Sign in to follow this  
michal

Does Ariane justify the money?

Guest XaRGoN

their products cost a lot of money and I will like to know it's worth the money ?For example the 737BBJ Thanks

Guest bobsk8

If you do a search on Ariane on this forum you will find tons of information on this topic, both pro and con...

Guest ThrottleUp

It depends on your simming personality.If you are a casual simmer (create GPS plan, jump in a plane and go) then these products will be a waste of your money - plenty of free 737s out there. Keep an eye out for Poskys stonking new 737-800! Its gonna be cool. Also lots of nice panels out there too.On the other hand if you are obsessed with accurate systems-simulation and want your FS9 jaunt to be as realistic as it can get..then products made by PMDG & Ariane are worth it. The PMDG 747-400 for example uses data supplied by Boeing itself and has impressed drivers of the real thing.But just to throw a spanner in the works: theres people like me who like nice-looking wingviews and pretty visual models: and so I got the PMDG 737s for that reason only. I dont use its panel even. There.....even simming has its strange ones :(

Guest rpjkw1155

I'm a casual simmer, but I, too, like great visuals. I learned a long time ago to buy any aircraft I want and replace those panels, even soundsets, with ones I prefer. I think of it as buying a model rather than a system and that attitude allows me to enjoy what I consider to the best of all worlds. To those "hardcore" simmers, I say "Thank you" because your demand for perfection and detail has done wonders to improve the overall quality of FS software. Each year it just gets better and better.Bob

Guest ThrottleUp

-------------------------------------------------------------------- To those "hardcore" simmers, I say "Thank you" because your demand for perfection and detail has done wonders to improve the overall quality of FS software.--------------------------------------------------------------------Oh yea I second that :) I also know its proably too much trouble for the big guys like PMDG to worry about casual simmers like us but imagine how cool it would be if they released a "visual-model only" package for wingview & screenshot freaks :)

>but imagine how cool it would be if they>released a "visual-model only" package for wingview &>screenshot freaks :) You say that as if there were more than one... :-eekCheersBob ScottATP IMEL Gulfstream II-III-IV-V L-300Santiago de Chile

>their products cost a lot of money and I will like to know>it's worth the money ?>>For example the 737BBJ >>>ThanksHaving had my fair share of runins with the various iterations of Peter Tishma's flightsim outfits, I wanted to appoarch arianedesign with an open mind. Bought and downloaded their Boeing Business Jet, gave it a thorough workout, and deleted it off of my harddrive. I don't want to get into the details again of what's wrong with the plane, but just to give three points about value:1) If you accidentally delete all of the files, there seems to be no way to get any of them back. Ariane automatically assumes that you are trying to pirate their software. 2) There is virtual no way to establish any kind of coherent communication with Ariane. All you can do is to write emails and ask questions, most of which will be answered along the lines of rtfm. 3) The 500 page operations manual that comes with the jet has piracy warnings on every other page. I don't do business with companies that treat their paying customers like children. Put differently, interacting with Ariane is an exercise in constant frustration and anger - I'd hardly call that value. ricardo

sometimes I wonder if the money they dont spend in advertising goes to paying off forum users to constantly ask the same questions again over and over to stir up more debate and more PR for their company

There are some who say that even bad name recognition can be a good thing in advertising.But...as the Huey Lewis song says, "sometimes bad is bad"Don't think O.J. Simpson is getting too many advertising contracts out of the fact that his name is a household word.I have to believe that most of the poor chaps that end up having an "Ariane moment," as I reluctantly admit to having once done, did so because the story of Peter Tishma stopped being told. I think these threads serve a purpose by at least giving the new guy on the block a fighting chance to discover the history.RegardsBob ScottATP IMEL Gulfstream II-III-IV-V L-300Santiago de Chile

Guest Adverse Yawn

>>...and has impressed drivers of the real thingWhere did you find this information?

I bought a B737 classic from them (a few months prior to FeelThere bringing out their product). I noted that the installation changed my FS9 splash-screen, and I can't recall the installer asking me if I wanted that. So, every time I started up FS9 I would get a splash of the Ariane bird.I also don't like their paranoia about piracy. I don't advocate nor support piracy, and also realize that there has to be some form of control over limiting what happens to downloaded s/w. I think that Flight One have really got that part of it right.I flew the Ariane bird twice and wasn't impressed, although its too far long ago now for me to recall the specifics. But I had no problems down-loading the files and running them.Bruce.

Guest ThrottleUp

----------------------------------------------------"and has impressed drivers of the real thing"Where did you find this information?----------------------------------------------------In the latest issue of "Airliner World" there is a review of the PMDG 747 by a real-world 747-400 pilot :)http://www.airlinerworld.com/current_issue...c_feb06_150.jpg

>There are some who say that even bad name recognition can be>a good thing in advertising.>>But...as the Huey Lewis song says, "sometimes bad is bad">>Don't think O.J. Simpson is getting too many advertising>contracts out of the fact that his name is a household word.>>I have to believe that most of the poor chaps that end up>having an "Ariane moment," as I reluctantly admit to having>once done, did so because the story of Peter Tishma stopped>being told. I think these threads serve a purpose by at least>giving the new guy on the block a fighting chance to discover>the history.>>Regards>>Bob Scott>ATP IMEL Gulfstream II-III-IV-V L-300>Santiago de ChileBob,..you are a funny guy....And who on earth says that it is PT who still runs Ariane? I suggest that you ask those who met the real Ariane head on various "simmers get together meetings".There was recently infact a thread about this, but I can

>And who on earth says that it is PT who still runs Ariane? And who on earth says he's not still there? He crept in anonymously in the dead of night under the Ariane flag after other similar reincarnations. Why would we assume he's not still there pulling the strings? I look at the advertising hype on their website and still see his fingerprints everywhere.If Tishma still so much as drinks tea with those guys, I don't want anything to do with them.RegardsBob ScottATP IMEL Gulfstream II-III-IV-V L-300Santiago de Chile

>>And who on earth says that it is PT who still runs Ariane? >>And who on earth says he's not still there? He crept in>anonymously in the dead of night under the Ariane flag after>other similar reincarnations. Why would we assume he's not>still there pulling the strings? >>I look at the advertising hype on their website and still see>his fingerprints everywhere.>>If Tishma still so much as drinks tea with those guys, I don't>want anything to do with them.>>Regards>>Bob Scott>ATP IMEL Gulfstream II-III-IV-V L-300>Santiago de ChileLet me ask you something....Did he do something to you personally? Because it sure sounds like it....;-)http://www.scandicair.com/images/sa_banner.gifYes, I had to change my sig, due to another forum which does not "like" animated banners. So inorder to simplify, I have "one for all". :-roll :-erks :-boom

But the question I believe was value. And NOTHING I have read over the last year implies value commensurate with the asking price. Every review I have read compares it favorably to the PMDG series, but never reports a new level of simulation or technical advance. Ariane can charge what they want and I can label their approach as I choose. Their products are a rip off at twice the price of any comparable product. Their service is unremarkable and I would not recommend a purchase. And if history is repeated, Ariane will disappear and emerge under a slightly different name; unencumbered by previous product commitments and customers. I don't trust them. Sorry. Bob....

>But the question I believe was value. And NOTHING I have read>over the last year implies value commensurate with the asking>price. Every review I have read compares it favorably to the>PMDG series, but never reports a new level of simulation or>technical advance. >>Ariane can charge what they want and I can label their>approach as I choose. Their products are a rip off at twice>the price of any comparable product. Their service is>unremarkable and I would not recommend a purchase. And if>history is repeated, Ariane will disappear and emerge under a>slightly different name; unencumbered by previous product>commitments and customers. I don't trust them. Sorry. >>>Bob....Hi Bob,That

>Let me ask you something....>>Did he do something to you personally? Because it sure sounds>like it....;-)No, he didn't. Read the history. Bernie Ebbers never did anything to me, either, and there's no way I'd ever touch a company he had a hand in running, either. Unless it's putting a set of license plates he made in prison on my car...RegardsBob ScottATP IMEL Gulfstream II-III-IV-V L-300Santiago de Chile

>>Let me ask you something....>>>>Did he do something to you personally? Because it sure>sounds>>like it....;-)>>No, he didn't. Read the history. >>Bernie Ebbers never did anything to me, either, and there's no>way I'd ever touch a company he had a hand in running, either.> Unless it's putting a set of license plates he made in prison>on my car...>>Regards>>Bob Scott>ATP IMEL Gulfstream II-III-IV-V L-300>Santiago de ChileHmm,..so I guess that makes you a true "rolemodel" to all of us. :-lolhttp://www.scandicair.com/images/sa_banner.gifYes, I had to change my sig, due to another forum which does not "like" animated banners. So inorder to simplify, I have "one for all". :-roll :-erks :-boom

Guest daniel.alm

>>Let me put it this way,...I am surely not a CRT cockpit guy.>But I have purchased both PMDG and Ariane 737

>>>>>Let me put it this way,...I am surely not a CRT cockpit guy.>>But I have purchased both PMDG and Ariane 737

Guest daniel.alm

>>>Hi Daniel,>>As I said,.."I am not a CRT guy". :-)Uhh, sorry, I forgot to put the NOT on my answer. I'm a Tupolev Tu-154 fan, so that says it all ;-) >>The thing with the Ariane VCe 2Di panel is that it gives you a>much more "real" feeling of beeing in the cockpit than>anything else available. Well maybe the Bac 1-11 by David>Maltby is the other one.But are the refresh rates acceptable? >Default AP? Who said that? Is the default FS AP able to be>coupled with a FMC

Hi,>But are the refresh rates acceptable? Since it doesn