Sign in to follow this  
speedbird1229

Honest opinions please - buy 747 v3 for FSX or migrate to P3D?

6 hours ago, zmak said:

Dads not gonna be happy when he finds you hacked into his Avsim account 😱

Probably 200% faster than what you experienced with V4.2.  With shadows and dynamic lighting in full affect.  Yeah, all lights on.

18 minutes ago, FunknNasty said:

Probably 200% faster than what you experienced with V4.2.  With shadows and dynamic lighting in full affect.  Yeah, all lights on.

me ? I never had V4.2

ZORAN

14 hours ago, zmak said:

50 % + fps gain? are you sure? 

Absolutely yes, on my rig. My conjecture is that P3D at 64-bit can now use all of the bandwidth of the PCIe bus between cpu and gpu - bandwidth that was lying largely untapped in 32-bit FSX. Plus no memory issues - ever.

That, plus the clear performance and efficiency improvements with Direct X 11. This whole move from FSX to PSD v4.3 has been extraordinary.

1 hour ago, PopsBellNC said:

Absolutely yes, on my rig. My conjecture is that P3D at 64-bit can now use all of the bandwidth of the PCIe bus between cpu and gpu - bandwidth that was lying largely untapped in 32-bit FSX. Plus no memory issues - ever.

That, plus the clear performance and efficiency improvements with Direct X 11. This whole move from FSX to PSD v4.3 has been extraordinary.

Interesting. I googled PCLe P3D and not much there. End of the day 64 bit really only offers OOM advantage. Punters suggesting there is a huge fps bonus are dreaming a bit .

Edited by zmak

ZORAN

2 hours ago, zmak said:

Punters suggesting there is a huge fps bonus are dreaming a bit .

At least taken with a grain of salt.  There are significant performance improvements but this has more to do with P3D using more and more of the GPU each minor revision and the improvements in using threaded processes. Don't discount the 64b advantages, most significantly in my mind is the ability to use most of the 11GB of VRAM available in the 1080Ti... scenery detail is unlike anything ever seen in FSX. So there is more to it than simply an OOM solution.

• Upvote 1

Dan Downs KCRP

4 hours ago, downscc said:

At least taken with a grain of salt.  There are significant performance improvements but this has more to do with P3D using more and more of the GPU each minor revision and the improvements in using threaded processes. Don't discount the 64b advantages, most significantly in my mind is the ability to use most of the 11GB of VRAM available in the 1080Ti... scenery detail is unlike anything ever seen in FSX. So there is more to it than simply an OOM solution.

I agree, having the latest hardware will give it a boost. However having a 8700k overclocked to 5.1 ghz on fsx se will give that a boost as well. I'm not anti P3D as I'm switching soon to 64 bit but not sure which way. However people saying they get a huge fps boost when switching with the SAME hardware doesn't really add up especially with so many struggling with stutters etc even with a 1080 

I use fsx se with steves dx10 fixer which also switches over  more of the load to the GPU

Edited by zmak

ZORAN

7 hours ago, zmak said:

Interesting. I googled PCLe P3D and not much there. End of the day 64 bit really only offers OOM advantage. Punters suggesting there is a huge fps bonus are dreaming a bit .

The key, Zmack, is that P3D takes better advantage of your existing hardware. Heck, I built my rig in 2010(!) The only updates I've made since 2010 (and all of them pre P3D 4.3) were a jump from 6GB ram to 12 GB ram (Triple Channel on the ancient, but outstanding, i7-920 D0 stepping CPU, which accounts for the strange ram multiples), addition of a 500GB Samsung 850 EVO SSD and finally a GeForce GTX1050Ti gpu. Eight years, and that's it. With these hardware improvements, even FSX ran a bit better (primarily due to the SSD, IMHO, as the former HDD was a true bottleneck).

But moving to P3D 4.3, with this exact same setup has been a true revelation - it is no dream - it is reality. For example, with FSX, at the gate at KSFO (Flightbeam), a PMDG 747-400ER (Qantas) and ASF16 live weather, I'd get between 15-24fps from the flight deck, maybe 30fps from exterior spot view in FSX.

But, with the exact same hardware and OS (WIN 7 Ultimate), on P3D v4.3 it's 28-34 fps from the flight deck - and now there are lighting/shadows on the flight deck and zero stuttering. And it only gets better when in the air. 😎

These are facts - not a dream. It's simple - Lockheed has improved the sim to take advantage of the hardware. It is all now in much better 'balance'. And one heck of a lot of fun! Bottom-line, to the original poster, make the move to Lockheed's P3D v4.3 and do not look back. 😀

Well.. all this talk of the new and improved P3Dv4.3 sounds nifty and all but I really do not feel compelled to reinstall the [at least] 25 addons I own AGAIN.

Michael Chandler

OP has added new meaning to procrastinate ... 6 months now 😂

• Like 2

ZORAN

It's the reports of slow loading of autogen and photoscenery that concern me with P3D v4.3. I hope that LM get that one resolved quickly.

• Like 1

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

10 hours ago, zmak said:

I'm not anti P3D as I'm switching soon to 64 bit but not sure which way.

When you do make the switch, and you if you go P3D vs the other 64bit sim(s) available, I hope you come back to this thread and let us know if you either believe or not believe the hype is justified. :wink:

I bet the 1st time you pull into any Flightbeam airport gate at night and see the cockpit interior progressively illuminate with the gate floodlights as you get closer, then switch to an outside view to see the same happening the to fuse of your aircraft, 1st the front then the rest as you taxi in...and only on the side the lights are on (if you're in a corner gate where the is lighting only on one side)...then see the lights of the service vehicles light up your fuse as they approach, you'll quietly note to yourself "Wow...I guess I have been missing a few things that FSX could never give me"  

Oh and one thing that stuck me as funny: All these years with GSX pushback, I never payed heed to flipping on the taxi lights (esp the nose taxi light) when the ground crew was disconnecting the towbar....do that in P3d and you'll see them almost burst into flames! LOL.  I hope Umberto (and FSDT) incorporates logic into his next update of GSX to both scold the flightcrew on the intercom if they do that, and have a custom animation of the groundcrew shielding their eyes and flipping the pilots the international sign of good will.🤣

P3D and 64bit give you so much more than better performance (and I'm not talking about just chasing FPS), its not even worth trying to describe it to anyone who's not experienced it first hand.  The whole ambiance of the simming experience is worth every penny I've spent on upgrading my system to handle it all (well..."all" is subjective as I don't have my sliders max'd and P3d will only give us more as time progresses...when is the next FSX update scheduled again?...I can't remember when ACE Studios said they were coming out with the next major update to FSX 🙄).

All kidding aside, I'm hoping you'll make the switch soon and have a similar positive experience as most have had (remember the one's who've had P3d up and running with no issues typically don't post in forums...they are too busy having fun with the sim...its the one's who have system issues that report here for the most part..trying to resolve their issues and baffled as to some of us seem to run P3d flawlessly).

Switching to P3D 64 bit (or any 64bit sim) should be a goal for any simmer who wants a better simming experience...also remember that its not just us end-users who benefit from the 64bit platform, the developers also are reaping the benefits and pass that to us in the form of better products, not being hamstringed by 32bit architecture any longer.  I'm sure you've noticed the trend of some (quickly becoming most) good devs not trying to support both platforms anymore?  There is a good reason for that, from a design, support and financial standpoint.  If a dev is willing to lose some potential revenue by only supporting a 64bit platform, knowing there is still a customer base for the old platform, what can we assume from that decision? (and its NOT because they are jerks and won't support my decades-old, never-to-be-updated-again sim) (hint: they see the future and where its going....and if they don't, they wont be in business very long.  It might be a tough decision, but its the right one I feel)  

To the OP of this thread: MIGRATE...do not buy another FSX-only product.  That is my honest opinion (if that hasn't been painfully obvious in my long-winded speech above, hehe)

Edited by Steve Dra
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Regards,
Steve Dra
Get my paints for MSFS planes at flightsim.to here, and iFly 737s here
Download my FSX, P3D paints at Avsim by clicking here

9Slp0L.jpg 

I moved from fsx to xp10, then xp11 and now finally to p3d 4.3... And I'm absolutely loving it.. But don't ever stop with stock p3d.. U must get PTA or even better tomato shade.. Crank up the reflections.. And oh boy does it look lip smacking good.. With the new 4.3, dynamic lighting performance is improved.. So I'm doing a lot of night flights now as well.. So do yourself a favor and get rid of fsx.. You will thank us later.. 

• Like 1

Vinod Kumar

i9 10900K 5.3 Ghz, RTX 3090, 32GB RAM, Win 10 Pro.

Alpha-Yoke, Bravo-Throttles, ThrustMaster-Sidestick & Quadrant, TM-Rudder, LG 32" 1080p.

I also fly With p3dv4.3 and only nightflights.

Love everybit of it and i can give you the advice to make the switch.

Orbx trueEarth,global,vector,Eu,airports

Pmdg all aircraft

Active sky

And all sliders allmost max.

Great performance and this on a 3 year old beast.

And a good program for more performance,

Project lasso, install this one and start your Simulator......then select your p3d or xplane .exe in the project lasso screen and give it priority and all cores and make sure that your pc will go in performance mode as soon you doubleclick your fsim icon.

This gives you a lot more sim power😍

Good luck and let us know

Edited by oranjeman
  • Upvote 1

Marcel van der biezen

Did i just forgot to say that stability improved like no other and that after i switched to p3d never had to install everything again because fsx so now and then was messing whit its own files?

Btw i fly at 4k resolution😍

Edited by oranjeman

Marcel van der biezen