pic400

PMDG 747-400 V3

Recommended Posts

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

7 minutes ago, pic400 said:

Is it true that PMDG 747-400 V3 is not compatible with Windows 7?

With all due respect, that is bull.

Compatible it is.

Who made you think this bull?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Copied and pasted from PMDG website:

Windows: Windows 10 64-bit (older OSes such as Windows XP may work, but we cannot guarantee compatibility or support)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If I remember correctly, Windows 7 was fine. Windows 8 was the problem one that no support was being provided for. You can certainly try it on 8 if you want, but you do so at your own risk.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Capt Kevin

I have Windows 7, how correctly do U remember that Win 7 was fine? I have been waiting for V3 for a long time. Thanks for your time,

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I found this:

Also in the intro manual, which you won't have access to until you buy the plane, it does say Windows 8 and 8.1 aren't supported. The intro manual also mentions a file fix for those using Windows 7, so I presume Windows 7 is still being supported.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I run the B744 V3 on W7 64 bit.  Didn't know there was ever an issue.  Don't want Windows 10.  Didn't have to configure or add any file either.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Orlaam said:

Didn't have to configure or add any file either.

Intro manual mentions the UIAutomationCore.dll file, which is the one I was referring to. Apparently the one that came with Windows 7 was buggy, so there was a link in the intro manual to download it. The intro manual didn't say it was required, but "highly recommended."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Orlaam said:

I run the B744 V3 on W7 64 bit.  Didn't know there was ever an issue.  Don't want Windows 10.  Didn't have to configure or add any file either.

 

Concurr and agree on all points, brother.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Captain Kevin said:

Intro manual mentions the UIAutomationCore.dll file, which is the one I was referring to. Apparently the one that came with Windows 7 was buggy, so there was a link in the intro manual to download it. The intro manual didn't say it was required, but "highly recommended."

Oh maybe because it says "not require if using FSX:SE", which I am.  So maybe it's FSX boxed and P3D thing?  Makes mention if issues with repeated menu use on long flight.  IDK.  My routes are short, around 1 to 4 hours max.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Orlaam said:

Oh maybe because it says "not require if using FSX:SE", which I am.  So maybe it's FSX boxed and P3D thing?  Makes mention if issues with repeated menu use on long flight.  IDK.  My routes are short, around 1 to 4 hours max.

Yeah, I never updated that file, but that's probably because I'm using Windows 10 on this laptop, and it makes no mention of this being necessary for Windows 10.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, lasnubes said:

FWIW I run all my PMDG products on W7 x64.  Works for me- YMMV.

 

This ^

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In my opinion, after using W10 for a year, W7 is much better OS because it simply works and is not intrusive.  I'll stick with W10 on all my new builds but I'm not upgrading my W7 box.  W10 keeps throwing me curves, like last week all my document disappeared and I had to kill their intrusive OneDrive and restore my files from a previous save.  This was hard to find because I never use OneDrive, didn't know what it was, and now that I know I don't want it but you can't delete it from W10. Just typing this is getting me angry again so there's my two cents.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, downscc said:

In my opinion, after using W10 for a year, W7 is much better OS because it simply works and is not intrusive.  I'll stick with W10 on all my new builds but I'm not upgrading my W7 box.  W10 keeps throwing me curves, like last week all my document disappeared and I had to kill their intrusive OneDrive and restore my files from a previous save.  This was hard to find because I never use OneDrive, didn't know what it was, and now that I know I don't want it but you can't delete it from W10. Just typing this is getting me angry again so there's my two cents.

If I had the option, I wouldn't be using Windows 10. Unfortunately, buying a new laptop end of 2015 didn't really give me that option. I had actually tried to install Windows 7, but that attempt failed miserably, and after multiple attempts, I finally gave up. I still have the hard drive that has it (I bought it, so if anything went wrong, I'd still have the original hard drive that came with the laptop), but the problem is it isn't recognizing any of the drivers, so I can't do anything with it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, downscc said:

In my opinion, after using W10 for a year, W7 is much better OS because it simply works and is not intrusive.  I'll stick with W10 on all my new builds but I'm not upgrading my W7 box.  W10 keeps throwing me curves, like last week all my document disappeared and I had to kill their intrusive OneDrive and restore my files from a previous save.  This was hard to find because I never use OneDrive, didn't know what it was, and now that I know I don't want it but you can't delete it from W10. Just typing this is getting me angry again so there's my two cents.

Dan, there's a nifty little tool you can find via Google: 'Hide One-Drive from Windows Explorer' which should calm you down a bit 😀

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, downscc said:

This was hard to find because I never use OneDrive, didn't know what it was, and now that I know I don't want it but you can't delete it from W10.

Stupid question, but what's preventing you from deleting it. I seem to have managed to do so just fine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Captain Kevin said:

Stupid question, but what's preventing you from deleting it. I seem to have managed to do so just fine.

You can delete the MicrosoftOneDrive from the control panel programs list, which I did as soon as I suspected it of my problems, but it still shows up in the path for all documents.  For example, C:\Users\myusername\OneDrive\Documents. PITA.

There is a registry hack to remove it from Explorer but I don't know the outcome, do I lose \Documents?

I discovered this because a couple of days ago both FSX and P3D had "forgotten" what flights/scenarios I had flagged as favorites. Gone.  Turned out something changed the path for my documents so everything that points to documents, like the simulators, were no longer pointing to my documents but a new OneDrive folder. I had to restore those files from a backup, and then I started googling OneDrive.  As far as I can tell, Microsoft wants us to store all our stuff on their servers.... yeah, right. Like that is going to happen.

Still resenting this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, downscc said:

You can delete the MicrosoftOneDrive from the control panel programs list, which I did as soon as I suspected it of my problems, but it still shows up in the path for all documents.  For example, C:\Users\myusername\OneDrive\Documents. PITA.

There is a registry hack to remove it from Explorer but I don't know the outcome, do I lose \Documents?

I discovered this because a couple of days ago both FSX and P3D had "forgotten" what flights/scenarios I had flagged as favorites. Gone.  Turned out something changed the path for my documents so everything that points to documents, like the simulators, were no longer pointing to my documents but a new OneDrive folder. I had to restore those files from a backup, and then I started googling OneDrive.  As far as I can tell, Microsoft wants us to store all our stuff on their servers.... yeah, right. Like that is going to happen.

Still resenting this.

Copy. I just ended up deleting it, as there was nothing in it. My documents folder is still there as far as I can tell. Looks like the OneDrive in Explorer is just a shortcut to that OneDrive folder. I keep clicking on it, and it's saying it can't find the OneDrive folder. Rightfully so since I deleted it.

From what I read, that registry hack doesn't actually delete OneDrive, it just hides that shortcut from Explorer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now