the case of a go around.
2- "Disconnect": done by turning off the A/T switch on the MCP. It's full manual thrust without "Arm" mode or speed protection and in case of a go around, the thrust can only be set manually.

Is everything true in that? I asked because this doesn't seem to be the case on the NGX.

Thank you very much!

Thanks for the feedback!

Pushing either A/T Disconnect on the Thrust Lever or pushing down the A/T switch has the same affect and it does exactly what it says on the tin! It will disconnect the A/T and the thrust mode annunciation will go blank, you have full control of the Thrust.

I've personally never disconnected the A/T using the switch, only on the thrust lever as you have to take your hand off the thrust lever to turn it off.

Yes, I will subscribe. The 737 and 777 are the only Boeing jets I am not rated in. The 787 is very similar to the 777, but the 737, or the "guppy" as some of us call it in the Boeing fleet, is a jet I would like to learn more about. 

I will also do real world stuff and provide education so that I can hopefully enhance the flight simmer experience of learning and enjoying these marvels of technology. The more you know, the more you can explore and enjoy these sophisticated simulations. While not totally accurate, they are pretty darn close. Looking forward to your channel...

Looks good Alex! Best of luck! We'll have all the Boeing aircraft covered! 

Happy Landings to all! 

Hey flightdeck,

Could you do a video showing us how you handle a "Des Path Unachievable" and/or VNAV Disconnect message from the FMC? Especially when ATC is giving you shortcuts during the STAR.

Thanks!

18 hours ago, cleonpack93 said:

Hey flightdeck,

Could you do a video showing us how you handle a "Des Path Unachievable" and/or VNAV Disconnect message from the FMC? Especially when ATC is giving you shortcuts during the STAR.

Thanks!

Yes! I second this request

22 minutes ago, andreh said:

Thirded!

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

23 hours ago, cleonpack93 said:

Hey flightdeck,

Thanks!

4 hours ago, andreh said:

3 hours ago, Gregg_Seipp said:

Thirded!

Haha very well! 

I'm currently at work until Sunday, my next tutorial will be on RNAV Approach procedures which was requested by quite a few people and the next one will be on Descent Management for you guys

I'll start just before TOD all the way to landing and I'll include tips and hints regarding descent management and what you can do if you're held high by ATC/receive a significant shortcut by ATC.

I've just resurrected this from a post a few years back, this is exactly what we apply to manage our descent.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Descent as is with any commercial aircraft is primarily about one thing, energy management and getting the aircraft safely configured at the correct speed for landing and the planning for that starts from TOD. Here’s the basics from TOD.

Firstly work out your expected track miles to landing, approximately x3 your altitude works out really well. Eg 30,000ft = 90nm.

Allow extra distance to reduce to approximately 200kts 10nm from landing, (add 1nm for every 10kts of deceleration). For every 10kts of Tailwind also add 1nm.

During the initial phase of descent (above 10,000ft) by far the most effective way to regain profile is to increase IAS, right up to 330kts. You can either recapture the profile at your planned speed in the FMC or update the new descent speed in the FMC to recalculate a new descent profile. If this still leaves you high then use speedbrake. 300kts + speedbrake gives you a pretty impressive descent rate. Especially when accelerating to that speed and it’s not uncommon to see -4000fpm or more!

In real life there are so many variables thrown in. Weather, ATC, shortcuts and traffic to name a few, you have to plan around that. There are very few descents where we’re sat on our hands watching the aircraft descending on the FMC’s planned profile at the correct speed!

As I've also mentioned on a post here previously we do not use just LNAV and VNAV, treat the MCP as a toolbox, use whatever mode you need to get the job done!

A large proportion of restrictions on STAR’s will leave you high and the most effective way to deal with it is to remove energy from the aircraft by reducing speed. If you do nothing about it VNAV will show you’re on profile (based on the restriction) and once passing the restriction you’ll see the VNAV profile somewhere 4000ft below you, FMC drag required etc. A great way during planning is to temporarily delete the ALT restriction in the FMC. This will show the ALT at which the aircraft would like to be at if the restriction wasn’t there.

Once below FL100 you are limited to 250kts so initially speedbrake should be used to increase your ROD.

If you still need more drag the next effective configuration is to reduce to 220kts, use Flap 5 w/speedbrake. (2300fpm ROD)

If you’re still looking high and getting close to the point you need to reduce speed for landing reduce to 180kts, use flap 10 w/speedbrake (1500fpm ROD or roughly 500ft/nm)

After that consider a hold or in real life we could request extended vectors.

The final phase of approach regarding descent management is governed by very strict criteria regarding stabilised approaches by our landing gate (500ft VMC, 1000ft IMC) and a go-around is mandatory if not correctly configured at the correct speed.

We use the 3,2,1 rule at 10nm = 3000ft AGL, 200kts and Flap 1 (our SOP’s states we must have at least F1 by 10nm) If this criteria isn’t closely met you’re going to have a hard time configuring the aircraft for landing.

I hope this information helped and as I always stress, is based on my operators SOP’s and taught during line training.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is exactly what I'll apply in the tutorial, I'll simulate a descent into the Spanish city of Alicante (LEAL/ALC). Arrival VLC2L - ILSZ 10 from TOD. I'll include a significant shortcut below FL100 which will leave us extremely high and I'll show you how to deal with it! (I used to be based there!)

I'm getting far more familiar with making tutorials now and I'm finessing my delivery and I'll be using a PDF viewer to share charts/checklists etc to aid with learning. A lot of people commented I can sometimes speak a little quick as I describe the actions of both PF/PM and the operational impact of what I'm doing (Try Being a Type Rating Instructor where you run a Level D sim, program failures and act as ATC, Cabin Crew whilst assessing the crew as well!) and these tutorials are designed for experienced users of the NGX but ANY feedback or criticism is taken on board. Video editing, computer programming is certainly not my strong point and it will improve over time! 

Remember the tutorials are based on my operators procedures, there are 100's of operators out there and some really knowledgeable guys in this forum who might give different accurate guidance (I still don't now what VNAV ALT or an IAN approach is!) and I still learn something new about this aircraft every day! 

Thanks also to PMDG for making this extremely accurate rendition of this aircraft, over the last couple of months I've used this product a lot more than before and I'm beginning to appreciate how close it is to the real thing, in cases more realistic then some of the multi million pound fixed base trainers used for MCC/Type Ratings! 

Any questions, please don't hesitate to contact me and I will always contribute to this forum, I was once that young kid playing FS2004 and trying to be as realistic as possible and I'm just returning to you guys what I wanted growing up!

Take Care!

You're a Godsend my friend. Thank you, I look forward to your coming videos!

Hey sam,

Re-watched part three of your flight to Ibiza and saw you gave a really great explanation of descent management already. Thanks!

Another request: would you do a video about the different categories of landings, and how to choose between setting up for a category 2 landing vs a full category 3 autoland?