Sign in to follow this  
ark

L35 SPD Hold

Someone mentioned the PID needs to be adjusted. I agree since the trim limit is now only 10 degrees. This causes the trim wheel to move further. The new trim limit was changed because that is the actual limit and fixed the issue where some joysticks would cause extreme nose up or down since FSX buttons with repeat does not actually work as well as a axis control. 

And yes sometime when you fix 1 thing you create another issue. So i think raising the max pitch and acceleration would fix the issue. 

Just did a quick test and it seems to be working well. Since the trim is 1/3 less we need to increase the pitch limit and speed.

max_pitch=20.0

max_pitch_acceleration=2.0

Please confirm this new setting so i can release a new patch soon!

Hi Folks,

Now that's what I'm talk'n about - Flysimware wins the gold star for customer support - impressive - and very much appreciated... I also appreciate the fact that you pop in here once in a while and interact with your customers... You certainly make it easy to buy your products...

I'll test this weekend when I get home and I'll also test Bjoern's contribution as well - after I shovel out the 2 1/2 feet of snow that fell the other day... Busy weekend ahead...

Regards,
Scott

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

Flysimware, thanks for looking into this, we appreciate the support you guys provide to your products!  

Cheers

Martin

Hi Folks,

I would be interested in hearing if the aircraft.cfg changes that FSW suggested above have solved the L35 v2.8 SPD Hold problem for you. The changes did not help me, SPD Hold still hunts back and forth in pitch quite a bit (unless I trim up the a/c very carefully before invoking SPD Hold), but I may have some kind of a local problem for some reason. So hearing the changes did help others will tell me I need to dig into my system to figure out why I'm still having a SPD Hold problem.

Thx,

Al

Al, just tested with those new values for pitch and like you mine did the same thing and would hunt for the selected speed once clicking the SPD hold button. I suspect what one needs to do is have a good stable climb and speed established before hitting the SPD hold, hitting it soon after take off doesn't allow it to capture it very well. Will keep trying.

Cheers

Martin

Hi Folks,

Same thing - now it might be realistic but if you're very careful it's usable - however - start playing with power settings or not trimmed for the climb - it's a real roller coaster...

Regards,

Scott

FWIW: What has helped me is to set a VS that will allow the Lear to accelerate at a moderate rate, then I increase VS as the desired speed gets closer, and then I hit SPD. It works a treat for me while doing that. 

Anyway, some of you may give that a try and see if that helps. :-)

Hi Bjoern,

LOL - plan on loading them tonight and giving them a try...

:biggrin:

Thanks for your efforts...

Regards,

Scott

Just climbed to FL41 using the new values for pitch posted above and doing what rightseat suggested and it worked like a charm. Climbed out at 4,000fpm at 250knts using VS and controlling the power at around 84%N1,  once the climb and speed were established I hit SPD and it took me to FL41 without any problems. So bottom line get established on a realistic rate of climb and power profile first before hitting SPD and it should work fine.

Bjoern, will also give your mods a test, thanks so much for providing them.

Cheers

Martin

3 hours ago, scottb613 said:

Hi Folks,

Same thing - now it might be realistic but if you're very careful it's usable - however - start playing with power settings or not trimmed for the climb - it's a real roller coaster...

Regards,

Scott

Trimming very carefully before invoking SPD Hold always has made things more manageable,  a friend of mine has taken that approach with v2.8 from the start. Whether that is more realistic or not I don't know. That was clearly not the case with v2.7.  One thing I happened to notice by accident is that under manual trim control the needle in the elevator trim gauge moves at least twice as fast in v2.7 than it does in v2.8 even though I made the aircraft.cfg files identical with trim limit: (10), max_pitch (20) and max_pitch_acceleration(2). The manual trim is controlled by a button on my yoke through FSUIPC, and so for example, if I hold it down it takes more than twice as long for the needle to move from the 12 o'clock position to the 9 o'clock position in v2.8 than it does in v2.7.  So the question is, if I've changed nothing in FSUIPC and the v2.7 and v2.8 aircraft.cfg files are essentially identical, why should the trim needle behave so differently between the versions?

I'm interested in this because in watching SPD Hold in v2.8, it seems the trim just can't catch up to what the flight director is calling for in pitch. By the time the a/c has reached what the flight director WAS calling for in pitch, the flight director has moved to a MUCH different place pitch-wise and so the flight director/trim 'chase' goes on and on in pitch. This is a typical underdamped feedback control response. As has been mentioned, if the a/c is carefully trimmed for the desired speed before invoking SPD hold, the 'problem' is not as bad. However, v2.7 is much more forgiving in this regard and so I wonder if this is related to what seems to be a much faster trim response in v2.7.  Of course it could be the trim speed difference I see between the versions is unique to my system for some reason, in any case the mystery continues.....

I appreciate everyone's feedback on this issue.

Thx,

Al

Hi Bjoern,

Dang - I got pulled away before I had a chance to finish setting up and testing your mod - I did read the extremely impressive included documentation - and if the mod is half as good as the documentation we'll be in GREAT shape... Flight Sim is only a weekend thing for me - so it's high on my list to finish as soon as I am able...

Regards,
Scott  

Join the club. Since reducing flight simming to a weekend activity, I get next to nothing done. Anybody got an address of a good cloning lab?

• Upvote 1

7950X3D + 6900 XT + 64 GB + Linux | 4800H + RTX2060 + 32 GB + Linux
My add-ons from my FS9/FSX days