Sign in to follow this  
regis9

Experiences with Kaby Lake in Windows 7?

Hello, there was a little bit of discussion on this in the Kaby Lake 5ghz thread, but I thought I'd start a new thread for anyone using Kaby Lake processors with windows 7 to post their experiences as they get settled in with their new processor. Are there issues or was the talk about Kaby Lake only working on windows 10 a bit overblown?

I'm looking at a CPU upgrade but don't want to do the windows 10 upgrade, so would probably go with the 6700k unless it's pretty clear that Kaby Lake does indeed work fine with windows 7.

Thanks

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

I completely overlooked this issue. I was planning on keeping Win7 (I just don't like 10 I've used it many times at work).  But I was planning 7700K.  I do have a DVD rw that I would reinstall Win7 from and I think I still have a PS/2 kb.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

I completely overlooked this issue. I was planning on keeping Win7 (I just don't like 10 I've used it many times at work).  But I was planning 7700K.  I do have a DVD rw that I would reinstall Win7 from and I think I still have a PS/2 kb.

No problem with Win7, with dvd Its easy , take some time compared to Win10 usb.

Download and install the latest rollups , then no problems with win uppdates

How about drivers for the motherboard? The web sites I have visited for a new laptop don't list any for Kaby / Win 10. Are you saying that the Win updates will carry the driver solution even on the latest motherboards?

Gordon

How about drivers for the motherboard? The web sites I have visited for a new laptop don't list any for Kaby / Win 10. Are you saying that the Win updates will carry the driver solution even on the latest motherboards?

Gordon

Just did a reinstall of Win 10 with a 6700K and let

Win 10 handle all driver installs automatically.

No ? or x in Device Manager and everything seems to be running great.

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

Who's Kathy Lake? Is she related to Ricki Lake?

Ugh, yes and they have a cousin named "Stu Pidautocorrect"...if there's a mod nearby maybe they could change the title?

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

Just did a reinstall of Win 10 with a 6700K and let

Win 10 handle all driver installs automatically.

No ? or x in Device Manager and everything seems to be running great.

gb.

Good news - thank you for the info

G