Sign in to follow this  
Sesquashtoo

Man...you ARE at Chicago!

Recommended Posts

Just looked around from the G.A. parking apron. The airport and downtown look really good in the view.

I have the sim at Ultra, with Shadows as Insane...and no lower, at any time than 109 FPS!  Amazing...:cool:

 

Ok,  I have one negative comment...over Meigs...is that Orbx used a really low level zl numerical factor, that wraps around the Chicago downtown, and in my opinion, ruins the immersion factor of the product.  I can do much better, with Ortho4XP at zl17.  It looks to me, like it was generated at zl 14 or 15.  Not clear and crisp at all.  This is one disappointment. They could have done better, and yeah...no matter what the download size...they should have upgraded the zl factor for the suburbs.  Other than that...the airport and downtown core is top notch.  For the surrouding ortho...sadly, a fail.

If money is a constraint (and when is it not?!?)  If I had to choose either or, from Meigs, or LOWI, I'd pass on Meigs...LOWI is done much better for immersion, much better.  Other than the downtown area, just off of Meigs, and the airport property itself, the suburbs...looks like crap. Blurry, and ill-defined land textures, and the objects captured by sat upon it.  They should have offered a higher better quality sat factor, than this, for what surrounds the downtown, and Meigs, or what is known as the Greater Chicago Area.  
 

Innsbruck is the much better product for most aspects.  My opinion. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Thanks for the review. I was already planning to first only get LOWI because an old airport that doesn't exist anymore (Meigs) doesn't interest me and the surrounding of LOWI is more to my liking. I already feared the surrounding of Chicago might look a bit empty and low res...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, J van E said:

Thanks for the review. I was already planning to first only get LOWI because an old airport that doesn't exist anymore (Meigs) doesn't interest me and the surrounding of LOWI is more to my liking. I already feared the surrounding of Chicago might look a bit empty and low res...

Yeah..quite disappointing.  I mean the airport property is top notch, and the downtown core as well...but honestly...as soon as I rotated....and left that mentioned area...I said #####?????

The 'flat' buildings, homes, etc...are so crude, chunky, blurry, that they look like splotches of color.  C'mon...Orbx...are you kidding?  I thought something was up, with that the download was so small, and so fast...and got a bad feeling in that.   Actually, it looked like a rush job they had no enthusiasm for....they did the airport...they converted the downtown...and be damned with the G.C.A.  Let's save time, bandwidth  and money, and it shows.  You enjoy the airport, you taxi, you take off..because it IS a flight simulator, and not an airport simulator...and that's where the immersion falls apart?  Really...Orbx?

My own Ortho4XP generated ortho...is so much better and clearer in resolution, that you don't actually NEED 3D autogen to 'sell' the immersion...but nice to have.  With Orbx's Meigs, you NEED any 3D help, to hide the dang low grade ortho underlay, and distract your view/attention of it!

I'd tell everyone to save their money...LOWI is top notch.  As for Meigs,  I now regret buying it, unless they upgrade the product, and put out a higher, more detailed ortho city surround as an update, until then...I regret buying it.

I tell it, as I see it...the good, and the bad...:(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Sesquashtoo said:

Innsbruck is the much better product for most aspects.  My opinion. 

The state of Meigs is in flux. Don't forget that a huge expansion for that area is coming soon, and possibly other changes as well. In the end, Meigs might even become the better value.......... as far as sheer acreage.... :emu_melk:

PARK.jpg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, HiFlyer said:

The state of Meigs is in flux. Don't forget that a huge expansion for that area is coming soon, and possibly other changes as well. In the end, Meigs might even become the better value.......... as far as sheer acreage.... :emu_melk:

PARK.jpg

 

Let's sure as hockey-sticks, hope so!  Right now, I have no further interest past rotation.... 

I'll await any future update(ing), by sitting in the bush....

Ses

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Sesquashtoo said:

Let's sure as hockey-sticks, hope so!  Right now, I have no interest past rotation.... :(  You leave the ground and the airport behind you.......and that's your first mistake...LOL!

Ses

I think in this one, you are just seeing what happens when you release perhaps a bit before everything is quite ready.......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, HiFlyer said:

I think in this one, you are just seeing what happens when you release perhaps a bit before everything is quite ready.......

Total agreement, HiFlyer.

It would have saved them a negative review...and I am far from a negative personality. Far from it...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great review Mitch!  I am going to hold off on purchasing Meigs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, pugilist2 said:

Great review Mitch!  I am going to hold off on purchasing Meigs.

Wise decision. You should wait, and see what they do, for the G.C.A.  with any update(s). Chicago is not about one airport, and the immediate downtown waterfront.  The rest of the 'burb's and Counties is a waste of time, to fly over, as it stands now. Totally ruins the entire project/purchase, (my opinion), as it stands on June 15/16 2017, and as is released to date.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks.  I am really waiting for Orbx to release Southern Ca or whatever they decide to call it in Aerofly FS2.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I bought Meigs for 2 reasons:

My flight sim career started there with FS4.
I want to support OrbX to publish the large scenery patch.

Actually, Meigs has been released too early, but the date was fixed by JV's birthday.
They diminished the negative impression by the announcement of the large area.
 

Rodeo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/19/2017 at 3:10 AM, rc_rodeo said:

I bought Meigs for 2 reasons:

My flight sim career started there with FS4.
I want to support OrbX to publish the large scenery patch.

Actually, Meigs has been released too early, but the date was fixed by JV's birthday.
They diminished the negative impression by the announcement of the large area.
 

Rodeo

I want to support Orbx all the way in creating for AF2.  I have it, but will wait for updates, before I try to enjoy it as a total Chicago package. I shoot approaches into Meigs, but right now, there is nothing to explore beyond that. I hope this changes very soon. It could be a great product, beyond simply the airport and downtown water-line.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this