perryfincher

PMDG & FSX Steam

Recommended Posts

I just removed all of my old FSX and moved to FSX Steam.

Will the legacy aircraft, MD-11, 744, and etc work in FSX Steam.

Am pretty sure that the NGX, 777, and new 744V3 will.

Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Thinking about doing this too. Is there a guide somewhere on how to install and save all Orbx scenery, airports, and aircraft in the hangar; and what in the old FSX will work in SE?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Most stuff for FSX (either the old boxed or the download version) will work in FSX-SE, in fact, the only thing I've not been able to get working in FSX-SE is Ultimate Terrain Europe, everything else I've ever bought for the old FSX works just fine in the Steam version (and that's a lot of stuff). Most of the time it is just a case of telling stuff where FSX-SE and its config file is located, many installers find that automatically (even old ones which were created before the Steam version of FS existed). what can be a pain in the behind though, is if you have any remnants of your old install still kicking around (which can sometimes confuse some older installers) although for one or two things you actually do need to have an old FSX folder in your user account (along with your FSX-SE one) in order for older things to install, since the installation process will look for that folder sometimes. Occasionally when that occurs, you might have to manually alter the path in a config file to get things to work right, but that is actually a fairly common sense thing to have to do, so it hardly requires rocket science to figure that out and a quick google search will usually throw up a solution if anything isn't obvious.

The PMDG NGX does indeed work in the Steam version, as does the new PMDG 747. As noted, pretty much every aeroplane and every add-on I have for the old version of FSX works just fine in the Steam version, however, one thing I did find is that, because it is much better to run FSX-SE in DX10, particularly for things like the FSL A320, one or two older add-ons don't display correctly in DX10 unless you install Steve's DX10 Fixer (which you should, since it isn't too expensive and allows you to have cloud shadows on your terrain). Two specific older FSX add-ons which I found did not display correctly without the DX10 Fixer, were Night Environment and Ultimate Traffic, but with the fixer installed, they exhibit no problems. The only add-on I found was a bit of a ball ache to get working in FSX-SE, was Revolution X autogen for the UK ( it took me a few hours of messing about with scenery library paths and names to get it to display correctly with  Photorealistic terrain of the UK, but I got it going in the end).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The only thing I miss a lot when changing to FSX:SE is AES. Yes I have GSX but there are still many airports do not have default jetway or SODE, without AES they are static.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Chock said:

 the only thing I've not been able to get working in FSX-SE is Ultimate Terrain Europe,

 

How come, if I may ask? There are new installers issued after the release of FSX-SE that I think you'd be allowed to download without purchasing a new license. I've used UTX Europe (and US) and it worked perfectly

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It won't let me point it at the correct config file in the manager.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The NGX, 777 and new 747 all have installers that recognize Steam.

If you have a fresh, single install of FSX Steam most older addons should work.  If you have a dual Box & Steam install many older addons will not work.  If you used to have FSX Box on your machine and uninstalled it, your registry may still have remnants of the older FSX.  That will cause issues too.

Search this forum and the FSX forum for instructions on installing the three legacy simconnects.   You need to do this to avoid issues.

FS Recorder's current version won't work in Steam, but many people report success using the older, 1.331 version.

Mike

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am using steam too, but the only plane I have problems with is the beautiful PMDG MD 11.

I attach here a screenshot about the panel. Can someone of you help me with a solution? Flying this machine under FSX the problem is that the ailerons dont come up, but are working in the flight!! Under steam they show expanding.

But my mean problem is this panel under steam!

Schermopname (2).png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/28/2017 at 4:55 AM, csr said:

I am using steam too, but the only plane I have problems with is the beautiful PMDG MD 11.

I attach here a screenshot about the panel. Can someone of you help me with a solution? Flying this machine under FSX the problem is that the ailerons dont come up, but are working in the flight!! Under steam they show expanding.

But my mean problem is this panel under steam!

Schermopname (2).png

Hi CSR,

I don't really understand the issue with the ailerons.  Looking at your screen shot, it looks more like you have not started up and configured the aircraft correctly.  Usually if there is a problem with the Steam installation, the aircraft will be completely dead. 

So a few questions:

Have you completed Tutorial 1? 

How are you loading the MD-11? What panel state are you using?

Mike

PS: PMDG wants you to sign your full name in its forums.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi,

BTW I believed you are using widescreen, go into aircraft.cfg and change panel=widescreen to make the gauges fit the cockpit.
Cheers,

Hoang Le

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2-3-2017 at 4:13 PM, Mike777 said:

Hi CSR,

I don't really understand the issue with the ailerons.  Looking at your screen shot, it looks more like you have not started up and configured the aircraft correctly.  Usually if there is a problem with the Steam installation, the aircraft will be completely dead. 

So a few questions:

Have you completed Tutorial 1? 

How are you loading the MD-11? What panel state are you using?

Mike

PS: PMDG wants you to sign your full name in its forums.

 

Hello Mike,

You are right, I did not start up in the right way, so I configured better, but still I get the problems with the yaw dampers and the LSAS, they still give FAIL and on the PFD the HDG, ATT and ALT fail to work. This happens under Steam. I also started up with the panel state on Short round, but the same result.

When going to my MD11 under FSX this problem is not with panel state Short round.

Under Steam the ailerons react on the movement of the Yoke, under FXS no move even after calibration.

So under Steam I have problems with the MD11.

The 747-400 under Steam works fine as it does under FSX.

Thanks for your help so far,

Cees 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2-3-2017 at 5:11 PM, Hoang Le said:

Hi,

BTW I believed you are using widescreen, go into aircraft.cfg and change panel=widescreen to make the gauges fit the cockpit.
Cheers,

Hoang Le

 

Hi Hoang Le,

I changed from widescreen, still the same problems, as you may see the answer I gave to Mike. Thanks for your reaction,

Cees

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4-3-2017 at 1:09 PM, csr said:

Hello Mike,

You are right, I did not start up in the right way, so I configured better, but still I get the problems with the yaw dampers and the LSAS, they still give FAIL and on the PFD the HDG, ATT and ALT fail to work. This happens under Steam. I also started up with the panel state on Short round, but the same result.

When going to my MD11 under FSX this problem is not with panel state Short round.

Under Steam the ailerons react on the movement of the Yoke, under FXS no move even after calibration.

So under Steam I have problems with the MD11.

The 747-400 under Steam works fine as it does under FSX.

Thanks for your help so far,

Cees 

Hello Mike,

I uninstalled, cleaned and reinstalled the MD11 under Steam and its now working fine!

Under FSX there is still the problem with the ailerons, no visible movements, but it does not influence the flights.

Thanks very much.

Cees

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now