Sign in to follow this  
Ray Proudfoot

Why is P3D handling VAS so poorly?

3 minutes ago, tooting said:

I can confirm the new drivers leak like hell using the the fsl out of Gatwick but Ironically dont leak going in... You couldn't make it up.

I am not a technical guy , but to me that sounds impossible.

A scenery uses X mb and not Y mb flying towards-over it and Z mb flying over-away from it seems to me.

There are some guys around here who have good technical knowledge that might explain this..

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

2 hours ago, Afterburner said:

I'm glad to hear that the combination of rebuilding the p3d.cfg and running the 376.33 driver has improved your VAS usage.

I can say that I have seen many instances where users who had tweaked their cfg-file to death started experiencing issues sooner or later, and deleting the configuration file and letting P3d rebuild a new one gave them a relief. Personally, I only "tweak" using the P3D internal display settings (except of maybe the cloud shadow size), and it has worked best for me.

Agreed. I'm not a tweaker. Once I've found settings that I'm happy with I stick with them. The only things I have adjusted recently in FSX was the Ai traffic count in FSUIPC. It was pretty obvious once I thought of it I was too ambitious with my original settings. Although I have yet to fly a route with these new settings I'm reasonably confident I won't get any OOMs.

I too won't be adding any further 'tweaks' via the cfg. Justvia the interface.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

2 hours ago, tooting said:

I can confirm the new drivers leak like hell using the the fsl out of Gatwick but Ironically dont leak going in... You couldn't make it up.

You might care to qualify that statement. Which version are the 'new drivers'? Anyone reading this in a few weeks won't have a clue which ones you're referring to.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Nope its completely possible.  With the new drivers and all of them now the latest driver back to. 33 any flight I do out of Gatwick in the Fsl the minute I pass 6000 feet the vas half's.  I'd post videos to show it on 3 flights but it has me swearing in it and Baron doesn't like that.

However I can fly into Gatwick with no issues.  Once again I can show a video proving it.

For me using the fsl with a 980ti I definitely have the leak using the fsl on the newer drivers after the. 33 ones

14ppkc-6.png

Nope its completely possible.  With the new drivers and all of them now the latest driver back to. 33 any flight I do out of Gatwick in the Fsl the minute I pass 6000 feet the vas half's.  I'd post videos to show it on 3 flights but it has me swearing in it and Baron doesn't like that.

However I can fly into Gatwick with no issues.  Once again I can show a video proving it.

For me using the fsl with a 980ti I definitely have the leak using the fsl on the newer drivers after the. 33 ones

By "Fsl" do you mean their A320? And you could prove your theory by flying the same departure with a default aircraft. Doesn't have to be precise. Just take-off and fly the same heading as before. Report back if the same thing happens.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

I'd post videos to show it on 3 flights but it has me swearing in it and Baron doesn't like that.

LOL:laugh:

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

That was my experience with 3.4, Ray. I have now gone back to 3.2, which is much better at purging redundant VAS. OOM's are now extremely rare, although they can still be induced (FSL A320 from Aerosoft EGLL to Aerosoft EHAM, for example), but it's got to the stage where I've stopped looking at the VAS counter..

Petraeus

Hi Petraeus. I've just bought 3.4 so going back to an earlier version is not an option for me.

Has the VAS handling been reported to LM? Is it worth raising the issue with them?

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

2 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Has the VAS handling been reported to LM? Is it worth raising the issue with them?

Hi Ray,

Take your pick!

http://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6315&t=124227

------------------------------------------------------

http://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6312&t=120967

http://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6315&t=124373

http://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6315&t=124232

If you, and others, are feeling strongly about all this and, quite clearly you do, then I would encourage you all to add your experiences to the mix. I think the first thread would be the most appropriate. Rob McCarthy, LM Core Lead, is involved so he will need to know that this matter is not yet resolved.

The more voices that are heard the more likely we will see a resolution.

Regards,

Mike

• Upvote 1

On 07/05/2017 at 11:01 PM, Ray Proudfoot said:

Why? Why isn't P3D releasing VAS as I pass complex areas?

I guess the software doesn't do it, or not to the level you expect

Mike,

Thanks for the links. I've just completed a flight from ENGM to EGLL in Concorde with Nvidia drivers 376.33.

At ENGM I had 1500Mb remaining. This slowly reduced on climbout to around 1300Mb. After passing the coastline P3D recovered around 150Mb. VAS usage slowly increased during the flight with around 1200Mb remaining as I crossed the UK coastline.

Approaching London it further increased but abeam EGLL for a 09R landing there was 900Mb remaining. Fps were 24 on final approach.

An hour after landing and parked there is 885Mb free VAS. I think I've cracked it through a combination of different drivers and lower settings. I may tweak settings slightly higher and see how I get on.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

2 hours ago, NZ255 said:

I guess the software doesn't do it, or not to the level you expect

It should do anything FSX could do especially as P3D is quite mature these days. Change of drivers appears to be the answer.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Ive just completed ltn-nce-ltn in the Fsl 320 using p3d 3.35 and the. 33 drivers.  The vas management was great.  I certainly won't be trying out the new drivers again for a long time.

The 2 areas I'm getting leaks for sure is after departing London and around the nova scotia area of Canada when crossing the pond

14ppkc-6.png

3 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Mike,

Thanks for the links. I've just completed a flight from ENGM to EGLL in Concorde with Nvidia drivers 376.33.

At ENGM I had 1500Mb remaining. This slowly reduced on climbout to around 1300Mb. After passing the coastline P3D recovered around 150Mb. VAS usage slowly increased during the flight with around 1200Mb remaining as I crossed the UK coastline.

Approaching London it further increased but abeam EGLL for a 09R landing there was 900Mb remaining. Fps were 24 on final approach.

An hour after landing and parked there is 885Mb free VAS. I think I've cracked it through a combination of different drivers and lower settings. I may tweak settings slightly higher and see how I get on.

Hi Ray,

Glad to see you are making progress. I note several threads on this topic over at the P3D forums have now been locked. Here is one that is still live. It was started last year but there are some recent posts. I think you will find a few kindred spirits 😉

Just checked and I see it was included in my previous post - sorry!

Regards,

Mike

53 minutes ago, Cruachan said:

Hi Ray,

Glad to see you are making progress. I note several threads on this topic over at the P3D forums have now been locked. Here is one that is still live. It was started last year but there are some recent posts. I think you will find a few kindred spirits 😉

Just checked and I see it was included in my previous post - sorry!

Regards,

Mike

Mike,

I didn't have the enthusiasm to read through 13 pages. But glancing through there doesn't appear to be much input from LM support.

I can live with my situation. I may even be able to increase one or two settings. I think having the 1050 card benefits me because I can revert to earlier drivers which don't have a VAS leak. Owners of the 1080 can't use those as the card is not supported.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather