Sign in to follow this  
HighBypass

FSX:SE two nvidia GTX960's better than one?

Sorry if the question's been brought up before, my search-fu is not strong & didn't appear to give me the answer.

So, single monitor setup, no additional screens to run.

If I was to stick another GTX960 in my PC (the MB supports two gfx cards) would FSX notice the benefit? Would it just be bragging rights to me? Would it make FSX worse?

FYI the card would be FREE.  :wink:

i7 950 CPU at 3GHz

24Gb RAM

2Gb GTX 960

Win7 64bit Ultimate.

Cheers.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

With FSX, GPU power is mostly a waste unless you run aggressive AA settings like SSGA. Otherwise your money is far better used to save up for a CPU upgrade (and anything that goes along with it.)

To the best of my knowledge, FSX is not SLI capable and one can experience a little bit of degradation running it as such. I'm pretty sure the same is true with the Steam version, but not certain.

As someone above said, FSX is CPU bound anyway, rather than GPU.

I Googled "FSX SLI" and came up with numerous posts on the subject.

Best wishes.

With FSX, GPU power is mostly a waste unless you run aggressive AA settings like SSGA. Otherwise your money is far better used to save up for a CPU upgrade (and anything that goes along with it.)

Let's see what Phil Taylor has to say.

The main issue is FSX is CPU bound so the extra GPU doesn’t provide any benefit until fill rate, as determined by resolution and AA settings, drive past the CPU-boundness.

So once you have a GPU with enough fill rate, you will drive past FSX's CPU-boundness and make more use of your GPU.

The OP's card has way more fill rate than the 8800 GTX in SLI mentioned in the above article, so having SLI will show some benefit. Even Phil stated that the 8800 GTX in SLI that was tested almost 10 years ago had enough fill rate to drive past FSX's CPU-boundness.

So if a couple of 8800 GTXs in SLI from 10 years ago had enough power to overcome FSX's CPU boundness, surely a modern GTX 960 in SLI would have no trouble. 

Let's see what Phil Taylor has to say.

So once you have a GPU with enough fill rate, you will drive past FSX's CPU-boundness and make more use of your GPU.

The OP's card has way more fill rate than the 8800 GTX in SLI mentioned in the above article, so having SLI will show some benefit. Even Phil stated that the 8800 GTX in SLI that was tested almost 10 years ago had enough fill rate to drive past FSX's CPU-boundness.

So if a couple of 8800 GTXs in SLI from 10 years ago had enough power to overcome FSX's CPU boundness, surely a modern GTX 960 in SLI would have no trouble. 

Sorry but you completely misunderstand what Phil Taylor wrote. He actually confirms exactly what I just said. GPU power makes no difference to FSX unless you crank up AA or resolution settings. Like I said, unless you plan on using very aggressive AA settings like 32xS + 8x SSGA the GPU will *not* make a difference in FSX. It doesn't mean that using those settings somehow makes FSX run faster.