Sign in to follow this  
ronzie

FS9.1 Loading files

Guest rnails

Can someone tell me what FS9.1 loads before it gets to "select a flight" and what it loads after that? My load time is well over two minutes just to get to select a flight. My next question is how to prioritize my scenery folders. I have seven MegaScenery/City titles,USA Roads, Freeflow Florida,New England& Bermuda, at least one hundred addon scenery files, 2000 afcads,many with scenery using RW12, EZ-Scenery,& Lago's FSE. So you can see I may have a mess. I defrag at least once a week using Perfect Disc. My system: P4 2.8 Ghz wH/T , 800mghz FSB, 1 Gig of 400 Mghz ram, and a Radeon 9800Pro 128 mhz card. Sorry about the long post but it pains me to come to a complete stop on final when getting 25-30 FPS. I am convinced that FS9 is searching for the next scenery files. rnails

yse use filemon as suggested. Load time will differ from system to system as do framerates etc, etc, but to give you an idea of load time. My system is a dog compared to yours, P1.6 356mb sd ram win2000 radeon 9300/128mb. I have lots of addons, scenery, PAI(always at 100%, cept whenbuilding scenery) and it takes my steam powered puter 30secs from dbl clik fs icon to select flight window and 40-45 secs from select flight to fully loaded sitting in cockpit.happy huntingDouglas B-707 Ret.:-jumpy

Mails,The more you load into the program the longer it will take to execute.The less fps you will get too.I read a thread that stated that FS9 is looking for .bgl files over two hundred miles away so, disarming some of your scenery folders will help?Dave T. .........On the Devon Riviera and active 'FlightSim User's Group' member at http://www.flightsimgrpuk.free-online.co.uk/

Dave Taylor gb.png

Guest rnails

Thanks guys for your quick response. I might add that I use FS AutoStart to shut down just about everything. Perhaps I have too much Florida scenery going but this is where I do most of the simming. Now if I can just figure out what "Filemon" is telling me since I have 40 Gbs of flight sim files and over 1.3 million files on the system thanks to MegaScenery/City. Ralph(aka rnails) KTIX

When the sim is loading, I believe in addition to its dll files and whatnot, it inspects all your scenery (to see if it needs to rebuild its indexes and such), inspects/loads your aircraft, inspects and/or loads modules, at the very least.... Thus, the more scenery and aircraft you have installed, the longer it will take.Once you click "Fly now", it pretty much does what the progress bar is telling you it's doing... Loads the scenery, weather, traffic, textures, etc. for the area you've positioned yourself in. So, again, the more complex the scenery, the more traffic, the longer this step will take (but usually takes no longer than 45 seconds on my system)..The exact files it accesses, I wouldn't know, but that's the general idea from what I know or can guess...If it freezes in mid-flight, I would bet that it is loading scenery that you're approaching. I often get a stutter or brief pause on final when FS loads the airport scenery, but usually it's never more than 2-3 seconds.... (But then I don't have any of the Megascenery packages or Simflyers sceneries or stuff like that to really bog me down..)

StoneC0ld_zps439869f4.png

Declared weather:  FSX: ASN / FS9: ASE

At least some portion of your default flight is loaded before you get to the FS initial menus. This is verified by my FSUIPC log and modifying the default flight is useful for initialing models and their environment for the Create A Flight and Select A Flight process. As an example if your default flight has its aircraft parked cold and dark, your saved flight and created flights will start cold and dark. (If engines in the default are on but you saved a none-default with engines off, when you bring up the saved flight the engines will briefly come on and immediately shut down.)If your default flight uses complex weather, aircraft, and scenery, then I would suspect this makes FS take longer to initialize.