Sign in to follow this  
vortex681

Anyone using a force-feedback joystick with FSW?

Trying to decide whether or not to try FSW but I've seen no mention of force-feedback in any of the videos I've watched. It's something that I'd miss a lot if I had to do without it. Is anyone using a force-feedback joystick with FSW (I have a MS FF2)?

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

There is force feedback but seems to be part of the WIP. Mentioned in another thread (or maybe it was at FS dot com) with a joystick and Xbox 360 controller connected to the PC but the joystick selected as primary input, when I crashed at Skardu got the Xbox controller doing the godawful rattle on the desktop. However, going into controller options there seems to be no entry to turn FF on or off on any device.

Actually I use the Microsoft Sidewinder II and am impressed by the force feedback implemented in FSW, very smooth and quite realistic! One of the best sofar.

5 hours ago, jcorstjens said:

Actually I use the Microsoft Sidewinder II and am impressed by the force feedback implemented in FSW, very smooth and quite realistic! One of the best sofar.

Interesting! Considering some of the basic things that appear to need work in FSW, I'm surprised that they've improved the force-feedback which was rubbish, by default, in FSX.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

Only thing anoying with FFB in FSW still is the huge "thumb" when retracting the landing gear, results in 2g on the accelerometer!

Odd - tried my FFB2 and the effects are exactly the same 'backwards' effects as FSX?

You should be able to tune the gear effect down in the aircraft.cfg?

Cheers
Keith

On 20/05/2017 at 2:11 PM, keithb77 said:

Odd - tried my FFB2 and the effects are exactly the same 'backwards' effects as FSX?

That's what I was worried about. FS Force has really transformed FSX for me and I wouldn't want to go back to the old default effects which don't do justice to a decent FF joystick.

• Upvote 1

I've got a sidewinder ff2 as well, but no joy on the force feedback - in fact it doesn't give me anything - just a floppy joystick.  Nobody wants a floppy joystick. :(

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, sunjunkiesi said:

I've got a sidewinder ff2 as well, but no joy on the force feedback - in fact it doesn't give me anything - just a floppy joystick.  Nobody wants a floppy joystick. :(

Same for me here! How did you get the FFB working guys?

Cheers

Pat

MSFS - XPlane11 & 12- P3D4 - Windows 10 64 bit - Corsair One i140 - i7 9700K 3.6Ghz - nVidia GeForce TRX 2080 

Patrick Mussotte

If you're foolish enough to want to use the default force feedback in FSX, there's a section in fsx.cfg under [CONTROLS] which sets the forces:

[CONTROLS]

force_master_gain=10000
force_stick_force_enabled=0
force_stick_shaker_enabled=0
force_gear_bump_enabled=0
force_crash_enabled=0
force_ground_bumps_enabled=0

Is this still there in FSW?

Edited by vortex681

44 minutes ago, vortex681 said:

If you're foolish enough to want to use the default force feedback in FSX, there's a section in fsx.cfg under [CONTROLS] which sets the forces:

[CONTROLS]

force_master_gain=10000
force_stick_force_enabled=0
force_stick_shaker_enabled=0
force_gear_bump_enabled=0
force_crash_enabled=0
force_ground_bumps_enabled=0

Is this still there in FSW?

No, there is nothing like this.

MSFS - XPlane11 & 12- P3D4 - Windows 10 64 bit - Corsair One i140 - i7 9700K 3.6Ghz - nVidia GeForce TRX 2080 

Patrick Mussotte

On 19/05/2017 at 6:38 PM, jcorstjens said:

Did you have to do anything to get it to work as others seem to have nothing?

Force feedback is great if if can be improved and refined from crude way fsx had it.  FS force was cool tool and I have Logitech 3D pro force feedback version and love it when it worked right flew by more feel.  

There are no force entries in FSW.CFG CONTROLS section so it presumably defaults.

In each aircraft.cfg there IS a forcefeedback section, eg

[forcefeedback]
gear_bump_nose_magnitude=6000           ; 0 - 10000
gear_bump_nose_direction=18000          ; 0 - 35999 degrees

I most definitely get the same FFB as FSX (wish I didn't)...I'll try switching it off by adding as above and set to 0 :)

Cheers
Keith