Sign in to follow this  
joepoway

P3Dv4 Orbx KLAX FPS Hitter?

6 hours ago, Bnash00 said:

Here's what I've found regarding ORBX performance in busy areas. I have NA SCA, NA NCA, OpenLC NA, Flightbeam KSFO, Active Sky for P3D v4, and the PMDG 747 v3. I load up the 747 at KSFO 28L on a stormy day with lots of clouds and rain. I set active sky to historical weather mode for 2/17/2017 at 17:00GMT. With everything turned to max I get about 12 FPS.

I'm running a 4960X @ 4.2Ghz with a Titan X (Maxwell) It's not the fastest system money can buy, but it's pretty good.

I HAVE to back some setting down to achieve acceptable performance. Mainly, dynamic lighting and dynamic reflections are switched off. Scenery complexity is set to sparse. I also have cloud shadows switched off. I find these are the settings that affect performance the most.

I can achieve 25 -30 FPS in heavy weather which is acceptable. I haven't tested at KLAX yet but I will later on tonight.

Please note I'm not saying it's not manageable I still only get minor stutters since I try to maintain 30fps in my Vsync set-up with a 30Hz monitor and have already shut down most of what you have also done. The issue for me is that I don't see the same delta in performance between KLAX and every other airport region like KSFO in v3 when I fire it back up. Clearly densely populated areas require trade-offs but I've been very impressed with the improved performance in v4 except for the LA area and specifically KLAX with the Orbx add-ons.

Having said all that I'm very satisfied with v4 !

Joe

Joe (Southern California)

SystemI9-9900KS @5.1Ghz/ Corsair H115i / Gigabyte A-390 Master / EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Hybrid w 11Gb / Trident 32Gb DDR4-3200 C14 / Evo 970 2Tb M.2 / Samsung 40inch TV 40ku6300 4K w/ Native 30 hz capability  / Corsair AX850 PS / VKB Gunfighter Pro / Virpil MongoosT-50 Throttle / MFG Crosswind Pedals /   LINDA, VoiceAttack, ChasePlane, AIG AI, MCE, FFTF, Pilot2ATC, HP Reverb G2

6 hours ago, Michael Moe said:

Hi Joe

Indeed , no problem at KSFO FB with FTX NCA. 

But the area is not the same. There is so much Autogen in the area at KLAX that it cannot be valued equal in my opinion. 

That said 17-25 fps with LOD maxed in the PMDG747 Autogen on very Dense , Wow it does look good :gaul:

Michael Moe

Thanks Michael I appreciate your help !

Joe (Southern California)

SystemI9-9900KS @5.1Ghz/ Corsair H115i / Gigabyte A-390 Master / EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Hybrid w 11Gb / Trident 32Gb DDR4-3200 C14 / Evo 970 2Tb M.2 / Samsung 40inch TV 40ku6300 4K w/ Native 30 hz capability  / Corsair AX850 PS / VKB Gunfighter Pro / Virpil MongoosT-50 Throttle / MFG Crosswind Pedals /   LINDA, VoiceAttack, ChasePlane, AIG AI, MCE, FFTF, Pilot2ATC, HP Reverb G2

I usually have 20-25 FPS around LAX with ORBX NoCal region and it is my stress test area. I have extreme autogen density and medium AG draw distance. Performance is little bit better than in v3 even draw distance of autogen is higher. 

Anyone else.notice using klax 

Inhave 50%ai traffic on

DL off until resolved

Fps are great 30 

But then viewing tower area fps drops and stutter 

Looking away into terminal with alot traffic fps increase to 30 from 23

Wow, LAX area performs so badly! All Orbx layers plus FSDT, SFO (FlightBeam) in turn performs greatly (and looks so much better still).

Is it me or the autogen surrounding LAX is horrible? Big houses, big trees, etc? Again all Orbx layers active, so it should look better, I think.

Best regards,

Wanthuyr Filho

Instagram: AeroTacto

I was considering buying Nor and Socal but now I'm not sure... I like my fps. I can easily fly the a320 from FSL in to those areas with global vector and open LC but I want to do some GA flying around there so I'm not sure if I can hold 30 fps in light GA planes.  I would turn the regions off when i fly tubes around the area.

870pk 4.9ghz 1080ti 

Ron Hamilton

"95% is half the truth, but most of it is lies, but if you read half of what is written, you'll be okay." __ Honey Boo Boo's Mom

14 minutes ago, fakeflyer737 said:

I was considering buying Nor and Socal but now I'm not sure... I like my fps. I can easily fly the a320 from FSL in to those areas with global vector and open LC but I want to do some GA flying around there so I'm not sure if I can hold 30 fps in light GA planes.  I would turn the regions off when i fly tubes around the area.

870pk 4.9ghz 1080ti 

i think you can achieve your goals of 30fps with that setup. I changed to GTX1080Ti my self and have no problems with 25fps even with Dense settings and Dynamic lights in the PMDG747.

The biggest concern is these pauses that FTXSCA is causing alot loading in the scenerys.

Also cant get rid of stutter just on final to 25L at FSDT KLAX (which btw looks amazing in 4096 with newly SODE gateways and dynamic reflections)

Thanks

Michael Moe

Edited by Michael Moe

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Banner_FS2Crew_Emergency.png

I happily do, and with great satisfaction, LAX at least twice a day with the PMDG 747 and Orbix So Cal. In fact my system is propose built just or LAX.

I usually do morning and evening flights.  General of thumb for all weather 24/7 flying into and out of LAX is: I do not use vync (for fps), especially on approach; and frame rates must be locked (to prevent hard stutters associated with 100% gpu load with DL on), especially at dawn or dusk during take-off roll or on flare to the rnwy .

Edited by FunknNasty

47 minutes ago, FunknNasty said:

I happily do, and with great satisfaction, LAX at least twice a day with the PMDG 747 and Orbix So Cal. In fact my system is propose built just or LAX.

I usually do morning and evening flights.  General of thumb for all weather 24/7 flying into and out of LAX is: I do not use vync (for fps), especially on approach; and frame rates must be locked (to prevent hard stutters associated with 100% gpu load with DL on), especially at dawn or dusk during take-off roll or on flare to the rnwy .

Thanks for the tips but my 4K screen is smoother with unlocked FPS and VSYNC on and a monitor refreshrate of 25HZ.

GPU is 25-40% on my setup and with DL about 60-80%. Stutter on final approach to 25L is even with GPU at 25% so it must be something else like GSX or FTXSCA.

Thanks

Michael Moe

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

25 minutes ago, Michael Moe said:

Thanks for the tips but my 4K screen is smoother with unlocked FPS and VSYNC on and a monitor refreshrate of 25HZ.

GPU is 25-40% on my setup and with DL about 60-80%. Stutter on final approach to 25L is even with GPU at 25% so it must be something else like GSX or FTXSCA.

Thanks

Michael Moe

yeah, that's where my system setup differs from yours, my system isn't tied to the monitor.

...Oh, this may not be relevant to the way your system is setup, but LAX is also the place where I can show a 10% performance pop using 4133 memory over 3200.

Edited by FunknNasty

3 hours ago, FunknNasty said:

yeah, that's where my system setup differs from yours, my system isn't tied to the monitor.

...Oh, this may not be relevant to the way your system is setup, but LAX is also the place where I can show a 10% performance pop using 4133 memory over 3200.

Nice boost from memory 😂 I am still at 2400 DDR3 .

Despite all these improvements do you see those FTXSCA pauses as well?

Thanks Michael Moe ( love KLAX area)

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Unfortunately, yet conversely, I spend more time researching products than I do flying my coveted aircraft in the hobby I share with this community.

It is a known fact, (for those who have the time privilege to research like I do), the ORBX regions (specifically NA Southern California), are hard on the CPU and GPU rendering components. Some of their airports are horrendous on FPS as well. I uninstalled them remorsefully. I won`t complain (over there) for the obvious reasons but wish to chime in briefly here if I may.

I`m not flaming ORBX because I have several of their Global Base products like: FTX Global Base pack, FTX openLC North America, and the PNW region, not to mention all the add-ons I had from the FSX (disc versions) days past which I won`t reinstall. I lost them anyway.

I also have Flightbeam KSFO, (just to test), on Global Base/NA openLC and my frames on 4K are very good and smooth. Funny thing how the developer for Flightbeam just recently stated that they dropped a previous installer, whom they were associated with, but out of respect failed to call it out. Many of you know what I am referring to.

Now I keep add-ons to a minimum. I will not touch NA Southern Cal for other reasons. Why pay for something that you have to nerf into "bare-bones" config settings when you run a 5,000.00 flight-sim rig and have it degrade your "high-end" aircraft flight performance? It makes no sense. No amount of tweaking will fix a broken product. So why support it?

Been in this hobby too long. Now I want a smooth flight experience (not perpetual tweaking), or broken vaporware until I make the next un-researched purchase, which I probably will in this "beta" driven culture.

Sorry for the wall of text.

Cheers.

CPU: 8700K, 32MB RAM, GTX1080ti, M.2 NVME SSD< Win10/64bit, P3Dv4.3, 4K Monitor, etc.

One thing I've experimented with to smooth things out (in SCA and PNW in particular) is moving the hundreds of ORBX-enhanced small airport files and their associated object files via a batch file that sequesters them to another folder.  It does help.  If I want to use one of their enhanced fields, I can always move it back for the flight at hand.

@FunknNasty--I am focusing on memory performance with my impending next build, as I think you're on to something with respect to memory bandwidth.  I suspect that some (most?) of the few remaining stutter/performance challenges I have are related to starving the CPU of data when a big group of autogen or other scenery objects are batch loaded.  Typically, these stutters happen with CPU and GPU loads considerably less than 100%, so that frame rate clipping is not attributable to maxxed processor loads.  I've also noted other folks observing a plateau in performance when overclocking beyond a certain point, which also is suggestive that maybe the CPU, though running faster, is waiting for data, and thus has its throughput capped.  Next build is using good Samsung B-die RAM that's factory-rated at 3600MHz with 15-15-15-39 timings (8.33ns true latency), which is a ~13% improvement in memory bandwidth from what I'm using now.

There's a lot of smoke and haze around memory performance, and I find that most of the "memory speed doesn't make a difference" conclusions I read are drawn by folks without much understanding of the engineering.  The retailers make lots of money selling premium-priced "fast" RAM to people that don't understand that 3600 MHz CAS 18 RAM is not one bit faster than 3000 MHz CAS 15 RAM.  They both have the same 10ns true latency, and in fact, they're likely to both use the same ICs!

Looking forward to experimenting with this around KLAX...the results should be illuminating one way or the other.

Regards

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

6 hours ago, Michael Moe said:

Despite all these improvements do you see those FTXSCA pauses as well?

Thanks Michael Moe ( love KLAX area)

The short and easy answer is no.  

"( love KLAX area)"  Yeah me too! and I'm a Bay Area guy.

EDIT:

Oh, and that 2400Mhz memory ....Michael?  In my memory testing, i did test a 2400 C10 config, not good. 🙂

Edited by FunknNasty

4 hours ago, w6kd said:

Looking forward to experimenting with this around KLAX...the results should be illuminating one way or the other.

Regards

The test bed I used:

midday (I think it was late spring - clear skies or fair (shouldn't make a difference) - Orbix So Cal and FSDT LAX - PMDG 747 in take off position at 24L - unlimited fps no vsync - my usual airliner ai traffic

pm me for test method

I think you're in for a pleasant surprise with that new hardware.