scianoir

Grass runway textures changed - help please!

Recommended Posts

A few days ago I noticed that the grass runway textures on my default FSX airfields had changed to what look like dirt runways of a buff / pale brown colour! This is just didn't look at all correct on the British grass airfield where I landed and when I randomly checked various default airfields with grass runways in other parts of the world, the same 'dirt' textures were present. My addon payware airfields however, such as those from Orbx, were not affected. I'm not sure why this change occurred or when as I hadn't flown into a default airfield with a grass runway for some months but presumably a texture file was changed by some addon. I have tried disabling various addons in the scenery library including Oz scenery files (having added the latest update to these recently) but the problem persisted. I even used SIMStarterNG to disable all but the default scenery areas and again this did not help. 

Although it is not a major problem, I find issues like this quite irritating and as am not quite sure where I should go from here to get my nice lush green grass runways back, any help or ideas would be much appreciated! Many thanks in anticipation.

Bill

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Going out on a limb here, but what happens if you change the season in-sim?

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Inside your main FSX folder is the Texture folder.  Inside,  there are 5 files that start with taxi_grass_xx.dds. 

I wonder if any or all of these files got corrupted somehow.  I saw some replacement textures on FlyawaySimulations site.  I'll post a link.  https://flyawaysimulation.com/downloads/files/17790/fsx-grass-strip-textures/

Edited by charliearon
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, HighBypass said:

Going out on a limb here, but what happens if you change the season in-sim?

I tried that Mark thank you but it made no difference.

 

9 hours ago, charliearon said:

Inside your main FSX folder is the Texture folder.  Inside,  there are 5 files that start with taxi_grass_xx.dds. 

I wonder if any or all of these files got corrupted somehow.  I saw some replacement textures on FlyawaySimulations site.  I'll post a link.  https://flyawaysimulation.com/downloads/files/17790/fsx-grass-strip-textures/

I assumed it was either an addon or corrupted files that had caused the problem, however I didn't know which files so I will look at those files and possibly try the replacement textures you suggest to see if I can improve the appearance as they look quite good in the screenshots - many thanks for the link.

I have been slowly going through all the addons I have installed since the beginning of this year and installing them to an 'FSX sandbox' to see if I could identify any suspect files but so far have found nothing.

Bill

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you have REX HD Airports, there is an option to "Disable grass texture" in settings. That might be it.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

7 hours ago, MDFlier said:

If you have REX HD Airports, there is an option to "Disable grass texture" in settings. That might be it.

Thanks but I don't have REX HD Airports. I do use REX Essentials +OD and I did wonder if that might be the suspect but it only allows modification of solid runways not grass.

I installed the replacement textures from FlyawaySimulations as I hoped that might be the answer but the problem persists, so I guess the 5 original taxi_grass files were not corrupt. 

Any more suggestions?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Zinertek Airport textures changes grass runways to that buff texture, I asked Zinertek for a fix. Once I popped the files into textures the grass runways were fine again. 

 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Mithras said:

Zinertek Airport textures changes grass runways to that buff texture, I asked Zinertek for a fix. Once I popped the files into textures the grass runways were fine again. 

 

You are absolutely right! I had installed Zinertek Airport Graphics around the end of last year (then basically forgot about it!) and when I uninstalled it just now my grass runway textures returned to normal. I will now go to the Zinertek site and see if I can find that fix.

Many thanks Paul and to everyone else who replied,

Bill

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 25 May 2017 at 5:20 PM, scianoir said:

You are absolutely right! I had installed Zinertek Airport Graphics around the end of last year (then basically forgot about it!) and when I uninstalled it just now my grass runway textures returned to normal. I will now go to the Zinertek site and see if I can find that fix.

Many thanks Paul and to everyone else who replied,

Bill

That's great Bill! I'm just returning the favour, I've had some many niggly problems sorted out by folks on this forum myself. Happy flying! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Actually, Bill, copy the default 'runway' textures from the texture folder, reinstall Zinertek then drop back in the correct grass runway textures... now, I will have to go and look those up....

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Mithras said:

Actually, Bill, copy the default 'runway' textures from the texture folder, reinstall Zinertek then drop back in the correct grass runway textures... now, I will have to go and look those up....

Thanks Paul...will try that!

Bill

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

These are the default grass runway files:

runway_bump

runway13

runway13_fa

runway13_hw

runway13_sp

runway13_su

runway13_wi

runway14

 

So Zinertek said anyway!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you - I hadn't included a couple of those!

Bill

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now