Sign in to follow this  
Richard McDonald Woods

Ending support for older simulator versions?

1 hour ago, MikeT707 said:

Sarcasm my friend, sarcasm. I was poking fun of people who fly in old versions of flight sim who like to say they do not get OOM's and all of their flight sim needs are met from now to eternity, yet they do not experience the wonderful environment of v4. I threw in the "illegal' comment as an extra fun dig at those who cling to that point.

Ah...now you mention it, Mike, that would make sense! 😁

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

3 hours ago, Christopher Low said:

I have to be honest here and say that I don't recall all that many wonderful things about Microsoft Flight Simulator between FS5 and FS2000. In fact, that is one of the reasons why I used Flight Unlimited 3 exclusively between 1999 and 2008.

The era you refer to is when MSFS became available on CD-ROM, Airliners & helicopters were added, Virtual cockpits, 3D hardware acceleration was added, global trans-oceanic travel became possible, just to name a few things ...honestly pretty wonderful progress if you ask me.

Flight Unlimited 3 is a wonderful sim too.

On 19/06/2017 at 7:31 PM, pracines said:

The era you refer to is when MSFS became available on CD-ROM, Airliners & helicopters were added, Virtual cockpits, 3D hardware acceleration was added, global trans-oceanic travel became possible, just to name a few things ...honestly pretty wonderful progress if you ask me.

Flight Unlimited 3 is a wonderful sim too.

I'm glad to see you are still waving the flag for the 'old tech' sims Paul, as well as being into FSX offshoots such as P3D. 

I remember a while back when you were heavily promoting the Nexgen flight sim on various forums, despite many simmers and developers pointing out the limitations of both NGIS's approach, and the Unigine engine, which sadly all came to nothing.

Latest update on NGIS btw

http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/nexgen-flight-sim-has-finally-folded.440395/

As someone who only moved to P3D in March I am not yet ready for another sim especially when FS Labs have given no assurances either way about ConcordeX in a 64-bit P3D.

That will be the deal breaker for me. If they do successfully convert it then I'll switch pretty quickly. If they don't then I will have to keep v3.4 on my system as well as eventually getting v4.

Flying around at Mach 0.85 would be a huge step backwards for me irrespective of how nice the flight deck looks on a PMDG or equivalent.

Fingers remain firmly crossed.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

2 hours ago, MidFlight77 said:

I'm glad to see you are still waving the flag for the 'old tech' sims Paul, as well as being into FSX offshoots such as P3D. 

I remember a while back when you were heavily promoting the Nexgen flight sim on various forums, despite many simmers and developers pointing out the limitations of both NGIS's approach, and the Unigine engine, which sadly all came to nothing.

Latest update on NGIS btw

http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/nexgen-flight-sim-has-finally-folded.440395/

Hi Mid,

I wave the flag of "where we came from" because I think its good to remember this. I'm very glad LM has moved on to 64-bit.

Yesterday I had a wonderful flight using the PMDG 744 from KMIA-KIAD-EGLL with 1:30 stop at KIAD. It was a most excellent experience with just about max settings, 100% UTL traffic, ASv4/ASCA/Envtex, Orbx FTX etc.. No less than 15 FPS and smooth the whole time. I think I may fly from EGLL to YSSY in the PMDG 777LR, because I can now :-)  

I will still fly in FS4 or some other old version from time to time just to keep the memory fresh.

A while back I was supporting any effort for a 64-bit flight simulator; I had emails to DTG back then too. There is a lot I have done concerning this that you don't know about. In light of the OP, I hope 32-bit quickly fades into history for us to remember what once was.

What is your position concerning the OP? 

• Upvote 1

On 23/06/2017 at 7:48 PM, pracines said:

What is your position concerning the OP? 

I say 'let it run'...as long as it has TooWings ;-)

:biggrin:

3 hours ago, MidFlight77 said:

I say 'let it run'...as long as it has TooWings ;-)

:biggrin:

And it does; like I said, I run older versions often enough. But unlike P3Dv4, FS1-P3Dv3 are part of an old era that should not be concentrated on for the sake of technological advancements in the home based flight sim industry.

Not a hatred of the old, just embracing the long awaited new. 

On 6/19/2017 at 6:23 PM, laserit said:

Developers are going to go where the money is.

Doesn't get any simpler than that.

True...

And where they believe the future lies... 

Best regards,
--Anders Bermann--

Pilot-ID: SAS2471