Sign in to follow this  
G-YMML1

ORBX PNW effect on VAS

Hello,

Let's say I have FTG/FTV/OpenLC USA combo and I'm pretty much satisfied with VAS performance in FSDT CYVR and T2G KSEA, what will be VAS effect if I add FTX PNW on a top of that sandwich? Will this area be still flyable on heavy jets with IFR conditions or I will end with OOM inevitably ?

You'll OOM in no time.

Golden rule generally is to never use full-fat ORBX regions with large airports and a PMDG aircraft. There is just way too much to cope with.

You'll OOM in no time.  Golden rule.  Never use full-fat ORBX regions with large airports and a PMDG aircraft

So, simply speaking, the Regions are for VFR folks mostly, correct? IFR people should limit themselves with FTG/FTV stuff.

So, simply speaking, the Regions are for VFR folks mostly, correct? IFR people should limit themselves with FTG/FTV stuff.

Generally, yes, that works. It's all a bit of a balance really. What you've correctly described above is exactly what I do. VFR in full fat regions, but as the detailed scnery is not really that important when you are airliner flying, keep to the more generic scenery layering with FTX Global/Vector/LC

• Upvote 1

It really depends on the a/c not whether it's IFR or VFR. I can fly the Cessna 310 in that area and get an OOM. The Baron - all good. If you have a relatively complex a/c you chances of getting an OOM increase.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

I spent a month tweaking FTX on a new build and I often run multiple regions at once with no OOMS. LOD set at 4.5, 6.5 will kill it for sure.

FTX Global + Vector

All LC + regions

Every airport that has a chart available.

PMDG 737 + 777.

In fact I ONLY fly between OrbX airports these days, the defaults are just too sparse, even with Rex HD Airports.

Whilst testing I frequently overloaded my system deliberately to see what would break it and give me OOMS. Even whilst loading every OrbX product up at once (over 100) out of 15 flights got 5 FSUIPC beep warnings and 3 OOMS. That was in very bad AS2016 thunderstorm landings (they always push it up and over).

In fact OOMS are so rare I dont even take them into account when choosing how and where I want to fly. I DO use Scenery Config Manager religiously as a good habit though, with well defined groups for normal (non-stress testing) flying.

I only fly real world times so a typical day flight would be FTX G+V all US regions activated and all airports too, unless Im only planning to do circuits or stay in one region, then just that region plus all airports etc.

Night time would be all Oceania activated at once, or one region (Australia/NZ N+S/AYPY/NSTU) plus all airports if Im sight seeing one area.

If anyone actually wants me to test an airplane in a particular region/airport combo I'd be glad to do it and report back on my exact VAS usage. My personal config/setup/tweaking is key here of course, but even with a fast machine we are all still in the same boat with VAS, right?

I have Vector secondary and tertiary roads OFF and all airports have 3D grass turned off. That didnt give me OOMS just fps killer.

EDIT:

In fact this afternoon I'm going to load up every US OrbX product I own at once and make a note of the VAS during arrival/depart and cruise.

Leg 1)

KTVL (California both regions) - KSFF(Rockies both regions)

Load PMDG 737-700 CD KDAB Active

1454948 (Windowed)

13800028 (Full Screen)

Move to KTVL gate

1023752 (Cold Dark)

981948 (Ready to taxi)

R18 Hold

FMG @ 26000

GASSI @ 37000

Russell Gough

Daytona Beach/London

FL/UK

I must have reached the edit limit on the above post. Had to quit test at GASSI as needed PC for my work. Reloaded later at GASSI and VAS remaining was at 700000. Surprised me as I expected it to be higher after a reload. Kinda made the whole flight test no longer scientific so will have to redo it :(

Will be interesting to see if results from KTVL to GASSI are similar as AS2016 will be injecting different weather. Will edit this post once with full results as dont want to keep bumping it, sorry.

Russell Gough

Daytona Beach/London

FL/UK

The results from repeating whole flight.

procedure first is always to load pre-saved C&D aircraft on active runway KDAB (limited scenery so no building crash mishaps) then move to airport of choice.

Leg 1)

KTVL (California both regions) - KSFF(Rockies both regions)

(All other US regions were activated but not passed over)

All VAS amounts are REMAINING as logged and shown by FSUIPC in active window.

Load PMDG 737-700 CD KDAB Active

1642824 (Windowed)

1640776 (Full Screen)

Move to KTVL gate

1123988 (Cold Dark)

1031736 (Ready to taxi)

R18 Hold

FMG @ 26000

GASSI @ 37000

BLUNT (TOD)

HANSN

RWY 22R

Had intended to taxi to gates and give reading there and continue to PNW then Alaska but plane sank into the snow after landing (?!) so couldn't get off the runway.

FSX AS2016 Real Time PMDG 737-700 FTX Global + Vector All OrbX US LC plus all regions (plus Tongas Fjords).

As well as KTVL and KSFF I had another 35 OrbX US Payware airports activated (although dont believe I passed near any during flight)

Russell Gough

Daytona Beach/London

FL/UK