Sign in to follow this  
davidzill

Prepar3d on same SSD as FSX

I currently have FSX: Acceleration installed on a user-defined location on my SSD. With the release of Prepar3d V4 tomorrow, I want to purchase and install it. My question is: (1) Can I install it without any issues with the existing FSX, and (2) Is there anything else I must do other than purchase, download, and install to prevent conflicts with FSX? The reason I ask is because two weeks ago, I installed FSX-Steam, and it ruined FSX, it utilized my FSX.CFG even though FSX-Steam was located in the Steam file directory. 

Guest JustanotherPilot

I can't see any reason for conflicts, I had FSX on my dedicated SSD G: drive in it's own folder G:\FSX\ and P3D v3 in it's own folder G:\Lockheed Martin\,  This worked fine for both platforms. They have separate registry locations and paths, so they won't conflict. I later deleted my FSX installation through lack of use and to free up space as my Prepar3D aircraft and scenery addons grew. I'll probably install Prepar3D v4 in it's own folder on the same G:\ drive.

steve

5 hours ago, davidzill said:

I currently have FSX: Acceleration installed on a user-defined location on my SSD. With the release of Prepar3d V4 tomorrow, I want to purchase and install it. My question is: (1) Can I install it without any issues with the existing FSX, and (2) Is there anything else I must do other than purchase, download, and install to prevent conflicts with FSX? The reason I ask is because two weeks ago, I installed FSX-Steam, and it ruined FSX, it utilized my FSX.CFG even though FSX-Steam was located in the Steam file directory. 

P3D and FSX are completely separate programs, they don't affect each other at all.

With the SE thing you likely had a registry issue that caused SE to install in standalone rather than side-by-side mode, so it went and overwrote your FSX retail AppData folder, which is how it behaves when retail isn't installed. (it masquerades as if it is retail in order to allow older addons that aren't SE aware to install and work correctly)

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

To add onto this question... what about scenery? I have some scenery that can be installed for both, do I need to uninstall for FSX before installing for P3D? Will Orbx stuff have to be re-downloaded since it is for P3D now, instead of my FSX Steam install? I guess what I am saying is I am wondering if I should just start all over and wipe FSX completely to save hard drive space rather than have both FSX and P3D and double most addon scenery for each install taking up a lot of space.

1 hour ago, 777200lrf said:

To add onto this question... what about scenery? I have some scenery that can be installed for both, do I need to uninstall for FSX before installing for P3D? Will Orbx stuff have to be re-downloaded since it is for P3D now, instead of my FSX Steam install? I guess what I am saying is I am wondering if I should just start all over and wipe FSX completely to save hard drive space rather than have both FSX and P3D and double most addon scenery for each install taking up a lot of space.

No.. that's not how it works. Add-ons either install to a separate folder and do their magic,  or install inside the sim{s file structure (also separately). you don't need to uninstall anything... Just read the instructions for each addon...

• Upvote 1

the problem for me is that addons for p3d v4 will get saved in documents folder within c drive. Is there a I can use a separate folder to install addons?

Bilal Asif Khan

10 minutes ago, biloo said:

the problem for me is that addons for p3d v4 will get saved in documents folder within c drive. Is there a I can use a separate folder to install addons?

That's not entirely correct.

What V4 does is give add-on makers an easy option to install them that way.  Orbx, for instance, has indicated that they will continue to install under the P3D folder.

2 hours ago, Raven9000 said:

No.. that's not how it works. Add-ons either install to a separate folder and do their magic,  or install inside the sim{s file structure (also separately). you don't need to uninstall anything... Just read the instructions for each addon...

Thanks. I am going to finally upgrade after reading one of my aircraft I have purchased long ago, the Aerosoft Otter, is v4 compatible. I'll install Orbx stuff and see how to get it working for p3d side by side, and FlyTampa st Marteen. I'll have fun in that until some other developers update their addons.