ray123

Windows 10 vs Windows 7 for FSX?

Recommended Posts

Hi everybody!

 

I was getting error after error in Windows 10. Out of memory, shutdowns etc.

 

I'm going to completely reïnstall Windows. What do you guys think? Windows 10 or 7?

 

In Windows 7 i've never had any issues. That's why I have this dilemma...

 

And any suggestions about a special partition for FSX or a folder directly in de C drive?

 

Thank you!  :good:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Hi everybody!

 

I was getting error after error in Windows 10. Out of memory, shutdowns etc.

 

I'm going to completely reïnstall Windows. What do you guys think? Windows 10 or 7?

 

In Windows 7 i've never had any issues. That's why I have this dilemma...

 

And any suggestions about a special partition for FSX or a folder directly in de C drive?

 

Thank you!  :good:

 

Did you upgrade to Windows 10 from an earlier version or was it a clean install? Upgrades often seem to cause unexplained problems as there are so many possible system permutations to try to cope with. I have FSX:SE running in a clean install of Windows 10 with no problems from the start (6 months). Although I've never had problems in the past running FSX from its default location, to be safe it's probably best to install it in its own folder outside of Program Files (x86). I would only give it a dedicated drive or partition if you're planning to install it on a hard drive (easier to keep defragged). I have mine successfully installed on the SSD boot drive with the OS.

 

If you're going to do a clean install of the OS, I'd recommend Windows 10. However, make sure that you get all of the Windows 10 motherboard, graphics and sound drivers for your system before you start. I'd leave automatic updates on but specifically stop automatic driver updates (see https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/15989-device-driver-automatic-installation-turn-off-windows-10-a.html). Allow the OS to fully update before installing FSX. Ensure that the basic FSX runs consistently well before installing any add-ons. Only install add-ons one at a time, running FSX thoroughly before each subsequent install to check everything is OK.

 

Unless you never connect your computer to the outside world, in a few years time support for Windows 7 will run out and you'll need to change to Windows 10 to stay secure. I was a big fan of Windows 7 but I now believe that Windows 10 is the better OS once you get used to it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for your response!

I just installed W10 from scratch and I'll stick with FSX SE.

 

I think the errors came from freeware addons or ezdok. Before that I had no issues at all...

 

It's a shame my Orbx package and Pmdg don't work in the Steam edition :(

 

Hopefully there will soon be an installer for Steam!

 

Again thank you

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Actually, all my Orbx and PMDG addons work without problems on my Windows 10, FSX-SE installation. So, no worry!

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi,

 

I too have been wondering about Windows 10. 

 

I currently run FS 2004 on 5 screens  in an enclosed attic cockpit and am about to upgrade equipment to change to FSX, primarily for the addon options, particularly scenery. I am currently on windows 7 pro (I have never used win 10) and have heard that FSX has windows 10 issues.

So is the consensus that I should not worry and should opt for windows 10?

 

I also am looking for advice on equipment upgrade - CPU options etc. Can I ask that type of question here or should I look for another thread? Sorry - relatively (in fact, very) new here.

 

By the way - is the FSX Gold Edition okay to use? It's a 2 disc set and is described as "includes Flight Simulator X deluxe and acceleration expansion pack" 

 

Thanks in advance for any advice

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Actually, all my Orbx and PMDG addons work without problems on my Windows 10, FSX-SE installation. So, no worry!

Really?? How did you do that?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would use this simple equation:

 

Win7 + FSX = Works guaranteed with all add-ons, no messing up of the system by unintended Windows updates.

 

Win10 + FSX = Works mostly well, but there are some add-ons that don't work well win Windows 10 (best example: Level-D 767). The update system of Windows 10 has been a cause of concern for system stability for some.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would use this simple equation:

 

Win7 + FSX = Works guaranteed with all add-ons, no messing up of the system by unintended Windows updates.

 

Win10 + FSX = Works mostly well, but there are some add-ons that don't work well win Windows 10 (best example: Level-D 767). The update system of Windows 10 has been a cause of concern for system stability for some.

Win 7 - you only need to look around the Win 7 forums to see that plenty of people are still having issues with updates. Sure, you can turn them off but you then run the risk of having an insecure system.

 

Win 10 - clean installs seem to have far fewer problems. If an update does cause problems, you can roll back and then hide it so it won't reinstall (see http://www.zdnet.com/article/microsoft-releases-tool-to-hide-or-block-unwanted-windows-10-updates/). Personally, I've had almost no problems with updates in Win 10 (and they were easily resolved) - far less than I had in Win 7.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, this morning I flew for the first time again. Clean install Windows 10, Clean install FSX SE, no addons whatsoever...

 

First no problems... everything worked great. Almost all sliders open and all shadows/bloom selected. Framerates at about 30-40.

 

After landing I switched airplanes. Still no problem. I slowly put the throttle forward and just when the planes starts moving...

 

CRASH TO DESKTOP  :shok:

 

Slowly but surely I'm losing my faith in FSX. Maybe it's time for P3D  :Hmmmph:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

on an open clean install of fsx-se on windows 10 i get 350fps. i have all my pmdg, orbx , dx 10 fixer and i have no problems at all. i fly x-plane most of the time, but i use fsx for my pmdg and a320x.i don't know why you would have problems.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I rebooted my system and did another flight... this time without problems. Fingers crossed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, this morning I flew for the first time again. Clean install Windows 10, Clean install FSX SE, no addons whatsoever...

 

First no problems... everything worked great. Almost all sliders open and all shadows/bloom selected. Framerates at about 30-40.

 

After landing I switched airplanes. Still no problem. I slowly put the throttle forward and just when the planes starts moving...

 

CRASH TO DESKTOP  :shok:

 

Slowly but surely I'm losing my faith in FSX. Maybe it's time for P3D  :Hmmmph:

 

 

 

At the time of the crash, I would go to Event Viewer and find out the reason/faulting module and error code that resulted from that event.   Often, there could be a fix for that, especially since you're running Win10.

 

Chris

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I already did that but wasnt very helpfull. Windows 7 is finally good to go after 3000 updates or so :D

Now let's install Fsx SE

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Update: Same problems in W7... back again to W10 for good. Now no problems anymore finally :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All will end up on windows 10 it`s the last OS Microsoft will release in the end this will be good for flight simmers no more upgrades to new platform, Devs can make products for w10 knowing there no patches needed for a new OS, And we can set about optimizing on one platform. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/17/2017 at 4:53 PM, vortex681 said:

Win 7 - you only need to look around the Win 7 forums to see that plenty of people are still having issues with updates. Sure, you can turn them off but you then run the risk of having an insecure system.

 

Win 10 - clean installs seem to have far fewer problems. If an update does cause problems, you can roll back and then hide it so it won't reinstall (see http://www.zdnet.com/article/microsoft-releases-tool-to-hide-or-block-unwanted-windows-10-updates/). Personally, I've had almost no problems with updates in Win 10 (and they were easily resolved) - far less than I had in Win 7.

Insecure system in what way? What if i have antivirus and anti malware software while browsing the internet?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, oscarduran10 said:

Insecure system in what way? What if i have antivirus and anti malware software while browsing the internet?

This quote from another site explains it better than I can:

"Question.

Are security updates really necessary? Can I just run Malwarebytes and stay secure that way? And if security updates are necessary, what then is the point of an antivirus?

Answer.

Yes, you should do both. Security updates and antivirus software do two similar yet different things.

Security updates fix exploits that are leveraged by specially crafting network communication or resources. In some cases, those shenanigans operate on a lower level than antivirus programs can deal with. Installing updates stops any such bad code from running on your machine. They're important for any computer accessible to any network and any computers that handle untrusted resources.

Antivirus programs stop bad things from running and search for bad files on the computer. They may or may not be able to see/block system-level exploits, but they can definitely look for and torch stuff like sketchy programs downloaded from the Internet. That's important for any home user that gets files from outside sources.

Even if they were more similar, defense in depth says that you should have multiple layers of security."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, vortex681 said:

This quote from another site explains it better than I can:

"Question.

Are security updates really necessary? Can I just run Malwarebytes and stay secure that way? And if security updates are necessary, what then is the point of an antivirus?

Answer.

Yes, you should do both. Security updates and antivirus software do two similar yet different things.

Security updates fix exploits that are leveraged by specially crafting network communication or resources. In some cases, those shenanigans operate on a lower level than antivirus programs can deal with. Installing updates stops any such bad code from running on your machine. They're important for any computer accessible to any network and any computers that handle untrusted resources.

Antivirus programs stop bad things from running and search for bad files on the computer. They may or may not be able to see/block system-level exploits, but they can definitely look for and torch stuff like sketchy programs downloaded from the Internet. That's important for any home user that gets files from outside sources.

Even if they were more similar, defense in depth says that you should have multiple layers of security."

Now what if lets say my system is breached im sure a system wipe and reinstall of the os would fix the problem no?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, oscarduran10 said:

Now what if lets say my system is breached im sure a system wipe and reinstall of the os would fix the problem no?

Probably, but why would you want to go through that? Windows 7 will be updated for a few more years then you're on your own as far as fixing vulnerabilities goes. Plus, any games/sims that use DX12 will have to have Windows 10 so why not go for it now?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, vortex681 said:

Probably, but why would you want to go through that? Windows 7 will be updated for a few more years then you're on your own as far as fixing vulnerabilities goes. Plus, any games/sims that use DX12 will have to have Windows 10 so why not go for it now?

Cuz fsx is faster on a non updated windows 7. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, oscarduran10 said:

Cuz fsx is faster on a non updated windows 7. 

Curious observation... how do you know this?

Greg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I updated my Windows 7 laptop to Windows 10. I'm running P3D & 3x versions of FS2004, with pedals & a yoke,with the UAC setting turned right down & running as Admin.

I feel that the sims run slightly faster & I have never had any issues at all, ever. I prefer an updated OS with the latest security & other updates all in place.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now