Sign in to follow this  
turner112

Hey, NICE supercomputer! And you say P3D V4 runs well? Wow!

Back to the topic of this thread. I have seen a couple videos today with folks running P3D V4 with mid to low high end hardware and they seemed to be getting good performance out of the sim.

They did not seem to be running add-ons as far as I could tell so yet some more signs of hope for simmers with average rigs. 

Anthony A. Moise

fbsupporter2.jpg

2 minutes ago, CaribbeanCLANK said:

They did not seem to be running add-ons as far as I could tell so yet some more signs of hope for simmers with average rigs. 

There's the reason - no problem without addons

people arw saying "wow this loads  so much faster!"  Except it's a vanilla install 😂

• Upvote 1

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

3 minutes ago, ryanbatcund said:

people arw saying "wow this loads  so much faster!"  Except it's a vanilla install 😂

Slower than my fully loaded v3.4.  Too many factors though.

regards

bs

AMD RYZEN 9 5900X 12 CORE CPU - ZOTAC RTX 3060Ti GPU - NZXT H510i ELITE CASE - EVO M.2 970 500GB DRIVE - 32GB XTREEM 4000 MEM - XPG GOLD 80+ 650 WATT PS - NZXT 280 HYBRID COOLER

2 minutes ago, ryanbatcund said:

Understood...for people that have low to average PC's or a particular component that they are thinking of upgrading (say an old GPU) maybe a top of the line card is not needed to get a good simming experience out of P3D v4.

Anthony A. Moise

fbsupporter2.jpg

15 hours ago, turner112 said:

Dell XPS 8300
Intel core i5-2320 cpu 3.00ghz
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 ti
16GB Ram (not sure what kind at the moment)

1) Everything loaded MUCH faster. Aircraft selection, airport selection, time of day, etc. 

2) Same crappy GPS? Is there a moving map yet? (X-Plane 11's GPS is very good)

3) Would like to finally see sloping runways

4) Great performance - with no tweaks on my meager system & I got 25-28 fps out of the gate. Cloud shadows at default distance (I think 50 miles) didn't have much effect.

5) Smooth performance even with framerate drop - I bumped up cloud coverage, and while my FPS did drop to the teens, for some reason, it was still smooth. Nicely done.

Wow, it's like v4 gave your old computer a... resurrection!  (careful how ya say that :laugh: )

Greg

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, ryanbatcund said:

Hey Ryan, just curious as you are a GA flier in P3D, do you have OOM problems?  This whole P3Dv4 is mostly for airliner with near max in VAS that will benefit, I don't see yet a clear benefit for GA users, aside from more money flowing out ;)  and are you on v3.4 or v3.3?  I have not made it to 3.4 yet and have to uninstall everything due to a new SSD main drive.  I have not anything yet for P3D to get back, just did a quick check on my FSDT stuffs as they have a sale on, and just caught a glimpse of how much money I already spent on this FSX-P3D francise and sigh!

Vu Pham

i7-10700K 5.2 GHz OC, 64 GB RAM, GTX4070Ti, SSD for Sim, SSD for system. MSFS2020

20 minutes ago, Anxu00 said:

Hey Ryan, just curious as you are a GA flier in P3D, do you have OOM problems?  This whole P3Dv4 is mostly for airliner with near max in VAS that will benefit, I don't see yet a clear benefit for GA users, aside from more money flowing out ;)  and are you on v3.4 or v3.3?  I have not made it to 3.4 yet and have to uninstall everything due to a new SSD main drive.  I have not anything yet for P3D to get back, just did a quick check on my FSDT stuffs as they have a sale on, and just caught a glimpse of how much money I already spent on this FSX-P3D francise and sigh!

I don't have issues right now but I've deleted the software that was causing headaches, and if I really want to fly in those areas (like for an online event etc) I'll lower my scenery settings a lot.  But because I am primarily a GA flyer, and I LOVE eye candy, yes, I did have pretty bad OOM issues in years past.  Most of it stemmed from using addons that started with O and ended in X lol (I own a ton of their stuff so I can gripe hehe).  But aircraft are VAS killers imo too.

There are some improvements I've noticed in v4 but honestly people, the main thing is it's 64 bit, and if you have the monster PC to run it all, you can now do it without fears of OOMs.  That was the wall people were hitting, not fps.  Many users with monster machines were turning down settings because they wanted to run tons of addons all at the same time.

And if I'm honest with myself, half the reason I like these sims is to tinker, and install new stuff.  It's like an expensive baseball card collection really :)  Addons are almost like collectors items to me :)

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Obviously when people start sticking FSL A320s and add on airports with tons of traffic and such, we'll have a better impression of what the differences are with the ESP-based 64 bit sims, and it's gonna be a good while before we can do that with FSW, so really, the only one we can do that with and get a good idea of things, is P3D.

I know that when you start cranking up XP11 with Flight Factors airliners and JarDesign traffic and other bits and bobs, it is very different interms of load times and performance from cranking it up with a default Cessna 172 and not much else, as you'd expect of course, but even so, it kind of underwhelms me given what GPUs are capable of these days and indeed have been capable of for many years.

It's clearly an improvement to have things not run out of memory so easily of course, but when we are talking about what are essentially fifteen year old graphical depictions of terrain in most flight sims, since FSX really didn't look vastly different from FS2002, I would be expecting such sims to really be offloading as much as they possibly can to the GPU and going along like a runaway train, and I don't think that is an unreasonable expectation either, given that the graphics (in pretty much any and every flight sim) are not particularly stunning in comparison to the kind of stuff one sees in a lot of contemporary sims and games. So I'm still waiting to be truly impressed by what really could be done graphically in the flight sim realm, and that without bringing the things to a standstill either. The ball still is firmly in the sim developer's court as far as I'm concerned.

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

9 hours ago, ryanbatcund said:

And if I'm honest with myself, half the reason I like these sims is to tinker, and install new stuff.  It's like an expensive baseball card collection really :)  Addons are almost like collectors items to me :)

True, and those sales are irresistible aren't they :laugh: We keep buying stuffs based on screenshots and then try to load them all.  More than half of the stuffs I bought were installed but have not been used, and when I do the stuttering drove me nuts.  Anyway, I guess you will be one of the early V4 adopters.  Given your extensive collection of those O and X sceneries, give us a report back.  I will pay close attention to yours because if it runs well on your system, then there is hope for mine yet, as I don't have the budget to invest on new supercomputer, while the ones I bought 5 years ago delivered on everything else but this damn fsx-p3d franchise.

Vu Pham

i7-10700K 5.2 GHz OC, 64 GB RAM, GTX4070Ti, SSD for Sim, SSD for system. MSFS2020