Sign in to follow this  
Jimm

11.02b1a Released

So how long did it take XP to swallow every GB available before the update Ses?

Windows 11 | Asus Z690-P D4 | i7 12700KF 5.2GHz | 32GB G.Skill (XMP II) | EVGA 3060Ti FTW Ultra | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alfa + Bravo

Tried the update. No major difference at my end. Maybe a 1 - 2 FPS improvement in dense city areas.

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

13 minutes ago, JimmiG said:

Tried the update. No major difference at my end. Maybe a 1 - 2 FPS improvement in dense city areas.

..and so I wonder if nvidia's driver version has anything to do with benefiting (or not) from this update.

What driver ver. do you have?

Windows 11 | Asus Z690-P D4 | i7 12700KF 5.2GHz | 32GB G.Skill (XMP II) | EVGA 3060Ti FTW Ultra | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alfa + Bravo

Thanks for the nice bump in FPS.

1.jpg
2.jpg

Jose

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

1 hour ago, Sesquashtoo said:

The great FPS 'theft' as been solved, and there was no crime committed, lol

Glad to hear that was the 'culprit' Ses.  I find Xplane 11 loads very fast in areas without ortho scenery, but with ortho scenery it takes about the same amount of time as Prepar3d in an ORBX region does. I am not using a SSD, so patience is needed in either case.

Martin 

Sims: MSFS and X-plane 11

Home Airport: CYCW - Chilliwack, BC Canada

i5 13600KF 32GB DDR4 3600 RAM, RTX3080TI  HP Reverb G2

11.02b1 is out now officially, so if anyone has recently (within the last 12 hours or so) has updated, they now have the full beta release.  Mainly cpu optimizations right now and there can still be some fps increases, and of course, bug fixes. :biggrin:

Just realized that I posted an update to an update.  11.02b1a IS the latest, as b1 was "borked up", according to Ben.

My apologies for any confusion.

Edited by Jimm
Clarification Issue

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

6 hours ago, CarlosF said:

So how long did it take XP to swallow every GB available before the update Ses?

That's the interesting thing...interesting...like about 30 seconds or less...AND...my FPS were about 13-18, and didn't swing back to 7...up to 10...back to 7...and so on.  I think that Ben, could have really got into the guts of how XP manages its memory, access to memory, what is called for...etc..I dunno...probably talking way over my head...not a software engineer...but, that is why I was so alarmed, Carlos,...never had to wait before I  'headed out' towards taxi from an airport 'plop down'. Carlos, perhaps XP prior and down, did not have a routine to fill every square inch of System Memory as this iteration does.  I was 'up and ready to taxi', at about only 15-30 seconds, and then 22-27 FPS available.  Certainly not almost 5 minutes, and XP fully absorbed in loading scenery in, that the FPS reader was in the toilet at 7 FPS.  So certainly something has changed 'under the hood'....

...and while you asked the question....it WAS on the running of the first trial after downloading XP11B.02b.  

So...with z17 and z19 load-in.... I only fly over Ortho now....can't go back to the default...so...with that being said, I can understand now, the load-in wait time.  

After the initial 4 1/2 minutes though....wow...wow....I'm flying over z19 (and it looks drop-dead GORGEOUS!!!!!!) at 43-56 freakin' FPS!   Team Laminar is doing a fantastic job with the XP franchise.  Fantastic job! I could even bump up the Texture Slider from High to now, Max (Non-Compressed)!

I have an eight year old 4 core 3.4 GH'z CPU,with 4 year old memory tech, and I am banging out stellar FPS numbers in XP, under demanding graphic settings and scenery demands....and I am in no pressure whatsoever, to need to upgrade my CPU (GPU of course every three years or so...and has been...GTX285...GTX680...GTX1070, etc) because of the great work Laminar is doing.

Go Team Laminar!

Cheers,

Laminar Ses

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Desaix said:

Correct. In my experience flight sims have been the only reason to upgrade PC.

I guess Intel/Nvidia should pay hard cash to LM or LR.

:biggrin::blink: Well said!

14 hours ago, Sesquashtoo said:

This update has killed off my XPlane 11.  I am only getting a very choppy 8-9 FPS since the update.

Gawd, I hope I can roll back somehow...

Since this is a beta, I hope you submitted your log.text to LR so they could see why it killed off your fps. On my machine it made a very dramatic shift upwards to fps and the load on my CPU and GPU dropped off quite a lot. 

4 hours ago, turnandbank said:

Glad to hear that was the 'culprit' Ses.  I find Xplane 11 loads very fast in areas without ortho scenery, but with ortho scenery it takes about the same amount of time as Prepar3d in an ORBX region does. I am not using a SSD, so patience is needed in either case.

Thanks for the head's up, at your end.  It was exactly that...for I have never watched the 'busy light' on the hard drive, no sort of impetus to.  When I do take a flight over non-generated (give me time, LOLOLOLOLOL) ortho below  the wing, out of those airports, instantaneous 27 and up FPS, available before pull out and taxi.

10 minutes ago, wb5okj said:

Since this is a beta, I hope you submitted your log.text to LR so they could see why it killed off your fps. On my machine it made a very dramatic shift upwards to fps and the load on my CPU and GPU dropped off quite a lot. 

Hi Donald...actually, there is/was no problem, truly.  Something has changed, in the way (I think...) XP now handles the memory load...perhaps loads in greater LOD figures, for less resource back and forth, whatever than before, to get most people up at least 3-7 FPS, from what I am reading here.  My FPS went up about 5 or so...but, since my also cleaning Custom Scenery 'garbage' out...I have seen (over high z rating ortho) a peak of 56 FPS, that the system now can easily sit around.

So...for myself,  I now know that I can tell XP11.02(no b?) where to place me...and then go grab some snacks or coffee...and come back around 5 minutes after my system/XP stops accessing my Hard Drive for scenery, to System Memory load in, and be ready for my simulation session. Before this update, I didn't have those extra 5 FPS, so perhaps under the hood, memory load in, and general management has been tweaked.?

I can wait those 4 1/2/5 minutes for a coffee and bathroom run.....:cool:

Cheers,

Ses

Glad to hear that Ses. Really helped my machine. I am having trouble with doing the Ortho4XP thing. I am going to post in a new post about it and ask for some help, if you read it  maybe you can give me some pointers.

11 hours ago, Jimm said:

Personally, I think it's Sesquashtoo's server farm he has for his ZL19 orthos...probably pulling too much juice off the national grid. :laugh:

That was funny, Jimm, LOL.

Well...you aren't really far off, in that comment...for I do have now, four USB SuperSpeed 3 4 TB My Books, sitting in two rows on top of my system tower, being fed into my 8 bus slot, by a 4 input, with full LP4-SATA Power feeds for each rail, just for my having been bitten (and badly so...terminal in fact..lol) by the Ortho4XP bug!   If you see the power flicker at your house, pay no mind..it's just another State of the Union, falling to my z17/19 schemes.... :)

If you are interested, the add-on USB SuperSpeed card is the following model..and it works like a charm!  Like I said, I now have all of the ports stuffed with a 4 TB My Book each...

StarTech (.com) 4 Port Quad Bus PCI Express USB 3.0 Card with UASP-LP4-SATA Power

Part #: PEXUSB3544V

So Jimm...your humor found truth! :))))

Cheers, my friend.

1 hour ago, wb5okj said:

Glad to hear that Ses. Really helped my machine. I am having trouble with doing the Ortho4XP thing. I am going to post in a new post about it and ask for some help, if you read it  maybe you can give me some pointers.

I will help you in any way I can...I also had a bumpy start...I made sort of a blog in Scenery Add On Forum...and some (what I think can save a fellow User head-ache) tips that I found in my Ortho Fest Journey.

Right now, as I type, I am capturing whole states...right now, the great state of Mississippi  is being converted. I am choosing to ortho U.S. States that I and my wife, visit upon travelling vacations, and we love to haunt Gulfport, by renting a Condo there, on the beach front side of things. So...Mississippi is being given the treatment in the back ground, in Batch Mode. Then..after finding out some curious things regarding Batch, I afterward, go over each time once more for a Step 3 texture download run...and have found too many numerous times to mention, that on the second run, added z17 and mostly z19 photoreal is downloaded, that was NOT downloaded in the first generation run of the file.  I pointed that out in the forum.

So, start there...and if you need any pointers, totally feel free to ask me, and I will PM you a step-by-step and what to change in your set-up of the Global .cfg file, to end up getting you scenery to die for!

Be warned...and truly...be warned, the first time you generate a z17/z19 succesful tile...you are done, like dinner!   You will never go back to seeing anything else below the wing...nope, nope.....

Start buying USB 3.0/ or.1 WD My Books, in 4 or 6 TB capacity. YOU WILL NEED THEM.  :)))))))))  Start filling up your USB 3 ports, and have a blast. Your flight simulation enjoyment will simply sky-rocket.

Oh, just a post-edit head's-up...be of no mind (as you have seen in my posting on this thread...) if it takes a bathroom or coffee run to get you to being able to pull away and taxi. Remember, I am creating whole States, so my system had multiple shoulder-to-shoulder tiles to load in, up to my System Memory Max of 12 GB. That's all my motherboard can carry....but on my next (if ever)  system/board upgrade, I will make sure that I can have at least 64 GB's of System Memory modules.  Perhaps even 128, if that is available.  And all this, because of XP11 and Ortho World..LOL...it's that good!

Cheers,

MItch/Ses

1 minute ago, Sesquashtoo said:

I will help you in any way I can...I also had a bumpy start...I made sort of a blog in Scenery Add On Forum...and some (what I think can save a fellow User head-ache) tips that I found in my Ortho Fest Journey.

Right now, as I type, I am capturing whole states...right now, the great state of Mississippi  is being converted. I am choosing to ortho U.S. States that I and my wife, visit upon travelling vacations, and we love to haunt Gulf Port, by renting a Condo there, on the beach front side of things. So...Missisppi is being given the treament in the back ground, in Batch Mode. Then..after finding out some curious things regarding Batch, I afterward, go over each time once more for a Step 3 texture download run...and have found too many numerous times to mention, that on the second run, added z17 and mostly z19 photoreal is downloaded, that was NOT downloaded in the first generation run of the file.  I pointed that out in the forum.

So, start there...and if you need any pointers, totally feel free to ask me, and I will PM you a step-by-step and what to change in your set-up of the Global .cfg file, to end up getting you scenery to die for!

Be warned...and truly...be warned, the first time you generate a z17/z19 succesful tile...you are done, like dinner!   You will never go back to seeing anything else below the wing...nope, nope.....

Cheers,

MItch/Ses

:biggrin: I can understand that Mitch, I'll look for your blog in the Addon Scenery forum. Thanks a bunch